Leica SL Picking up Canon Eos R

freitz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's been a long while since I've posted here. Been a Leica SL shooter since Early 2016 when I sold my M240. Miss many aspects of the Rangefinder but getting way more shots with young kids. It's a fantastic Camera.

I'm at somewhat of a cross roads. My wife wants to make the jump to full frame loves Leica color. I wouldn't want to own two SL's so I started doing research around Canon Eos R. Since I've shot canon in the past and love the Canon colors.

I have a Canon Eos R on order but now even considering the switch myself. Has anyone done a head to head against the SL with this Eos R system? Watched a ton of reviews but most of the tech reviewers completely miss the point or are in love with Sony... which I've had shot with and hated.

Hoping I don't stir up trouble with this post but seems like the only logical place to post something like this.

Thanks for the help.

I don't have EOS R but have tried it when it was released last year. Ever since, they've been releasing fantastic line of lenses (28-70/2, 28-70/2.8, 50/1.2, 85/12 and it will add up).

I myself still keeping the 5DSR due to it has the highest MP on Canon, I don't know if Canon will ever release mk 2 as the direction is now going after Sony in the mirrorless market.The only thing I wish I can have is more DR on 5DSR, but the resolution on this camera is still stunning for me at least.

Back to your EOS R question, it's smaller body and if you familiar with Canon before, it won't take long to figure out and start shooting with it. Paired with their RF L lenses, I believe you would not be dissapointed. I like Leica color but Canon has it's own color that I do love too.

If you browse Fredmiranda website, you would have more samples and reviews on this camera and their RF lenses.

Edited by m9photo
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, m9photo said:

I don't have EOS R but have tried it when it was released last year. Ever since, they've been releasing fantastic line of lenses (28-70/2, 28-70/2.8, 50/1.2, 85/12 and it will add up).

I myself still keeping the 5DSR due to it has the highest MP on Canon, I don't know if Canon will ever release mk 2 as the direction is now going after Sony in the mirrorless market.The only thing I wish I can have is more DR on 5DSR, but the resolution on this camera is still stunning for me at least.

Back to your EOS R question, it's smaller body and if you familiar with Canon before, it won't take long to figure out and start shooting with it. Paired with their RF L lenses, I believe you would not be dissapointed. I like Leica color but Canon has it's own color that I do love too.

If you browse Fredmiranda website, you would have more samples and reviews on this camera and their RF lenses.

Thanks for the reply. This started as just looking for a Camera for my wife. I've shot with the Sony A7rII and A7RIII... wasn't happy with it. Found color correction and the amount of post work to be way more then I was ever use to from Leica.

Love the Leica color, but also like Canons color.

I've seen a ton of reviews about this camera but I think I'm the reviewers are focusing on irrelevant items. The Nikon system has focusing issues, Sony has horrible colors and ergonomics... 4k video is irrelevant for me. Canon seems to have done alright and would expect them to release a more professional body for this line given their amazing lens line up.

Also with the SL2 around the corner, I'm not sure I would make the jump the difference in photos and RAW files from Q and Q2 wasn't much. IBIS was about the only thing worth upgrading for.

1 hour ago, freitz said:

It's been a long while since I've posted here. Been a Leica SL shooter since Early 2016 when I sold my M240. Miss many aspects of the Rangefinder but getting way more shots with young kids. It's a fantastic Camera.

I'm at somewhat of a cross roads. My wife wants to make the jump to full frame loves Leica color. I wouldn't want to own two SL's so I started doing research around Canon Eos R. Since I've shot canon in the past and love the Canon colors.

I have a Canon Eos R on order but now even considering the switch myself. Has anyone done a head to head against the SL with this Eos R system? Watched a ton of reviews but most of the tech reviewers completely miss the point or are in love with Sony... which I've had shot with and hated.

Hoping I don't stir up trouble with this post but seems like the only logical place to post something like this.

Thanks for the help.

The EOS-R is a very nice camera. It keeps the tradition of Canon colours and is nice to hold and use.

I didn't like the system for a number of reasons:

1. It feels like a version 1 camera. Particularly the mistake to miss off IBIS (important for that market's sales) and the useless touch slider (a joystick would have made the camera).

2. The lens line up was high quality but bizarre to say the least. Now they have announced f2.8 zooms it makes more sense, but it lacks the high quality mid light (f2/f1.8) range which would make it ideal for me

3. The 4K video is hamstrung in a way that for video bods (and I am not one), it is not in the running

My view is that if its available heavily discounted, its a great camera, but for much less (at least in the UK), the Z6 is superior in almost anyway, making the EOS-R somewhat redundant.

In terms of comparing it with the SL, I have real difficulty with this one as I can't think it of it being direct competition. It feels much less robust and is not as slick in usage. Its a bit like comparing a D5 to a D850. You know you want one or the other, and if you do, the other doesnt appeal

Edited by colonel
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, colonel said:

The EOS-R is a very nice camera. It keeps the tradition of Canon colours and is nice to hold and use.

I didn't like the system for a number of reasons:

1. It feels like a version 1 camera. Particularly the mistake to miss off IBIS (important for that market's sales) and the useless touch slider (a joystick would have made the camera).

2. The lens line up was high quality but bizarre to say the least. Now they have announced f2.8 zooms it makes more sense, but it lacks the high quality mid light (f2/f1.8) range which would make it ideal for me

3. The 4K video is hamstrung in a way that for video bods (and I am not one), it is not in the running

My view is that if its available heavily discounted, its a great camera, but for much less (at least in the UK), the Z6 is superior in almost anyway, making the EOS-R somewhat redundant.

In terms of comparing it with the SL, I have real difficulty with this one as I can't think it of it being direct competition. It feels much less robust and is not as slick in usage. Its a bit like comparing a D5 to a D850. You know you want one or the other, and if you do, the other doesnt appeal

1. I agree IBIS is a miss but watched some testing and looks like Sony IBIS is not as good as Canons Lens Stabilization in practice. Nikon seems to be the winner for this, this time around; to bad their focus is the issue.

2. Lens; probably the main reason I'm looking at this system. They look fantastic.

3. From what I can tell lots of youtubers either getting paid to switch to the EOS R or doing it on their own accord there is probably 15 videos around it. However I don't shoot 4k so really irrelevant for me

Z6 is superior on a spec sheet I would agree. However their lenses aren't better then the Sony ones that Tameron makes for them, let alone Canon L or Sony G Master lenses. Lots of tests on this. Also auto focus system isn't that great.

My drawbacks to the SL are quite frankly for a hobby owning more then 2-3 lenses isn't possible. The system itself is great, only use the zoom right now and sold all my lenses. I think the SL is better paired with those that shoot the M. 

This started as looking at the Canon EOS R for my wife, but beginning to think might make sense for both to adapt the system to be able to share lenses. Two Leica SL's wouldn't really work right now.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From what I've seen, it seems like both Canon and Nikon missed the mark. Canon seems to have a half-hearted camera and Nikon seems to have lackluster lenses.

If I were to jump into the Canon MILC camp, I'd probably start with a second-hand EOS RP and wait until a 2nd gen EOS R is released.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr.Q said:

From what I've seen, it seems like both Canon and Nikon missed the mark. Canon seems to have a half-hearted camera and Nikon seems to have lackluster lenses.

If I were to jump into the Canon MILC camp, I'd probably start with a second-hand EOS RP and wait until a 2nd gen EOS R is released.

I am not sure I agree

whilst Nikon have not initially gone for a batch of 1.4s, which you might be referring to, their 1.8s are fabulous, and as sharp as any flagship. The 24-70mm f2.8 also rated in many reviews, the best of its type

of course the lens range is key. If you want a 28-70 f2, then the canon one is amazing

i shot with the RP and the 35mm f1.8 for a few weeks. Didn’t do anything for me. The RP feels cheap and the 35mm f1.8, with its front moving during focus and tacky plastic is beyond cheap ..... funnily enough the results are quite good though :o

if you want some of the exotic canon R glass and obtain a discount for the R body, no doubt you will get excellent results. And the lenses will last for many bodies .....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, colonel said:

I am not sure I agree

whilst Nikon have not initially gone for a batch of 1.4s, which you might be referring to, their 1.8s are fabulous, and as sharp as any flagship. The 24-70mm f2.8 also rated in many reviews, the best of its type

of course the lens range is key. If you want a 28-70 f2, then the canon one is amazing

i shot with the RP and the 35mm f1.8 for a few weeks. Didn’t do anything for me. The RP feels cheap and the 35mm f1.8, with its front moving during focus and tacky plastic is beyond cheap ..... funnily enough the results are quite good though :o

if you want some of the exotic canon R glass and obtain a discount for the R body, no doubt you will get excellent results. And the lenses will last for many bodies .....

The goal here is to buy into a system. My hope and what I would think happens is Canon launches a 1Dx mirror-less camera equivalent. Though I don't see anything on the rumor sites around that.

I own both the Leica SL (w/ 24-90)(3.5 years) and the Canon EOS R (w/ 28-70, 24-105, 50 and 35)(6 months).  Both are excellent systems and obviously the fact that the Leica SL can still hold its own is a testimony to how excellent it was when it was released.  That being said, the landscape is very different now from 3-4 years ago.  At the time you had Sony and that was it.  Now you have 5 very competitive systems with IMHO for general photography very little difference between them and all of them providing excellent image quality.  I will probably pre-order the new Canon RF 15-35mm and if that works out for me I don't see myself staying with the Leica SL unless the SL2 were to have a unique value proposition with I quite frankly don't expect.  The strengths of the Leica SL are the lenses, build quality, simplicity and its industrial minimalist design.  In all other areas (including ergonomics and color) the Canon EOS R IMHO has the edge.  The difference in autofocus is huge.  The Canon is lightning fast and excellent also in low light conditions.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 3:49 PM, freitz said:

Pulled the trigger for the wife on the Eos R.. guess I can test it when it comes and see what I think.

Just curious, any feedback?

• 1 month later...

I’m a Canon R user who just bought the SL. Became a Leica believer with the Q three years ago. 
I started shooting M glass on my EOS R with great success. But M lenses are far better on the SL. 
i have 30 years worth of Canon EF lenses I’d love to use on the SL but the Sigma MC-21 appears not to work on the SL. Dammit

both systems can coexist very nicely!

8 hours ago, SonomaBear said:

I’m a Canon R user who just bought the SL. Became a Leica believer with the Q three years ago. 
I started shooting M glass on my EOS R with great success. But M lenses are far better on the SL. 
i have 30 years worth of Canon EF lenses I’d love to use on the SL but the Sigma MC-21 appears not to work on the SL. Dammit

both systems can coexist very nicely!

I find the Novoflex EF to SL adapter works with many but not all the Canon EF lenses.

the SL is great because of how many lenses can be used on it. 

• Like 1

Am 5.9.2019 um 16:12 schrieb freitz:

Thanks for the help.

Do you really want two different systems? ;) 

And  why not a new Sigma FP  with Sigma 45 mm/2.8 … :) ? Very cool and small camera with superb IQ ! You can also use every SL or M lens !  

Read for example last Review by Steve Huff . 

9 hours ago, Teddy69 said:

Do you really want two different systems? ;) 

And  why not a new Sigma FP  with Sigma 45 mm/2.8 … :) ? Very cool and small camera with superb IQ ! You can also use every SL or M lens !  

Read for example last Review by Steve Huff . 

In the last 2 years Steve Huff has owned Leica, Hasselblad, Sony, Canon, Panasonic and now Sigma... 

Not sure whether Steve Huff giving a camera the thumbs up means much.  He will probably end up selling it within 6 months...

Edited by Guest

I tried out the Canon R and the Nikon Z more or less simultaneously. I ended up keeping the Nikon. 

It worked better with my M lenses. It has IBIS, which is pretty nice. I find the menus and button layout better. I think the color is a little better (very subjective). The native Z lenses are smaller, lighter and more practical (the Canon lenses are all huge. Excellent, but too big). 

That said, the SL2 looks very tempting...

On 9/5/2019 at 4:12 PM, freitz said:

Thanks for the help.

The Canons have no IBIS. I find this is a drawback. (I still use a 5DsR if I want 50MP, but would not want to switch to Canon R, I find it not attractive. I use the 5DsR mainly with the 100-400 and similar long lenses.)
I started with SL early in 2016. For the first year without native lenses, I still had my R lenses and a few M and I adapted a few other lenses (Contax, Nikon, Canon/Sigma with AF). I was happy to use the Apo macro R 100 again and the fast R lenses. In the next three years came 2 SL zooms and 3 primes. I have now so many great SL lenses that I would never consider switching back to CaNikon.
The SL2 now has even IBIS and more resolution. I am tempted, but wait a little, until it is available everywhere. After the many demos there will be many demo cameras on offer ...   In the meantime the Canon 5DsR is still good enough for me and fills in the gaps the SL still has.

In the future the L-mount offerings will get more and more diverse. Probably they will offer even more selection than any other brand. (already 6 cameras to choose from)

Edited by caissa

On 9/6/2019 at 2:33 AM, freitz said:

My drawbacks to the SL are quite frankly for a hobby owning more then 2-3 lenses isn't possible. The system itself is great, only use the zoom right now and sold all my lenses. I think the SL is better paired with those that shoot the M. 

This started as looking at the Canon EOS R for my wife, but beginning to think might make sense for both to adapt the system to be able to share lenses. Two Leica SL's wouldn't really work right now.

If your wife likes Leica colours, and you already have L mount glass, would a gently used CL work for her, or is that outside of the proposed budget? A nice thing about L mount is that Sigma are coming out with more and more affordable L mount lenses as the months go by.

I have the EOS R and the new R mount 85mm 1.2 and the 50mm 1.2.  Honestly,  I have never seen such beautiful rendering and micro contrast in any photographic lens in my entire life.

The lenses are big though, but it is not negotiable.  These lenses are so good that they should be bought first and sort out the camera that can use them later. 

I also imagine the Leica SL primes are just as good but I cannot comment since I do not own them.   For me a camera system is all about the lenses.

Some people complain about no IBIS in the Canon EOS R at the moment and that the tech is somewhat older with a 30 MP sensor.  I admit that is frustrating, but I will need to upgrade to the next EOS R iteration likely when it comes out in feb 2020.

If the SL2 had been out when I bought the EOS R and these lenses,  I would have seriously considered it as well.   Recently,  I was even tempted to switch to the SL2,  but I cannot risk not having those RF 1.2 primes, and I really love the dual pixel autofocus and the eye tracking of the Canon R, so there is no going back.

• Like 2