MM1 Value Increasing

fotografr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 minutes ago, fotografr said:

The only point I was making with my post was that my experience recently has indicated that MM1 prices are going up, not down. I never said anything about "skyrocketing."

And I agreed that they may have gone up a bit, after going down (about $100 using the KEH example), but I’d seen no evidence of actual sales of “well over $4k for average cameras.”  Where?  That would imply that a mint version like mine would merit over $4500, and I’d consider that skyrocketing in a year.

In any event, I make lots of calls when I need something; site listings are often unreliable and out of date.  There are many smaller dealers across the country that may surprise.  I got my M10 from one while others here were still complaining about waiting months on long lists at big popular dealers.

Anyway, I’m done here. More work than finding one on my own.  Just trying to help, and after giving you 3 possible cameras (rated 8+ to 9-), at much lower prices, you seem more interested in debating than checking all of them out first. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

49 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

And I agreed that they may have gone up a bit, after going down (about $100 using the KEH example), but I’d seen no evidence of actual sales of “well over $4k for average cameras.”  Where?  That would imply that a mint version like mine would merit over $4500, and I’d consider that skyrocketing in a year.

In any event, I make lots of calls when I need something; site listings are often unreliable and out of date.  There are many smaller dealers across the country that may surprise.  I got my M10 from one while others here were still complaining about waiting months on long lists at big popular dealers.

Anyway, I’m done here. More work than finding one on my own.  Just trying to help, and after giving you 3 possible cameras (rated 8+ to 9-), at much lower prices, you seem more interested in debating than checking all of them out first. 

Jeff

Jeff, this has gotten ridiculous. I know how to Google. Right after you told me about finding three cameras "in seconds," I checked and what I found were two cameras that had old sensors and one listing that was very old. That's a problem with googling. A camera that popped up on the first page was a silver chrome at Leica Store Miami. When I contacted Josh, he told me that camera sold in 2018.

I appreciate your suggestions and there is no reason for this contentious debating.

47 minutes ago, fotografr said:

Jeff, this has gotten ridiculous. I know how to Google. Right after you told me about finding three cameras "in seconds," I checked and what I found were two cameras that had old sensors and one listing that was very old. That's a problem with googling. A camera that popped up on the first page was a silver chrome at Leica Store Miami. When I contacted Josh, he told me that camera sold in 2018.

I appreciate your suggestions and there is no reason for this contentious debating.

You had no idea whether the 2 cameras at B&H had old sensors.  I only Googled to help you.  As I’ve said multiple times, calls are the way I proceed, not site searches.

Ridiculous is right.  A simple thanks and 2 calls would have been my reaction.

Jeff

Worth checking this out:

https://www.slack.co.uk/m9-for-ccd-lovers.html

After reading the article, I contacted Michael and he will build an a la carte MM1 with your choice of leather (yes, even pink if that's what you want) complete with new sensor and shutter actuations around 2000 for €3,500.  He will ship to the UK so I guess to other markets as well.

Must order one before Brexit as currently no duty payable between EU countries.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, fotografr said:

Read Post #17 in this thread.

Only took to post 17, nine hours later, with complaints and suppositions about the other two cameras that you also hadn’t yet called about.

If I had been looking for a camera for 3 weeks, only to be discouraged to find that average condition ones were selling well over $4k, and someone posted here only minutes after I shared my story that there was one online from a reputable dealer in excellent condition (and they rate conservatively), with new sensor, and for only $3653, I would have been on the phone immediately without senseless debate.  Same with the other two possibilities.  But that’s just me.

Have you called yet?  It’s still there.  I know, because I just checked... took 30 seconds.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Only took to post 17, nine hours later, with complaints and suppositions about the other two cameras that you also hadn’t yet called about.

If I had been looking for a camera for 3 weeks, only to be discouraged to find that average condition ones were selling well over $4k, and someone posted here only minutes after I shared my story that there was one online from a reputable dealer in excellent condition (and they rate conservatively), with new sensor, and for only $3653, I would have been on the phone immediately without senseless debate.  Same with the other two possibilities.  But that’s just me.

Have you called yet?  It’s still there.  I know, because I just checked... took 30 seconds.

Jeff

At what point in this entire thread did I ask for assistance? I was merely stating what my experience was in looking for a used MM1 for a friend. At no time did I ask for advice on how to Google or make phone calls. I also never said anything about being discouraged. Prices are what they are. I don't really care because I have one already. My only point ever was to mention that I'd been finding prices for average condition MM1 cameras with new sensors trending over $4000. If you found one cheaper, good for you.

I also never "complained" about not finding cheaper cameras. I happen to think it's great that people are realizing the value of the CCD sensor and the MM1.

Edited by fotografr

1 minute ago, fotografr said:

If you found one cheaper, good for you.

Actually I found 3 cheaper, in better condition, in about a minute, with dealer sources to check out. Meanwhile you still haven’t responded to where you found actual dealer sales for those well over $4k.    I guess it’s not a close friend... or do you treat everyone like this?

Jeff

Just now, Jeff S said:

Actually I found 3 cheaper, in better condition, in about a minute, with dealer sources to check out. Meanwhile you still haven’t responded to where you found actual dealer sales for those well over $4k.    I guess it’s not a close friend... or do you treat everyone like this?

Jeff

Why don't you take your MM1 and sit on it?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, T25UFO said:

Worth checking this out:

https://www.slack.co.uk/m9-for-ccd-lovers.html

After reading the article, I contacted Michael and he will build an a la carte MM1 with your choice of leather (yes, even pink if that's what you want) complete with new sensor and shutter actuations around 2000 for €3,500.  He will ship to the UK so I guess to other markets as well.

Must order one before Brexit as currently no duty payable between EU countries.

I hope Leica will keep the a la carte program alive and keep offering refurbished digital M classics like the M9-P and MM1.  This could be a much more affordable gateway to the digital M world for those who find the MM2 and M10-P out of reach.  These refurbished M bodies could also serve as affordable backups to an M owner's primary M camera.

This could even go so far as to (dare I even think it??) assuage some of the Leica haters out there who screech about M camera and lens prices...

Edited by Herr Barnack

4 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

I hope Leica will keep the a la carte program alive and keep offering refurbished digital M classics like the M9-P and MM1.  This could be a much more affordable gateway to the digital M world for those who find the MM2 and M10-P out of reach.

This could even go so far as to (dare I even think it??) assuage some of the Leica haters out there who screech about M camera and lens prices...

I agree. I have forwarded this to the person who wants the MM1. I know he checked with Leica about a month ago and I believe he's waiting to find out if they can get him a camera. He's very interested in the silver chrome version.

18 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Strange, I’ve dealt with Josh for years, and he sold me one 2-3 years ago.  I subsequently checked their site from time to time to monitor similar sales, which I saw occasionally. I even spoke with him late last year about the pricing trends and he freely shared that prices dipped after I bought mine, but then recovered.  Could be folks have been holding on to them more lately, so he isn’t seeing many.

Jeff

Leica Miami hasn’t had a MM1 in quite some time. And in my estimation, people are holding on to these cameras at this point, which is why there are limited for sale. 

1 hour ago, dkmoore said:

Check out classic connection as well as they have had a few MM1s lately. I’ve unfortunately re-bought the MM1 a few times and paid $2900 for one about 2 years ago and the most recent copy for $3500. Ugh. 

Same experience for me. I'm on my third one which I paid $3700 for. I sold one in superb condition about a year ago for $3300. Live and learn. The good news is that the one I bought recently is a silver one with under 5000 clicks. Thanks for the heads up on Classic Connection.

• Like 1

Hi there. I keep thinking about selling my Monochrom but apart from the heartbreak that would cause some dealers are either profiteering or taking the mick. Got offered £1200 as a trade and have seen same quality of camera selling for £3000. Same situation for my M7. I’ve decided, be grateful for what I have and don’t sell either!! Get a Monochrom and KEEP it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

M Monochrom mk1 is the first digital camera I've had, where I haven't felt it's become old or outdated. Seven years I've had it now. I use it all the time, and still I'm excited to see the pictures from it. I wouldn't swap it for anything else. It's capable of making stunning photographs. Its limitations are its strengths. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robinyuill said:

Hi there. I keep thinking about selling my Monochrom but apart from the heartbreak that would cause some dealers are either profiteering or taking the mick. Got offered £1200 as a trade and have seen same quality of camera selling for £3000. Same situation for my M7. I’ve decided, be grateful for what I have and don’t sell either!! Get a Monochrom and KEEP it.

£1200 is low for a trade-in, unless it's not had the new sensor.  But in that case the trade in would probably be even lower, because the camera would need to go to Wetzlar for a new sensor in order to be saleable by a main dealer. 

Given the circa £3000 price being asked for good used MM1s, a dealer such as Red Dot would offer 85% of that as a commission sale, 75% for a trade in, and 66% to buy the camera off you.  Subject to condition of course, and the sensor status.  Even the lowest yield option would give you circa £2000 on a good 'new sensor' camera.

But actually, I am with Colin on this. Keep it. I'm keeping mine, which has the new sensor.  I moved to an M246 from my first MM1 but that camera just didn't do for me what the MM1 did, so I'm back with another one now.

• Like 2