nikon coolscan 9000ed - help/advice needed

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm wondering if any of you would be able to offer me some advice with this.

Scanning tonight, went to insert the negative holder and the front door/flap broke. This has happened before, a few years ago, and I had it repaired at the Camera Clinic here in Melbourne but I got the impression then that they wouldn't be all that interested in revisiting it if it happened again. Still, I'll call them tomorrow.

I've emailed a fellow named Gleb Shtengel in Germany - his website is a bit unclear, but he may or may not be able to help. Without the flap, the scanner is useless.

Can anyone suggest any other options? Good condition CS9000EDs seem to be upwards of $5,000 and I just can't afford that sort of money right now. There are Plusteks, Epsons and things I guess but I really like the quality of output from the Nikon.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for that. I saw that page but it kind of stopped short of saying that he could supply a part. I've emailed him to find out what he can offer, even if I have to send the thing to Germany or wherever. With his clear instructions I reckon I'd be happy to have a go at putting a replacement door in if I could get one.

I do appreciate your thoughts. Thanks and best regards, too. The Melbourne challenge seems a long time ago now!

• Like 2

Well, you pose a question on the LUF and you get immediate results.

I tried emailing the shtengel link but didn't hear back overnight. Doesn't mean I won't and if I do I'll post his response for future reference of anyone else having the same problem. However I had a PM from LUF member Gary Wyck who recommended a fellow named Frank who he'd used with success in the past. So just half an hour ago I emailed Frank at sforza746@yahoo.com and he replied from the USA straight away suggesting he could insert a 3D printed, metal reinforced flap for a reasonable premium on his mirror cleaning service. So it's off to the USA for my coolscan and I am confident it will come back better than ever.

Thank you so much 105012 and Gary W for your fast and thoughtful responses.

• Like 2

Great to hear you will have your scanner back better than new and can continue sharing with us all your wonderful film photographs! 

Thanks for the regards, yes the Melbourne challenge does seem long ago, we should do it again sometime (or this time make it Tassie?).

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Further to my queries that extended far and wide I received the following email from Gleb Shtengel (gleb@shtengel.com):

Hi, Philip,
I have just ordered a new batch of flap doors - I will have them in 2-3
weeks.
I will then need to do reinforcement on them. After that I can send you one.
I sell them for $65 plus the cost of shipping, which should be about $20
to Australia.
Gleb.

So there is an excellent piece of news, that Gleb is having these delicate and pesky doors 3D printed, then reinforcing them and offering them for sale. Again, when the door/flap goes, the scanner is rendered completely useless, so having a spare would seem like good insurance for a reasonable cost.

• Like 1

Great stuff, Phil. I'm very happy you found a solution. Just a question - why is the scanner useless without that flap? I haven't used mine in a while so I don't remember exactly how it works. Won't it scan without the flap in place? Or is it just to prevent dust and possibly (though I would have thought the tray blocks) stray light when scanning?

I actually cleaned the mirror on my 9000 myself (and wrote a piece on it). 

Best

Philip

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot Philip - I'm really happy to have found a solution, as thinking about the potential of photographic life without the trusty coolscan was not an attractive proposition. Yes, apparently the scanning mechanism is dependent on the flap being in place and operating correctly. Which is really stupid given that it's such a delicate part and, as you say, ostensibly only there to keep dust out of the guts. If the flap is not in place and operating correctly, there is no way you can use the scanner.

You were indeed "brave or foolhardy" to clean the mirror yourself, and I only say that given what I now know about the delicacy and importance of that @$#!&* flap at the front. However, given your positive write-up of your experience, and the fact that I'm going to purchase a spare reinforced flap "just in case", I think I'd be tempted to attempt that in the future.

All the very best regards,

Phil