Leica SL Picking up Canon Eos R

freitz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, spersky said:

If the SL2 had been out when I bought the EOS R and these lenses,  I would have seriously considered it as well.   Recently,  I was even tempted to switch to the SL2,  but I cannot risk not having those RF 1.2 primes, and I really love the dual pixel autofocus and the eye tracking of the Canon R, so there is no going back.

When you get into the semi-pro/pro price bracket with any of the better systems and start adding equally exotic and expensive optics the cost of completely changing system becomes prohibitive ........ unless you are professional and can write down some of the cost against tax or it's all just new toys to add to your riviera villa, luxury yacht and ferrari....... :rolleyes:

I frequently look at alternatives but long ago decided the cost would be ruinous and the benefits marginal. 

At least with Leica you have lenses that are amongst the very best that money can buy ..... and that the SL2 and L mount now offers you an increasingly wide range of lens options and compatibility. 

G.A.S. is bad enough, without adding 'the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence' as well ......

2 hours ago, spersky said:

I have the EOS R and the new R mount 85mm 1.2 and the 50mm 1.2.  Honestly,  I have never seen such beautiful rendering and micro contrast in any photographic lens in my entire life.

The lenses are big though, but it is not negotiable.  These lenses are so good that they should be bought first and sort out the camera that can use them later. 

I also imagine the Leica SL primes are just as good but I cannot comment since I do not own them.   For me a camera system is all about the lenses.

Some people complain about no IBIS in the Canon EOS R at the moment and that the tech is somewhat older with a 30 MP sensor.  I admit that is frustrating, but I will need to upgrade to the next EOS R iteration likely when it comes out in feb 2020.

If the SL2 had been out when I bought the EOS R and these lenses,  I would have seriously considered it as well.   Recently,  I was even tempted to switch to the SL2,  but I cannot risk not having those RF 1.2 primes, and I really love the dual pixel autofocus and the eye tracking of the Canon R, so there is no going back.

Yeah I've seen images from those RF lenses and they sure look amazing. Hope they ditch the slide bar and implement a joystick with the next iteration camera.

• 1 month later...
Am 17.11.2019 um 15:28 schrieb spersky:

I have the EOS R and the new R mount 85mm 1.2 and the 50mm 1.2. 

Some people complain about no IBIS in the Canon EOS R at the moment and that the tech is somewhat older with a 30 MP sensor.  I admit that is frustrating, but I will need to upgrade to the next EOS R iteration likely when it comes out in feb 2020.

Isn't there a stabilisation in the lenses? That would be better, if you have Canon lenses only. Shaking a sensor costs more energy and that heats the sensor. The sensors get more DR constantly, so underexposing is a way too. 

And you must not participate in the pixel race. High pixel numbers can be used in another way, see the dual pixel in the RF and in  the Lytro Illum.

Edited by jankap

11 hours ago, jankap said:

Isn't there a stabilisation in the lenses? That would be better, if you have Canon lenses only. Shaking a sensor costs more energy and that heats the sensor. The sensors get more DR constantly, so underexposing is a way too. 

And you must not participate in the pixel race. High pixel numbers can be used in another way, see the dual pixel in the RF and in  the Lytro Illum.

No IS on those 2 lenses mentioned.They do have the IS on 2/8 zooms (15-35, 24-70. 70-200) and F4 24-105.  Other lens from RF with amazing IQ is 28-70/F2, I just got myself the EOS R and ditching the SL in preparation with SL2 (still in waiting list). I almost got the zoom but it was way too big and bulky. I don't see myself carrying this lens for extended period of time. If and if the new rumored EOS R pro comes out with IBIS, their RF L lenses will be absolutely strong performers. 

Edited by m9photo
  • Like 1

The Sigma f2.0 24-35 Art was/is my favorite F2.0 zoom. (Some say it is no zoom, but three primes in one.)  I wonder if the Canon f2 28-70 is as good. Have you seen a comparison, anywhere ? (Yes the focal range is not identical, but still.)

Edited by caissa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

43 minutes ago, caissa said:

The Sigma f2.0 24-35 Art was/is my favorite F2.0 zoom. (Some say it is no zoom, but three primes in one.)  I wonder if the Canon f2 28-70 is as good. Have you seen a comparison, anywhere ? (Yes the focal range is not identical, but still.)

I bet it's not even close.

On 12/25/2019 at 2:54 PM, caissa said:

I have had the Canon EF 24-70 2.8L and it is probably the best mid range zoom I've ever owned (I'l saving up for the Leica 24-90SL)

I've never seen a Canon EF 28-70 f2.  Is it the newest RF lens?  My experience with RF lenses is that they are superb!  

A general experience is not what I am looking for, sorry. I am sure Rockwell will find it fabulous. Real measurements are more my style. I found this (A) and it is by far not equal to the Sigma zoom (B).  (The RF zoom is quite weak in the corners. Leica SL lenses are different, the Sigma is close by, better than the typical prime.)

A.   https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/canon-rf-28-70mm-f2l-usm-review

B.   https://photographylife.com/reviews/sigma-24-35mm-f2-dg-hsm-art/2

Of course a single comparison from the same source would be even better.

Edited by caissa

14 hours ago, SonomaBear said:

I have had the Canon EF 24-70 2.8L and it is probably the best mid range zoom I've ever owned (I'l saving up for the Leica 24-90SL)

I've never seen a Canon EF 28-70 f2.  Is it the newest RF lens?  My experience with RF lenses is that they are superb!  

Yes, that's the RF line lens. So far all reviews are raved about it.

I have just came to realise that I bought my three latest cameras to be used with adapted lenses. 

The EOS R with EOS EF lenses. 
The GFX50R with xPan lenses. 
The SL2 with R and M lenses.

The only native lens I bought for one of them is the 50mm pancake for the Fuji.

😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

vor 11 Minuten schrieb m9photo:

It's not Range Finder.. 😉  LOL it's Canon mirrorless line.

Of course. Is it fun like to walk around with a nice, small camera with a gigantic lens mounted on it? 

M-lenses have to be small, otherwise one would not see the rangefinder patch in the viewfinder.

SlowDriver

Very big difference between the two reviews, one says corners are weak, the other says corners are great. But there are no measurements in the video and in the video the corner resolution looks weak to me contrary of what he says (what do you think ?). I have the impression what I see and what I hear is completely different ?!

The difference gets at the end really thick, when he utters his “highly recommended”. Not anything I could share.

Edited by caissa

I'm sorry to rain on this equivocation parade, but get your sh*t together, people: the whole town here is in excitement about the SL2.  It's like our backwater team won the World Cup.  Many folks crossed over from the M and S towns to join in the bonfire and the dance.  Banish those canikons and join the drinking already!