MM1 Value Increasing

fotografr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For about three weeks I've been checking various Leica dealers, photo forums and eBay trying to find a very good condition MM1 with the new type 53 sensor.  What I've been finding are prices well over $4000 for bodies in average condition. I wonder if word has spread about the exceptional quality of the CCD versus the CMOS?

Quick search pulled up 3 in very good to excellent minus condition for $3653 to $3799 (lower priced one with new sensor; others not clear).  Higher than a couple of years ago, but not dramatically so.  Plus, these are asking prices, not completed sale prices.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, Jeff S said:

I would know more if Leica Miami had one, as they routinely have them, only sell with new sensor, and Josh can inform regarding market pricing trends.  Call him if you’re really interested. 

Jeff

I checked with Josh at Leica Store Miami three days ago and he told me he sees MM1 bodies so infrequently that he doesn't even keep a list of people to contact when one comes in. I've dealt with him for the last 10 years so I know he's being straight with me.

• Like 1

Strange, I’ve dealt with Josh for years, and he sold me one 2-3 years ago.  I subsequently checked their site from time to time to monitor similar sales, which I saw occasionally. I even spoke with him late last year about the pricing trends and he freely shared that prices dipped after I bought mine, but then recovered.  Could be folks have been holding on to them more lately, so he isn’t seeing many.

Jeff

2 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Strange, I’ve dealt with Josh for years, and he sold me one 2-3 years ago.  I subsequently checked their site from time to time to monitor similar sales, which I saw occasionally. I even spoke with him late last year about the pricing trends and he freely shared that prices dipped after I bought mine, but then recovered.  Could be folks have been holding on to them more lately, so he isn’t seeing many.

Jeff

That was my kind of my original point, that prices have started to trend upward. Two years ago it was an entirely different game. I sold one to Josh a year ago for $3300. I recently bought one from a private seller for $3700 and now am not able to find anything decent in that price range.

6 minutes ago, fotografr said:

That was my kind of my original point, that prices have started to trend upward. Two years ago it was an entirely different game. I sold one to Josh a year ago for $3300. I recently bought one from a private seller for $3700 and now am not able to find anything decent in that price range.

My point, too.  I bought one (albeit mint)  for $3600 a year before yours.  Prices dipped for a year and returned to the $3600 range a year later.  But I’ve not seen evidence of actual sales “well over $4k for average cameras”, although I haven’t looked hard or called my trusted sources (many besides Josh).  Nice for me, if prices have gone up significantly and I were to sell, but no such desire now.

Jeff

31 minutes ago, fotografr said:

I just looked at the two listed at B&H. There is no mention of new sensor with either description which leads me to believe they haven't been replaced.

I don’t see any description, just a rating and boilerplate specs.   Again, a quick call is better than speculation.

Jeff

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, fotografr said:

I've checked both and haven't found what you're seeing. KEH had one with the original sensor the last time I checked and B&H had nothing. I'll take another look now.

This came up for me...$3653 with new sensor...

https://www.keh.com/shop/leica-m-monochrom-black-digital-camera-body-10760-18-m-p-sensor-updated-1.html

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

The MM1 has been puttering about $3500 +/- $200 for the past ~3 years. In the recent year though,  I can't remember the last time Tamarkin, Igor Camera or PopFlash listed one for sale. M246 are much more available. I recall the Leica Store SoHo had a few M9M's last Fall but all with the original sensor that hadn't rotted (yet). These, IIRC, were ~$3200.

What's really shot up are the prices of the M6 Classic. Bought a 0.85 finder about 6-7 years ago for something like $1300.The more common .72 versions, back then were $900-1000 now sell for $2000 and up, depending upon condition.

Edited by james.liam

38 minutes ago, fotografr said:

Thanks. I'll call them. They list no detailed information in the ad and only have one photo of it.

You should call B&H, too.  There might be others by today.... it took me seconds to find the 3 cameras in post #2, merely by Googling “Used Leica Monochrom”, and 3 pictures showed up.  I’m sure if I spent more time, and searched/called other reliable dealers that I could have found more.  Easier process than debating you over skyrocketing prices. :)

Jeff

9 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

You should call B&H, too.  There might be others by today.... it took me seconds to find the 3 cameras in post #2, merely by Googling “Used Leica Monochrom”, and 3 pictures showed up.  I’m sure if I spent more time, and searched/called other reliable dealers that I could have found more.  Easier process than debating you over skyrocketing prices. :)

Jeff

That's exactly what I've been doing but when I check into details about the cameras that come up in my searches, they are either beat up or don't have new sensors.

The only point I was making with my post was that my experience recently has indicated that MM1 prices are going up, not down. I never said anything about "skyrocketing."

Edited by fotografr