Renaming, resizing & printing with Lightroom CC (non-Classic)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Last year I migrated all my image catalogue to the Adobe cloud, and now use Lightroom CC (not Classic) and Photoshop CC for editing and image management. The benefits are that it is easy to import, edit and manage images while travelling, and exceptionally easy to share images with others. I find Lightroom CC and occasionally Photoshop CC do most of the editing I want, and the cloud is a major component of my backup system. There are some things they can't do, though:
- LR CC cannot batch rename files.
- LR CC cannot print; Photoshop CC can, but that is overkill.
- LR CC cannot resize images (resolution or canvas) except in a very basic way. Again Photoshop CC can, but that's overkill.

I have got round these limitations so far by:
- Reviewing and doing a first triage/cull of all images in Bridge CC, and renaming them there, before importing with LR CC. I may delete more once I see them in LR CC, but at least they are by then consistently named. (These original image files are also used to create my main off-line back up store).
- Exporting images for printing from LR CC as DNG originals plus edits, importing them into LR Classic and printing from there.
- Resizing in Photoshop CC.

One obvious solution is just to use LR Classic. But in developing the optimum off-line back up workflow for my images, I have encountered multiple problems in using LR Classic synced with LR CC (LR CC reorganised my LR Classic catalogue, frozen syncing, inflexible file management etc) so I only want to use LR Classic for simple tasks - for which, as I say, it seems overkill. And if I could drop LR Classic I could save a bit on my Adobe CC subscription.

I may have described the best solutions to my problems until Adobe updates LR CC with better renaming, resizing & printing facilities. But I may have missed some other obvious tools.
So, my question is: what are best alternative, simple, (and low cost) tools that do batch renaming, resizing and colour-managed printing? (Preferably for someone used to a Lightroom way of doing things).

I just use Classic, backing up on disks, etc, and use ImagePrint as an external editor for final edits and for printing.  IP optimizes all printer settings and eliminates issues with color management. I’ll drop Adobe if they ever mandate cloud storage.  Different strokes.

Jeff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zeitz said:

Why not just select Photo/Edit in/Edit in Photoshop for the functions that are not in Lightroom and then jump back to Lightroom when done in Photoshop?

Photoshop doesn't do batch renaming of DNGs so I need something else for that. Bridge is convenient.

I use PS at the moment for resizing. I could use Photoshop as well for printing, but I got used to LR Classic for printing and set up my print presets there. As far as I can tell, PS doesn't do print presets. And PS is slow to open - it never fails to tell you that it is a big powerful package and needs lots of supporting bits and pieces, all of which have to be loaded before you're allowed to see your image.

At the moment I can do all I need between Bridge (batch renaming), LR Classic (printing) and PS (resizing). But I have faint hope that there is some other package that can combine these three simple tasks! LR CC has its deficiencies, obviously; but then so does LR Classic. I prefer LR CC's deficiencies over LR Classics.

I may just have to wait till Adobe adds this functionality to LR CC.

1 hour ago, Exodies said:

One optimisation is to abandon renaming. I can’t imagine why you do this.

You really can't? 🙂

In case you are serious:
- It helps me quickly identify photos in programmes other than LR CC.
- It provides an additional search criterion in LR CC. 
- It's quicker (when you can do it) than adding keywords.
- It provides useful information to those to whom I send photos.

I'm sure I could think of others.
But please lets not turn this thread into an argument about whether file renaming is a good idea or not!

• 1 month later...

Paul

Take a wee look at Photomechanic https://home.camerabits.com you can download and use it for 30 days without charge.

I tried Lightroom once and was not happy with the cataloging system so I've been using Photomechanic since about 2001 and love it not only because it is very fast but also because :

I name my files as I ingest them, i.e. 2019_Marina_life_0001.dng and let it sequence the string - it's also very easy to rename individual or batch files

Before ingesting files, or after if I'm lazy, I enter all my IPTC data; 

Image Content, Description ,keywords, location, people, copyright information, contact information etc.

After ingesting; it's a breeze to sort through my images selecting first the keepers, then grading by color classes (there are 9) and star ratings of which there are 6

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The search and sort functions are pretty extensive; lens, body, grade, keyword, subject, you name it and you can probably use it to find images.

I can't imagine trying to sort or edit images without it.

All the best

George

4 hours ago, gfweir said:

Paul

Take a wee look at Photomechanic https://home.camerabits.com you can download and use it for 30 days without charge.

I tried Lightroom once and was not happy with the cataloging system so I've been using Photomechanic since about 2001 and love it not only because it is very fast but also because :

I name my files as I ingest them, i.e. 2019_Marina_life_0001.dng and let it sequence the string - it's also very easy to rename individual or batch files

Before ingesting files, or after if I'm lazy, I enter all my IPTC data; 

Image Content, Description ,keywords, location, people, copyright information, contact information etc.

After ingesting; it's a breeze to sort through my images selecting first the keepers, then grading by color classes (there are 9) and star ratings of which there are 6

The search and sort functions are pretty extensive; lens, body, grade, keyword, subject, you name it and you can probably use it to find images.

I can't imagine trying to sort or edit images without it.

All the best

George

Thanks, George. For my limited needs Bridge is doing the job at the moment. I import files from my SD card onto my hard drive, review and delete the non-keepers in Bridge, then rename them. Then I import them into Lightroom CC.

I was aware of PhotoMechanic and that it is well-regarded, but for the moment I don't think I need to pay for another app. The latest Lightroom CC mobile allows you to batch rename (though why one would want to do that on a phone, I have no idea), so I suspect batch renaming will be in the next Lightroon CC non-classic desktop app, which should be out this autumn. That leaves me with the hope that they will add image resizing and photo printing at the same time.