Q2: care with SD cards

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looking at an expensive repair on my Q2.

I foolishly used a damaged SD card, which pulled out a copper pin from the card slot when (forcibly) extracted.  

UK Leica can’t repair the Q2 because it’s weather-sealed so it's off to Germany.  Worse still, the Q2 card slot is soldered to the camera motherboard and so it all needs replacing.

All because I filled a card and resorted to a compromised spare (for some very mundane shots).  🙄

You’ve been warned.

Edited by paul.bridges.3388
  • Like 2

Somewhat in the same vein, last month I was on Cape Cod. Up early one morning to photograph a sunrise at Chatham Light with a rain storm moving out. I got my Q2 mounted on the tripod ballhead and was setting up in the dark, shielding the camera from rain with my jacket. Unfortunately, the ballhead (with Q2) became unscrewed from the tripod and fell to the pavement. I was dumb struck. I’ve used this Gitzo Traveler tripod and RRS BH-30 ballhead for more than 10 years and all over much of the world traveling. I never ever had any indication that only 4 threads were holding the head. Somehow I must have twisted enough times the wrong direction and the camera fell. It cracked the top plate, scratched the hood and on/off lever and scuffed up my beautiful Arte de mano half case. The camera still functioned fine for the rest of the trip although every time I looked at it, my stomach would ache. I got home and the next day sent it to Leica service in NJ. The quote is $850. They’re awaiting a part to complete the repair. Good to check your ballhead to tripod attachment. Mine now has 8 threads and loctite holding it safe and tight. 

• Like 2

vor 6 Stunden schrieb lykaman:

Why on earth would you feel the need to see a damaged SD Card?

It would be also interesting for me to see what precise part/edge/"hook"(?) of the damaged SD card pulled out the copper pin, so that I could check every now and then whether mine is still doing fine or maybe going the same way soon...

@paul.bridges.3388 So if you still have it, it would be very nice to see the cause of the hassle.

7 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

Somewhat in the same vein, last month I was on Cape Cod. Up early one morning to photograph a sunrise at Chatham Light with a rain storm moving out. I got my Q2 mounted on the tripod ballhead and was setting up in the dark, shielding the camera from rain with my jacket. Unfortunately, the ballhead (with Q2) became unscrewed from the tripod and fell to the pavement. I was dumb struck. I’ve used this Gitzo Traveler tripod and RRS BH-30 ballhead for more than 10 years and all over much of the world traveling. I never ever had any indication that only 4 threads were holding the head. Somehow I must have twisted enough times the wrong direction and the camera fell. It cracked the top plate, scratched the hood and on/off lever and scuffed up my beautiful Arte de mano half case. The camera still functioned fine for the rest of the trip although every time I looked at it, my stomach would ache. I got home and the next day sent it to Leica service in NJ. The quote is $850. They’re awaiting a part to complete the repair. Good to check your ballhead to tripod attachment. Mine now has 8 threads and loctite holding it safe and tight. 

Some years ago I destroyed a Nikon D300 in a similar way.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, leicabug said:

Could you show us your damaged SD card?

I’m traveling without it....but will post later.

The SD card lock tab was faulty and I taped it in the field so the camera would continue to record images on it.  After the shoot, it was apparent that the tape jammed the card in the slot.  I assume the push release was jammed by the tape and so the card plastic tore when I pulled it out with heavy tweezers.

It was an expensive, fast card...which motivated me to patch it up 🙄

Edited by paul.bridges.3388
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A couple of lessons to be learned here, I guess.

1. Always carry a spare SD card

2. Never force anything. Having Leica remove a stuck card (or battery or lens for that matter) is always far less expensive than having CS rebuild the entire camera to get at the damaged part.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, jaapv said:

A couple of lessons to be learned here, I guess.

1. Always carry a spare SD card

2. Never force anything. Having Leica remove a stuck card (or battery or lens for that matter) is always far less expensive than having CS rebuild the entire camera to get at the damaged part.

The large size of Q2 files makes these points all the more important.

• 2 weeks later...