Batteries finally died!

SJCoates

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone, after a bit of a break from photography I am planning to return to the fold :)

I have just tried both of my Leica R6.2 bodies that I purchased new in 1999 and 2000, and it finally seems that the batteries have died; the light meters still work, but the self timer and viewfinder light don't work in either body - so there is obviously still some battery life in both cameras. Obviously these cameras are extremely frugal in terms of battery use due to the mechanical shutter, but 20-odd years seems pretty long to me!

This will be the first time that I have had to replace the batteries in these cameras. I think this is pretty amazing. Even if the cameras had never been used, I would imagine that this lifespan is pretty incredible. Or maybe it shows the quality of the batteries to stay alive all this time; the batteries that came with the cameras are Duracell.

Can anyone beat that lifespan who has a similar camera?!

Possibly more a reflection of actual camera usage rather than battery longevity? How many films have been exposed in the camera? How long was your 'bit of a break from photography'? Batteries can retain their charge for many, many years if the appliance is not used. I have a Sony scientific calculator bought new in 1983 … seldom used and still has the original Sony AA cells … and it still functions perfectly with the original batteries after 36 years. 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire