Which M lens as a start?

m9photo

I just bought a really nice used SL and 24-90 lens from the Leica SoHo NYC store. I purchased the M adapter with it. 

I started shooting my Noctilux 50mm f0.95 lens with the SL and adapter. OMG, it is so much easier to focus. The focus peaking works great. The SL is more responsive than the kludgy Visoflex and Live View on my M10 to do the same thing.

Since the sensor on the SL and M10 are similar, I can't tell which camera shot which image without looking at the metadata. Very cool.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think it might be time to come back to earth for a moment and recommend a few lenses at more modest prices:

* Voigtländer 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Aspherical Lens - Leica M Mount

* Leica 35mm Summicron-M ASPH

... both are very sharp edge to edge and are good general purpose lenses.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 7:24 AM, biogon said:

I personally prefer version IV (or III), but any 50 Summicron would be a perfect M lens to start, IMHO.

I find the Summicron R 50 even better fitting, but it does not fit as an answer (the user asked for a M lens). 🤕   I use a R to M adapter to make it fit.

Edited by caissa
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 1:17 AM, caissa said:

I find the Summicron R 50 even better fitting, but it does not fit as an answer (the user asked for a M lens). 🤕   I use a R to M adapter to make it fit.

Agreed … and the R lenses being more telecentric than their M equivalents will image better. Worth acquiring Leica Pocket Book 8th Edition to see which R lenses have same / similar designs to equivalent M lenses … because the R lenses are less (often very much less) expensive to buy. For example, 50/2 S'cron R I is same as 50/2 S'cron M III; 50/2 S'cron R  II is same as 50/2 S'cron M  IV.  But requires an R to SL adapter. A Novoflex non-smart R to SL adapter can usually be sourced s/h for c. £70 or less; Chinese versions much cheaper. And it's possible to source a 50/2 S'cron R I for £250 or less … which less than half the cost of 50/2 S'cron M III

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

I think there is a warning that needs to go with considering R lenses, especially with an adapter, and that is how much of the framelines are blocked out. M lenses are the size they are for a reason.

Edited by pedaes

5 hours ago, pedaes said:

I think there is a warning that needs to go with considering R lenses, especially with an adapter, and that is how much of the framelines are blocked out. M lenses are the size they are for a reason.

What ?  I use R lenses since the SL came out, without problems. So what are you referring to ?

11 minutes ago, caissa said:

What ?  I use R lenses since the SL came out, without problems. So what are you referring to ?

The percentage of the M framelines that are 'blocked' in the bottom right corner by the lens. On the SL I know this is not an issue, and it was just a comment for any new M users who might also  be thinking of R lenses. 

I agree with a lot of others, in that the Summicron 50mm is a great lens and a perfect combination with the SL body. However, you should choose a focal length which would be best suited to the subjects you want to capture; for instance if your interest is in landscapes you would probably be better going wider, or if portraits are your subject you may want to go for a 75, or 90mm lens.

My decisions were mostly influenced by the online review. The recommendation you get are likely to follow that too.

I started with two lenses, the 35mm summicron V1, the 8 elements with goggle, and the 50mm VI, the pre-APO with built in hood. While both are top notches to have, I was constantly bothered with switching lenses followed by sensor cleaning. I think I could be equally happy with any one of the to if I didnt get the other one. It is tempting. Anyway, I ended with the 28-35-50mm MATE. It is F4, not as preferred  as the summicron, but with the modern high ISO digital, it is not a problem at all, except I sometimes might dream of the F2 selective focus effect. 

When my M9 had the sensor corrosion problem and Leica offered my a good deal, I traded it up to SL. That is the beginning of another run of Never-happy-with-current-lens till now.

Now my finally happy ending system is Leica Q and CL 18-56mm. I concluded the mst useful and important lens Is 28mm summicron or Summilux, but an all-in-1 zoom on a seperate camera is helpful.

On 10/3/2019 at 10:52 AM, Einst_Stein said:

Now my finally happy ending system is Leica Q and CL 18-56mm. I concluded the mst useful and important lens Is 28mm summicron or Summilux, but an all-in-1 zoom on a seperate camera is helpful.

I used to have Q, but sold it. I kind of miss it but it's very limited. When time is right, I might get the Q2 due to their high MP res, with the crop option (28/35/50 even 75) I think that's the best way to enjoy street photography. 

An absolutely lovely 'twin'-pair on the SL is the 75mm f1.4 Summilux-M and the 80mm f1.4 Summilux-R. Both are fairly expensive, but the rendering is special.

Other much-enjoyed M-lenses (for me) are the 21mm f3.4 Super Elmar-M (a very fine WA), 28mm f2.8 Elmarit-M (latest version, optically excellent), 50mm f2 APO Summicron-M (latest version, as good as it gets in such a small package), 90mm f4 Macro Elmar-M (a fine, all-runder with some macro capabilities), and 90mm f2.8 Elmarit-M (latest version, pleasant rendering). 

On the very wide end, Voigtlander 16mm f4.5 Super Heliar version III is excellent. 

On the less expensive side, I enjoy the 40mm f2 Summicron-C. Pentax f1.4 Takumar is also a lens that I enjoy using. So many options....