Around the World With:

ktmrider2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As others and I think even I have said, the equipment mix is pretty irrelevant and we all have what we consider an optimum mix.  I could have taken an M2 with 35 and TriX and been fairly happy.  My photography is not good enough nor is photography an overriding hobby to be that concerned with the "best" lens or camera.  I find a post like this interesting to see what mix of gear people like to carry and it is obviously all different, not to need advise on what I want to carry.

I think Ansel Adams said that even the capabilities of a pinhole camera have never been fully exploited so we don't even come close with any modern film or digital.  Of everything I have owned in the last 45 years, the M2 /35/TriX combo is still my favorite.

I hope everyone has enjoyed reading the responses here as much as I have.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update:  Well, I left on my RTW trip in early September and spent a month in the Philippines scuba diving and exploring a beautiful country but I got homesick and decided that traveling around the world for half a year by myself was just too much.  So, I returned to the US on 9 October to see my daughter, my sister, enjoy some fall foliage and catch up on paperwork/taxes.  I have already booked a return to SE Asia (Vietnam) for 9 November from Dallas.

I left the US with a MP240 with 25f2.8 Zeiss, 50f1.2 Nokton and 90f2.8 Tele Elmarit M and well as a FujiX100F with 28 aux lens and flash unit.  Everything except the flash and aux lens fit in a Hadley Small. And a GoPro7 for diving.  It was too much.  Both the MP240 and X100F were used equally.  I did not use the 25 or 90 once and I did not use the flash at all.  I usually carried the Hadley Small with one system or the other.  The extra room held a small umbrella.

I have not finalized my camera gear for my departure on 9 Nov but it will be either the Fuji or the Leica, not both.  And some of the clothes have been replaced with scuba gear (did several dives with a rental mask that had pinholes in the skirt).  Am guessing the MP240 and 50f1.2 and GoPro7.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Literally, I am sitting in the departure area awaiting my flight to the Philippines.  I decided to travel lighter and simpler then last month.  For digital, I packed the FujiX100f with the WCL 28mm FOV accessory lens and a dedicated electronic flash and gorilla pod.  At the last minute I threw my M2 with 50 Summicron into my carryon with 20 rolls of assorted film.  I plan on using my phone for a light meter when needed.  Finally, I have a GoPro7 for underwater use since I plan on a lot more diving on this trip.  

My planned return is mid March.  From the Philippines, I will be exploring Vietnam.  I have visited all the rest of SE Asia before but may go overland from Vietnam down to Singapore.  

• Like 1