leica q-p display and evf

quesi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

just got my Q-P back from the repair center, they are telling me that everything is fine with my Q-P, but, are your images in camera also looking like this? 

See the red stuff?

somehow its not on all images... please check your Q and tell me. 

Edited by quesi

3 hours ago, quesi said:

just got my Q-P back from the repair center, they are telling me that everything is fine with my Q-P, but, are your images in camera also looking like this? 

See the red stuff?

somehow its not on all images... please check your Q and tell me. 

That is very strange. I just looked at my Q2. I cannot see anything like you show while looking at a similar ceiling. Possibly I can see just a hint of red, but it’s very subtle and I have to look very closely to even think it’s there. It’s not a problem for me if it’s even there?? 

You say it’s not on all images. I’d be asking is it on any images and can you print that out and show it to Leica? How about a more controlled test of photographing a white wall or white poster board then seeing if it’s got a red tint. 

A very strange artifact. Is it also on the EVF? Are your settings for the display all at default? Do you by some chance have something casting a red shadow onto your ceiling? Can you duplicate this in another scene? Do you have a filter on the lens? I’d remove it  

Good luck. I’m anxious to see what the root of this is. Please keep us updated. 

Edited by Leica Guy

strangely enough, I do remember seeing pretty much the same pink blotches at times when doing exactly what you're doing: pointing my Q at my off-white living room walls. But I don't think I've seen them anywhere else and certainly not evident in actual photos taken, except for some moire, which is a different thing of course.

Strange..... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

That is very strange. I just looked at my Q2. I cannot see anything like you show while looking at a similar ceiling. Possibly I can see just a hint of red, but it’s very subtle and I have to look very closely to even think it’s there. It’s not a problem for me if it’s even there?? 

You say it’s not on all images. I’d be asking is it on any images and can you print that out and show it to Leica? How about a more controlled test of photographing a white wall or white poster board then seeing if it’s got a red tint. 

A very strange artifact. Is it also on the EVF? Are your settings for the display all at default? Do you by some chance have something casting a red shadow onto your ceiling? Can you duplicate this in another scene? Do you have a filter on the lens? I’d remove it  

Good luck. I’m anxious to see what the root of this is. Please keep us updated. 

its only in camera and in lightroom library preview, but not in lightroom develop mode, im glad that it seems like only the preview files are like this, and not the whole file. thats so weird. if i want to show to leica i have to take a picture of the whole camera display with another cam. 

Yes, also through the evf. 

yes i reseted the camera multiple times .

i guess its a defective mainboard, since the display seems to work. 

here one more example.. the distoreted one of the display is taken with my handy and the second pic is the same file

anyhow im pretty sure it has to do something with the preview files because what you see in camera is not the whole dng, its just like a compressed preview file, and when i test with a jpg shot it is not so heavy distorted. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sounds like a jpg problem. They would be the preview file. Can you try shooting jpg + DNG and then compare the two in LR? Just guessing. Very strange. Hopefully strange enough that you can get Leica’s attention and get it fixed. 

Not just red. You can see some green bleeding through too.

Is it there at ISO 100? 

The pixelation may also be a clue, but perhaps that’s from an iPhone taking the screen shot? 

Set jpg resolution to large  

Latest SW? 

Edited by Leica Guy

1 hour ago, Leica Guy said:

Sounds like a jpg problem. They would be the preview file. Can you try shooting jpg + DNG and then compare the two in LR? Just guessing. Very strange. Hopefully strange enough that you can get Leica’s attention and get it fixed. 

Not just red. You can see some green bleeding through too.

Is it there at ISO 100? 

The pixelation may also be a clue, but perhaps that’s from an iPhone taking the screen shot? 

Set jpg resolution to large  

Latest SW? 

still, in lightroom everything is fine excpet for a bit of banding. -.- 

yes iso100 shots are the very first two pictures i linked when i opened this topic.

pixelation... guess you mean the heavy banding, most of it is also only in camera, just like the red noise. but in lightroom the banding looks like normal slight banding or not even visible just like the red stuff. 

yes jpg is on largest setting.

yes on latest version. :)

what a pitty but at least the files dont look like this in large.

Edited by quesi

1 hour ago, quesi said:

still, in lightroom everything is fine excpet for a bit of banding. -.- 

yes iso100 shots are the very first two pictures i linked when i opened this topic.

pixelation... guess you mean the heavy banding, most of it is also only in camera, just like the red noise. but in lightroom the banding looks like normal slight banding or not even visible just like the red stuff. 

yes jpg is on largest setting.

yes on latest version. :)

what a pitty but at least the files dont look like this in large.

I’ve exhausted my ideas for the moment. It looks unacceptable to me. I guess I’d document everything I could including photos like you’ve already been taking then send in back to Leica. 

Perhaps someone else on here has another idea. 

I wish I could help you more. 

Dan

21 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

I’ve exhausted my ideas for the moment. It looks unacceptable to me. I guess I’d document everything I could including photos like you’ve already been taking then send in back to Leica. 

Dan

hey dan, it is much appreciated, thank you. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2019 at 11:29 PM, Leica Guy said:

Dan

Today Leica tried to tell me that all Q's have this and will be solved with the next update. But y'all don't have this issue right? they told me it's the auto white balance, i would have to work with the other white balance settings and stop using the auto white balance. why would someone buy a camera like that.

so, they wont/ can't fix it. actually in my opinion, changing the mainboard will fix it because y'all don't have this issue, but since he told me all other q's are the same they can't do that. so i have to ask for a exchange because they didn't offer me any exchange, instead i should wait for an update but only the German Leica God knows when that is coming. :) 

Very Disappointed right now from that Service. 

So, if anybody else is having this issue please let me know!

best,...

I'm confused as to whether you're saying this is only showing in the EVF preview or is visible in actual images when reviewed on a computer. The Q EVF has always been less-than-great in low light – I see pink/red in a white ceiling in low light – I also see quite a bit of posterization. But this shouldn't show up in the images themselves.

22 minutes ago, Leica Guy said:

I thought Quesi said they show up in jpg’s but not DNG’s. That could be a white balance artifact I suppose. It’s on both the EVF and rear LCD. 

nope i actually just shoot dng but they are in dng and jpg, Yes EVF and LCD preview, also in lightroom LIBRARY PREVIEW not in develop mode so the actual file is ok.

Qwesi

i seem to remember reading that when you don’t record a jpg with the DNG, then the previews are not directly generated and are low resolution  jpg’s built from the DNG.    You should experiment by switching JPG +DNG on, and seeing if the previews improve. 

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lucerne said:

Qwesi

i seem to remember reading that when you don’t record a jpg with the DNG, then the previews are not directly generated and are low resolution  jpg’s built from the DNG.    You should experiment by switching JPG +DNG on, and seeing if the previews improve. 

hi appreciate your input, i think i tried all the settings, also those which i would definitely never use. 

but the problem is actually that i should not have to experiment at all.

to be exactly, for that price i should have gotten a flawless, fully working camera without any ifs or buts.

25 minutes ago, quesi said:

hi appreciate your input, i think i tried all the settings, also those which i would definitely never use. 

but the problem is actually that i should not have to experiment at all.

to be exactly, for that price i should have gotten a flawless, fully working camera without any ifs or buts.

True, but Unfortunately that’s not the Leica way!   On one M they introduced the horizontal level.  On the next model they removed the horizontal level (and the electrical device that supported the feature).  Then  they reintroduced it on an updated model.  More money!

same with the shutter sound. Too loud on the M10, so they introduced a modification that we had to pay for.   

I think that the task of creating a jpg solely from the dng required a technical compromise.  Not a fault really.

personally, I was very happy with my M9 but was initially attracted to the higher spec of newer models.  I wish I hadn’t got tempted to upgrade. 

If -as users- we force Leica to stretch their technical capabilities, we’ll pay a high price every three years.

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, lucerne said:

Unfortunately that’s not the Leica way!   On one M they introduced the horizontal level.  On the next model they removed the horizontal level (and the electrical device that supported the feature).  Then  they reintroduced it on an updated model.  More money!

same with the shutter sound. Too loud on the M10, so they introduced a modification that we had to pay for.   

I think that the task of creating a jpg solely from the dng required a technical compromise.  Not a fault really.

personally, I was very happy with my M9 but was initially attracted to the higher spec of newer models.  I wish I hadn’t got tempted to upgrade. 

If -as users- we force Leica to stretch their technical capabilities, we’ll pay a high price every three years.

but since i cant find anybody else with the same problem they cant tell me that all the Q's have this issue. and thats the point for me why they should have exchanged the camera or at least change the mainboard instead sending it back and telling me that they cant find any problem. some of the pixels look like a 16bit mario game, they cant be serious with that. 

• Thanks 1

I can understand why you are questioning the appearance of the preview.   If you searched the forum I’m pretty sure you would find comments similar to your own, and explanations.

I like to process Raw files, but I record jpg at the same time.  I found it convenient to be able to do quick checks and process jpg files on my iPad when I’m travelling.   However with the right apps, , the iPad can do either file type now.

Edited by lucerne
  • Thanks 1

So, because the Repair Center told me its the auto white balance i was trying all white balance settings and always ended up with the same results.

i googled and found that the pixelation are compression artifacts.

all i had to do was, set it on JPG+DNG and the preview looks alright now but not 100% good. 

Thanks to all

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1