Infrared filters and the TL2

bcorton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wanted to see how well (or poorly) my TL2 could be coaxed into producing infrared or near-infrared photographs.  So I started this informational topic to pass along some of what I found out.

I used infrared film only very occasionally during my predominantly film days, but there were times when it was just the ticket.  One of my favorite B&W films was and still is Ilford's near-infrared SFX-200 processed in PMK Pyro, both for normal and occasionally for near-infrared photos (but that's another story).

It turns out that the TL2's sensor collects an impressive amount of infrared light.  (Simple test: try viewing the business end of an IR TV remote through the camera.  If you can see the IR diode--I assume it's a diode--light up when pressed, then you've got something to work with.)  The TL2 shows the diode very well.  So did the X2, but the X2 didn't fare nearly so well once I tried using it with IR filters.  The exposure times were way too long.

Getting the TL2 converted to Infrared is an option, and one that will preserve exposure times we are more used to.  Filters, as you all know, slow exposure times down.  But if you only use IR occasionally, as I do, IR conversion of the camera isn't a desirable option.  So I experimented with filters, and the results are as follows:

I used three filters on the TL2 in various types of scenes.  The three filters were--in order of ascending visible light filtration--first, the B+W 092 (which Schneider says "...blocks visible light up to 650 nm, and at just below 700 nm it allows 50% to pass through ....  From from 730nm to 2,000 nm the transmittance is very high at over 90%").   The second (perhaps the Goldilocks filter) was the HOYA R72 Infrared, which is designed to pass 95% of the light between 760nm and 860nm.  The third, and darkest, filter was the B+W 093 which . . . well, I'll let them tell it: "blocks the entire visible light spectrum.  It therefore appears black and in contrast to the B+W 092 infrared filter 695, it enables shots in pure infrared without the visible red.  The transmittance does not exceed 1% until 800nm, but increases to 88% at 900nm."  

I'll put results in subsequent posts.

First let's look at this scene.  Here it is in color.18mm, -2/3 EV.  f/5.6, 1/3,200 sec. exposure, ISO 1600.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And here's the B&W jpg, straight out of the camera.

NOTE: ALL INFRARED FILTERED IMAGES ARE JPG FILES, STRAIGHT FROM CAMERA.

B+W 092

1/10 sec. exposure (everything else the same as above).

HOYA R72

1/4 sec. exposure

Edited by bcorton

And finally, the B+W 093

6 sec. exposure, but look at that infrared!  

Edited by bcorton
  • Like 1

Here's one more sequence.  ISO 1600, f/5.6, 1/4000 sec., -2/3 EV, lens at 18mm.

(NOTE ESPECIALLY THE LEAVES IN THE UPPER RIGHT HAND CORNER AS THEY DISAPPEAR AND REAPPEAR VIS A VIS THE SKY VALUES)

color:

B&W straight out of camera

Edited by bcorton

B+W 092

1/8 sec. exposure

HOYA R72

1/4 sec. exposure

B+W 093

6 sec. exposure

Edited by bcorton

So a Leica CL, 25mm Canon, on a dreary day, cloud cover light rain. normal photo ISO 800 f4 1/1000

Leica CL 25mm Canon with Leitz IR filter (from 1970s) ISO800 f4 1s again a dreary day.

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, RCM9 said:

Thank you for sharing. I have had my TL2 now for several months and take it with me almost everywhere I go. This series has given me several ideas. Thank you for opening my eyes to something I would not have considered. 

RC 

Thank you for commenting and you are welcome.   I was so jazzed when I chimped the first results on the back of the camera and realized the TL2 was quite capable of IR photography.  It was a revelation.  I hoped sharing would help someone else.  Thanks.

8 hours ago, Marac said:

Great to play with IR filters

I had my old T converted to IR 830 now it shoots at normal speeds in gorgeous IR.

Yes.  I saw your posts and images on another thread.  Unfortunately, I traded my old T in on the TL2.  If I had thought about infrared at the time, I might have done the same.  'Live and learn, eh?

2 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

Leica CL 25mm Canon with Leitz IR filter (from 1970s) ISO800 f4 1s again a dreary day.

Thanks for that.  The image is very lovely: vintage seeming.  There is almost something platinum print-like about it.

Do you have any idea what wavelengths the old Leica IR filter passes?

Edited by bcorton

Not sure about the filter's wave length, it is very dark red but not opaque, much darker than the Red 29 I have. IR works best on a sunny day, just got inspired to try after reading your post. Obviously ISO 800 and one second exposures aren't a usable formula. But I did a lot of IR photography back in the 70's and 80's. May still pick up an M8 which didn't have an IR masking filter. Having problems finding 41mm filters for my 25 Canon and 35 Canada Summilux.

• Thanks 1

OK the sun came out same scene CL 25 Canon, Leitz IR filter ISO 800, 1/5 sec f4

• Thanks 1

Again, CL with 23 Summicron, a Wratten 29 gel ISO 800 1/640 sec f4. This is interesting with High Speed Infrared film this would give a light weight IR rendition, doesn't do much with a full spectrum sensor. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

OK the sun came out same scene CL 25 Canon, Leitz IR filter ISO 800, 1/5 sec f4

Interesting.  This has a very similar feel to the "dreary day" image using the same filter.  Go figure.