johnbuckley

"Vader" Certainly Isn't Any Prettier

Or even the 4 way control pad?  Touchscreen interface?

Or is this fake and another C-M moment?

Discussion started here..

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

As I wrote in the other thread, I like it very very much. The front looks to me nicer than the SL, it looks more a camera now. 

But as always happens when a new product is launched everybody screams that is ugly, garbage and doesn't work good, the death of the brand and so on… well the old story, that after some months, magically comes all the other way around. 🙂

I didn't realize that the conversation was going on on that thread. But since it's already 27 pages long, probably time for a new and dedicated thread on the design.

I can live with a FN button and a PLAY button taking up elements of what the programmable buttons did. And yes, we had a new button on the front. But the four programmable buttons were an elegant design option on the SL. Hate to see them go...

1 hour ago, johnbuckley said:

And where are our four programmable buttons on the back...

Also, the strap lugs are shown hanging out from the body. And as noted, perhaps forced use of touchscreen. Cost-savings seems to have a good portion of the goal. This is great -- my SL is now a valuable collectible!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, CharlesL said:

Also, the strap lugs are shown hanging out from the body. And as noted, perhaps forced use of touchscreen. Cost-savings seems to have a good portion of the goal. This is great -- my SL is now a valuable collectible!

Electronics will never be collectibles, IMHO

5 hours ago, johnbuckley said:

And where are our four programmable buttons on the back...

If the photo is a true representation of the SL2, it's suggestive of a larger and heavier, interchangeable lens version of the Q2 ... actual features to be determined.

Let’s assume this rumor is true. It makes sense.. they wouldn’t drastically change the design. This is an incremental change. Up and up in a few areas. Keeping up, but no big splash. Because they have a plan to keep us buying and buying and buying... I get it.

But, shouldn’t we be a little miffed about that? Come on people. I drank the kool-aid a long time ago, but I also realize the limitations that we all overpay for. If leica wants to make me really pay me for a master Karbe APO lens, I’m fine with it... but the time of Leica making innovative camera bodies has long since past and I don’t think we should just accept what they give us... we certainly shouldn’t just pay 5-6k for what Sony did 5 years ago. 

I sincerely hope that the Japanese website is wrong about the new "dumbed down" fixed/labelled function rear button layout. The original programmable/unlabelled 4 button layout of the SL was one of the best things about the SL and along with the configurable other buttons, made the SL really stand out from the crowd of "me too" DSLR cameras, when it became the first high end mirrorless. It is why in spite of its weight, I still prefer using the SL to the CL. Changing to a fixed button layout would be a huge retrograde step, pandering to those too lazy or too stupid to set the up the configurable buttons. If that is the case, go and buy a point and shoot or like 99% of the rest of the world, take selfies with your phone. 

If the leaked layout is correct, I may well cancel my order for an SL2, just stick with my current SL and buy an M11 when that comes out instead, hoping that Leica don't manage to mess that up. 

Wilson

actually in last youtube interview with red dot camera, Dr Kaufmann gave us hints about SL2 using 3 buttons lay out in CL style. 

He just said, that they were thinking about it. Seems like, UI uniformity across the range is better for most customers.

Disregarding the mentioned 47mpx  and the other enhanced functional bits as I can’t see why I would need them.

From a design perspective - appreciating that the new look as shown will have its appeal to many - I just picked up my ‘Old’ SL, gave it a little clean and thought wow, you are something really quite special.

10 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

actually in last youtube interview with red dot camera, Dr Kaufmann gave us hints about SL2 using 3 buttons lay out in CL style. 

He just said, that they were thinking about it. Seems like, UI uniformity across the range is better for most customers.

better for some customers..not most.

and 4 completely customizable buttons is better than 3 fixed ones with deep menus