Do you think I'm crazy?

Supercooper

If that is what you want, why not?  The both Summiluxes are fairly close in character and focal length, so there is little objection to replace them with the Noctilux. Do take into account that the Noctilux is heavy and big, your camera will balance differently, and you will have to develop an "eye" for typical Noctilux photography. When used properly, the results are stunning, but too often it is used like "just a 50" which is a pity.

Hello Super,

Welcome to the Forum,

You will be trading the image capture ability of 2 lenses with 2 different angles of view, with 2 different types of out of focus images, for 1 heavier & harder to handle lens which, in most situations, will be able to produce images no better, no worse & no different than images produced with 1 of the 2 lenses that you will no longer have.

Except in the situations when you would be using the effectively 1 stop faster lens at its maximum aperture.

Using the Noctilux in place of the lens that covers the narrower angle of view at 1 stop or more of a lower aperture will be more difficult. Because it is larger & heavier.

The angle of coverage of the lens that covers the wider angle of view & all that goes with it will be entirely gone. Some people consider that lens with a wider angle of coverage to be useful in a variety of situations where the lens with the narrower angle of coverage does not do things quite as well, or at all.

Alternatively, Some people would buy 1 of the Noctiluxes in addition to their other lenses, instead of in place of it/them, because of what I wrote above. Since when you are not using the maximum apertures you are left with the limitations that I have written about here.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 2

You are not crazy if this is what you really want and you expect to use it wide open most of the time. But as others say, as soon as you stop it down, then you'll lose the only really benefit of the Noctilux.

Edited by evikne

Yes you are crazy, as all Noctilux users (or wannabes).

That said, if you have never used Noctilux, you'd be always haunted by the idea.

I loaned over time my Noctilux 1.0 to many people (to use at will some days or weeks).

Some bought one after that, but some many more people don't think of it anymore.

So you never know.

The best way, if you can, is to borrow / rent one for some days.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

Do you think I'm crazy?

Here at the M camera ranch, we're all crazy - some of us more so than others, that's all. 😜

I have found that trading off M lenses is the road to unavoidable frustration, misery and regret.  So, no - if it were me, I wouldn't do it. 

But as others have observed, if the Noctilux is what you truly desire, then take the plunge - and immediately start saving up to buy the inevitable replacements for your dearly departed 35 and 50 Summiluxes. 

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 8

Guest BlackBarn

The Nocti .95 is my standard lens.....love it to bits and wouldn’t swap it for anything. Wide open it does exactly what I am looking for in images and haven’t found anything else which ticks that box in the same way. Is it heavy?......obviously yes in comparison to other lenses but it just feels normal to me so weight is a non issue.

The advice given to try it out first is spot on. I strongly suggest you do not buy until you have tried and compared to what you already own. Buying this lens imagining what it is like to hold and shoot is not the way to go as the lenses you have are already quite special.

1 hour ago, albertknappmd said:

You are not CRAZY but remember, the Noctilux is tricky to use and is very heavy...

I would think about the decision and if you go ahead.. Good luck!

The Nocti 0.95 ASPH is only tricky to use if the lens or camera isn’t properly calibrated. But it is heavy! It weighs almost as much as a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II, to put it into perspective. 

• Like 1