Which base plate for S (006)

MacSpikes

5 hours ago, MacSpikes said:

Is there a base plate that is just a “base plate”, i.e. without the L-shape?

Don’t think there’s one specific to the S, but you might contact their customer service about other options.  They’re quite responsive and helpful.  

But the L plate fits well as John notes, and has the added benefit of easy switch to portrait orientation without having to adjust the ball head.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have used the one from RRS for some years and am very happy with it. The ability to quickly switch to portrait orientation is central to why it’s so useful for me. The strength of L plates of course is that the camera is still centred on the head in portrait mode. Depends what you are shooting of course. I use mine on tripod in studio almost always. It’s really pretty low profile installed and mine is never off my S. There must never have been sufficient demand for a design that accommodates the battery grip too unfortunately.

I would add that you really also need the spacer arrangement if tethering.

i have experimented with using some of their bar only or smaller items but nothing else I have tried provides the same rigid and secure alignment

Markins PG-32 is my favorite plate for the S2/S006, it has a lip for anti-rotation and two lugs for a wrist strap, it is thin and the mounting plate at the bottom is square allowing multiple orientation when mounting on the tripod head.  It is not RRS quick clamp compatible but gaffer tape is a work around.  

22 hours ago, MacSpikes said:

Currently using a Gitzo tripod with a RRS ball head. I have always used RRS base plates on my cameras (M, R) and was wondering which base plate would fit the S? An RRS plate would be nice, but I don’t mind if I would need to switch to an Arca Swiss setup if that would gibe a better fit.

This is what I use:

https://www.adorama.com/indpu70.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/659042-REG/Induro_459_060_PU_60_Slide_In_Quick_Release.html/?ap=y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-5Lb6Iq85AIVi5-fCh1S9wlkEAQYASABEgIrzPD_BwE&lsft=BI%3A514&smp=y

Edited by dave.gt

1 hour ago, John McMaster said:

There is nothing on that plate to align it, the RRS (and eBay) ones have a pin that fits in the body base to line it up...

john

Yes, I know...🙂

For what I do, it has made no difference over the last three years and thousands of images.

L plates are great unless you carry the S around in a shoulder bag daily  as I do and the plates are a pain for me. I don't use mine anymore.

But then I rarely do in-studio work now.

All the information here seems spot on, but I just want to confirm that the RRS BPCS also works just fine if you do not want an L plate. I never had an issue with slipping or twisting etc. The L plate is really helpful if you want to easily photograph in the vertical position, but it does add bulk and a tiny bit of extra weight. I always found myself wanting a more ergonomic and elegant solution to the whole camera mounting problem...