Your favourite case and strap? (Arte di Mano, Luigi/Leicatime, Kenji, etc.)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wondering what your favourite case and strap manufacturers are. Please feel free to share photos. 

I'm looking at options for my M-A and have seen some nice pieces by Arte di Mano, Luigi/Leicatime, and Kenji, but wondering what else might be out there. I love the idea of the famous half case mostly because it completes "the look" and I fully intend to get one, but I'm also wondering about other case options that offer more comprehensive full-camera protection and might be waterproof. So I guess I'm looking at getting a couple cases, depending on the adventures the day will take me on. It's such an expensive system that I want to make sure I can fully protect it depending on the context.For straps, I know the Artisan & Artist is popular, but I have read conflicting reviews. Also, Yosemite Straps from Japan seem nice.

Regarding the half cases, I know Luigi is the originator, but based off what I've seen some of them (and this goes for several other half case makers) can be rather crude looking, while most every Arte di Mano I've seen has looked to be of truly exceptional quality. I'm torn and uncertain which route to take. I'm also concerned that the half case might leave marks on the camera as it's so tight in there (it will be used on a black chrome M-A). 

Would love to hear your opinions and see what you've got! 

6 hours ago, Matlock said:

Ask ten people and you will get ten different answers. Try to have a look at all the options and then make up your mind. I use Luigi mostly and he gives wonderful service but others have their own opinions. Good luck. 

Well it's a good thing I've asked a forum of thousands (and not just ten) then, since differing answers are precisely why I made this thread in the first place- to see what all is out there so that I can make a decision of my own.  

Protection: Pelican Case; the hard-sided ones. In some environments, such protection is desirable.

Solt-sided cases/bags/holsters with excellent rain covers: Think Tank and Mind Shift. Well-made, professional appearance, excellent nylon, and, again, I will mention the rain covers.

A stylish, leather-trimmed canvas favorite: A Chapman bag, designed in collaboration with Adam Marelli. My mistake was ordering the black version, as we have three white dogs. Leica Store Miami sells the black version. Adam Marelli directly sells both color choices, in the USA. Chapman, in the UK, sells to European buyers.

A stylish, expensive leather favorite: Oberwerth. My Heidelberg is a bit too large, even for two Leicas, and my wife’s Bayreuth would usually be a bit too small, for me. My wife’s Kate would be wonderful, but its style is not unisex. The Freiburg may be a happy medium, but I have yet to see one. There are other models, in a classic range, and a more modern range. In the USA, Leica Store Miami is a dealer for Oberwerth, and, Tamarkin Camera may still be a dealer.

Be wary of Ona. The cover flap of some One bags does not provide complete coverage, at each end, allowing dust and rain to easily enter the bag. The special-edition Ona Berlin is an example of a beautiful Ona bag, marketed at Leica shooters, with the stylish red dot, but with incomplete coverage at the top. I loved the size of the Ona Berlin, but not its top flap coverage, so I did not buy one. 

I've used "half-cases" on cameras since the 1960s by simply discarding the "front cover flap" that came with most "ever-ready" cases from the manufacturers. They do protect from scuffs and such in normal handling of the camera.

I've always used the stock straps supplied with the cameras, whether leather or fabric. My favorite were the simple Leica leather straps from the 1960s: fairly thin leather, not too wide, but with the inner edges of the strap nicely beveled along the length so there were no sharp edges against your neck. I've never seen another strap with these nice bevels.

In recent years I've found the "Mr. Zhou" half cases off eBay to offer good protection at a reasonable price. I have them on several camera models.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, RexGig0 said:

Protection: Pelican Case; the hard-sided ones. In some environments, such protection is desirable.

Solt-sided cases/bags/holsters with excellent rain covers: Think Tank and Mind Shift. Well-made, professional appearance, excellent nylon, and, again, I will mention the rain covers.

A stylish, leather-trimmed canvas favorite: A Chapman bag, designed in collaboration with Adam Marelli. My mistake was ordering the black version, as we have three white dogs. Leica Store Miami sells the black version. Adam Marelli directly sells both color choices, in the USA. Chapman, in the UK, sells to European buyers.

A stylish, expensive leather favorite: Oberwerth. My Heidelberg is a bit too large, even for two Leicas, and my wife’s Bayreuth would usually be a bit too small, for me. My wife’s Kate would be wonderful, but its style is not unisex. The Freiburg may be a happy medium, but I have yet to see one. There are other models, in a classic range, and a more modern range. In the USA, Leica Store Miami is a dealer for Oberwerth, and, Tamarkin Camera may still be a dealer.

Be wary of Ona. The cover flap of some One bags does not provide complete coverage, at each end, allowing dust and rain to easily enter the bag. The special-edition Ona Berlin is an example of a beautiful Ona bag, marketed at Leica shooters, with the stylish red dot, but with incomplete coverage at the top. I loved the size of the Ona Berlin, but not its top flap coverage, so I did not buy one. 

To add to the Ona issues, I found the flop of the metal latch unnerving as it seemed ripe for smashing into gear. Probably over-concern on my part but I've avoided them since. A simple leather strap on a knob like Billingham or Wotancraft suits me better.

15 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

I've used "half-cases" on cameras since the 1960s by simply discarding the "front cover flap" that came with most "ever-ready" cases from the manufacturers.

I've been using the Billingham Leica bag (see pic) for a few years now & love it - nice size for me - can fit two camera bodies with lenses, wallet, smartphone or one body plus a number of lenses. It also doubles as a general shoulder bag about town - even use it on my motorcycle. It did me well on two overseas trips (USA in 2017 & Europe in 2016) & really got a working over. Regarding half cases, I agree with TomB - original cases can be easily converted into half cases - see IIIg on top of Billingham bag- it's sporting a "mutilated" iiif case. Similarly, you could use an original M3 case with front cover flap removed for your M-A. I also have Luigi (see M3 pic), Artist & Artisan (on MP at base of Billingham bag) plus Patagonean (to left of MP) half cases. I actually prefer the Artist to the Luigi - the former is a snug fit but not tight (does not rub camera) plus the leather is thinner whereas the Luigi is chunkier ie the Artist has a better feel in my hand when using the camera. They are both very well made. One downside to the Luigi is some of the older lenses (eg Summaron 35mm f3.5) the focus tab/knob becomes impeded by the half case so making it difficult to focus effectively/smoothly. I have also had two cases (half) & straps made by Enzo "Patagonean" (based in South America) - I love his hand made work (the IIIf to the left of the MP is sporting a Patagonean half case) - he custom makes half cases (even full ones too) for many cameras - check his facebook site https://www.facebook.com/patagonean/

best of luck

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

On 9/6/2019 at 4:29 AM, White Buffalo said:

Wondering what your favourite case and strap manufacturers are. Please feel free to share photos. 

My 3 M's are the same... no case, Artisan & Artist Black Silk Strap (photos here https://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/artisan-artist-straps/4519-artisan-artist-black-silk-ex-long-camera-strap.html). I've never had any issues with them, unlike the "tie her up" not-so-cheap copies.

I hardly ever use the strap as a neck strap, just wrapped a number of times around my wrist and hand.

Edited by ianman

I currently use a Billingham Hadley One- it's an okay bag. I think the company relies more on its legacy than anything these days.  

Has anyone compared the Billingham stuff to FOGG? I'm rather intrigued by their bags and might pick one up on my upcoming Eurotrip. 

I think I will also get a Pelican 1510 once I return back home so it can safely house my Leica and some other camera stuff. 

Not sure if I'll go the half case route after all... I know it's the classic companion to an M, but it seems more about aesthetic than protection. A nice strap is essential though. 

Going around the world with a Billingham Hadley Small.  It will pack a Leica MP240 and FujiX100F as well as 25f2.8 Zeiss, 50f1.2 Nokton, and 90f2.8 Tele Elmarit as well as two batteries for each camera, SD cards, charger, and RayBans.  Originally, I was taking a Domke F2 but decided to go smaller and appreciate the water proof nature of the Billingham.

• Like 3

Luigi for me - his website is atrocious to the point of maybe being intentional, but his responsiveness and service via e-mail was splendid.  I vacillated between a low profile simple brown or black half case and a more flashy rainbow case.  I wanted something special for the money I was spending, but the rainbow case was just a little too loud for my style.  I ended up requesting the aged brown case with a single Marlboro red stripe and Luigi didn't bat an eye.  I'm very happy with the results and thrilled to have a bespoke, one-of-a-kind case for my MP.  Regarding the quality, I have no concerns.  It is hand-crafted with care and the material quality is excellent.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

All above just meh. IMO And sorry. The beauty of film M - it doesn't need it. It is not Bessa which will worn out in no time without half case.

I only use original Leica made if I have two cameras on me. Then two M bumps to each other bare metal, it is not pleasant feeling.  

Have you ever seen Stradivari played in the case? Film M is the fiddle. It is made to feel it and play it.  

• Like 2

On 9/9/2019 at 8:26 PM, rramesh said:

A Leica strap and a Billingham bag. Can't go wrong and will work with all Leica cameras.

On 9/10/2019 at 8:46 AM, 250swb said:

Same here, it would be hard for somebody to say 'wrong bag' or 'wrong strap' if you  just had a Billingham Hadley Pro and the standard strap.

Same here, sort of. I prefer a small Billingham case for my film M, mostly with a wrist strap which I use more as a security strap than to carry it with. I used to be a fan of Luigi’s work, but in the end found out it is merely the leather itself which is nice to see. I own the aged military green, which is in fact olive green, beautiful. But I hardly use it; functionally, the case is indeed a bit crude and it makes it all too big what you carry. But thinner and finer made half cases aren’t much better in my view. I hate film changing with these cases, a lot ado. Besides, a little wear on a black film M is nice in my view. 

Edited by otto.f