MM1 Value Increasing

fotografr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

34 minutes ago, Likaleica said:

Or just sell it on eBay and let the market decide, especially at Christmas time.  

A month or two ago I would have agreed with anyone's recommendation to sell on eBay. However, I now recommend selling via L-Camera-Forum, Fred Miranda, or Leica Facebook group if you don't want to trade in the camera to a reputable dealer like Leica Miami.

I've sold about $100k of Leica gear on eBay but won't moving forward because not only have the sellers fees increased, buyers now have to pay tax, which means the price buyers are willing to pay will decrease.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dkmoore said:

A month or two ago I would have agreed with anyone's recommendation to sell on eBay. However, I now recommend selling via L-Camera-Forum, Fred Miranda, or Leica Facebook group if you don't want to trade in the camera to a reputable dealer like Leica Miami.

I've sold about $100k of Leica gear on eBay but won't moving forward because not only have the sellers fees increased, buyers now have to pay tax, which means the price buyers are willing to pay will decrease.

Good points.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dkmoore said:

The craziest part about the tax is that buying from vendors overseas, the local US taxes are levied on transactions originating from other countries. This is on top of the currency exchange fees and potential customs fees. No longer worth the effort.No advantage to be had.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, james.liam said:

The craziest part about the tax is that buying from vendors overseas, the local US taxes are levied on transactions originating from other countries. This is on top of the currency exchange fees and potential customs fees. No longer worth the effort.No advantage to be had.

It’s a shame really. eBay lost it’s competitive advantage when this all happened. We will see how they fair.  

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/8/2019 at 10:08 AM, a.noctilux said:

Poor man,

only 37 lenses to cherish 😉

( It's a joke of course 😇 he can own many more as he wants )

Yeah, 37 small M lenses.  Really tiny.  Add some (or better all) S and XCD ones, perhaps a series of primes and zooms for a FF DSLR, perhaps a whole lot of Fuji XFs, including the longest zooms, those with tripod collars, now we're getting somewhere.

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I learned from the Leica page they will no longer replace corroded MM CCD sensors. The only option is a trade in for something else. 

Unless one has got a refurbished one with a replaced sensor, it looks as if the MM were on death row.

Sad!

Edited by Arrow
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Arrow said:

I learned from the Leica page they will no longer replace corroded MM CCD sensors. The only option is a trade in for something else. 

Unless one has got a refurbished one with a replaced sensor, it looks as if the MM were on death row.

Sad!

But, regarding the thread topic, we might see an increase in prices for clean samples that have documented new sensors and Leica service.  Leica Miami has a silver one with one year Leica warranty and under 2k actuations for $4495.

Jeff

36 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

But, regarding the thread topic, we might see an increase in prices for clean samples that have documented new sensors and Leica service.  Leica Miami has a silver one with one year Leica warranty and under 2k actuations for $4495.

Jeff

For how long will they keep this value compared to a, let's say, film MP?

Edited by Arrow

53 minutes ago, Arrow said:

For how long will they keep this value compared to a, let's say, film MP?

No clue, but buyers will tell us over time.  The Miami listing is just an asking price, and nobody has bit for weeks.  I'd worry as much about batteries as I would about sensors over the long term.  At least folks like DAG can generally fix a film body.  I also have no idea on numbers made, etc....I suspect very few silver MM's....but there is still an aura in some circles over the last CCD based M.  Either way, I never buy or consider photo gear as an investment.  

Jeff

2 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Either way, I never buy or consider photo gear as an investment.  

Not as an investment, but as a tool that does not let you down and fail too soon. My oldest camera that I still use is a Rolleiflex Automat pre WWII. I can still get the film for it and it works just fine. I had a MM and it let me down after a few years. I would have liked to use it longer.

The goal of photography is the actual photograph. The photographic tool does play a decisive role, though. I do not want to change tools because of planned or supply driven obsolescence. Why shall a digital camera not function for decades?

Sensor technology has been around for a while now. My M Monochrom went back to Leica in 2016 for a new non-corroding sensor, and they gave the camera a full service while it was there. I might add that it didn't cost me a penny, not even for the postage. Made me very happy.

It's not the sensor that worries me, it's things like the shutter, or the availability of batteries into the future. I've never had a sensor go bad, ever, and I've had quite a few digital cameras over the years. I retired my heavily used Canon 5D mk2 to my niece, and she loves it. The thing is ten years old, the grip is off it, it's really worn, it's got spaceship mileage on the shutter, but it just keeps going. My niece loves it, she shoots a lot of pictures for her Instagram on it. Similarly, my girlfriend has a Nikon D40. It's a plastic consumer-grade camera. Again, it must be easily 12 years old, but it still works perfectly.

I wouldn't want an M Monochrom with the old, corroding sensor. But one with the new sensor should be a good bet. The sensor won't be old, and its a great camera. The important thing with digital cameras I think is just to use them and try not to worry. That's what they're built for.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Will all the original CCD sensors in the M9 Monochrom corrode? I ask because I have not noticed any problems with my old M9 Monochrom so far. If the answer is affirmative, I will probably have to consider one of the trade ins that Leica is offering presently.

TIA

On 8/18/2020 at 9:47 AM, photoarne said:

Will all the original CCD sensors in the M9 Monochrom corrode?...

First-off - and apologies for what seems like a bit hair-splitting - it isn't the sensors which corrode; it's the sensors' cover glass which corrodes. Anyhow! No-one, anywhere, can answer your question with any certainty whatsoever. All that can be said is that they might corrode. But they might not.

Originally the problem was said to affect those covers closer to the edges of the batch as they were laid out in their batches for 'treatment' and that those glasses nearer the centre were far less likely to fail but I don't know if there's any way of knowing whether any one particular cover-glass fitted to any particular camera was fitted with an 'edge' or a 'centre' unit so I'm not sure how this situation can ever be verified absolutely. Not that it matters much now.

All you can assume is that any camera with the original 'sensor' - even if it shows no adverse signs at present - has the potential to fail at some point in the future. But, still, it might not. No-one knows for sure and no-one CAN know until the very last series one sensor fails. If it ever does.

If your MM hasn't shown any signs of corrosion so far then just enjoy using it. Don't waste time in worrying about something which might never, ever, happen.

Philip.

Edited by pippy

• 2 weeks later...

I just managed to pick up a used MM1 on eBay today 

If ever I missed a camera, the MM1 was indeed that camera, paired with an E58 Noctilux it was my dream machine.

No Noctilux but I do have a nice selection of Voigtlander M mount lenses to drop on it straight away.

The Wife has laid claim to my CL and Sigma 16/30/56, another camera I respect highly, certainly high enough to give it to my Wife and not sell it never to be seen again.

I'm happy today, The MM1 has the updated ID-53 sensor and has under 5000 actuations, with the prices rising monthly, I consider £2100 an absolute BARGAIN.

Voigtlander collection consists of 10/21/35/75 that'll do for starters.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2020 at 11:20 AM, Marac said:

I just managed to pick up a used MM1 on eBay today 

If ever I missed a camera, the MM1 was indeed that camera, paired with an E58 Noctilux it was my dream machine.

No Noctilux but I do have a nice selection of Voigtlander M mount lenses to drop on it straight away.

The Wife has laid claim to my CL and Sigma 16/30/56, another camera I respect highly, certainly high enough to give it to my Wife and not sell it never to be seen again.

I'm happy today, The MM1 has the updated ID-53 sensor and has under 5000 actuations, with the prices rising monthly, I consider £2100 an absolute BARGAIN.

Voigtlander collection consists of 10/21/35/75 that'll do for starters.

Yes, £2,100 is a bargain, particularly with just 5,000 actuations.  Lovely camera, enjoy and post some photos!

• 2 months later...