Wireless trigger of choice?

Godox Xpro (Canon interface). I mainly use it on the SL, but have used it with the CL.
It's only defect that I can see is a sensitive on-off switch. Easily usable with a dial remote control of power on up to 5 flash groups.
I trigger Godox AD200 and V850 strobes.

Edited by LocalHero1953

5 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

See my first post above!

Duh, sorry for missing that.  I also found another post where one used a Nikon version.  I guess it's all done on the center pin anyway...  I've been considering adding a Fujifilm for more professional lighted shoots, I wonder if the Fuji Godox trigger would work on both cameras.  Or, I wonder if the Godox lights can be triggered optically... hmm

1 hour ago, justbananas said:

Duh, sorry for missing that.  I also found another post where one used a Nikon version.  I guess it's all done on the center pin anyway...  I've been considering adding a Fujifilm for more professional lighted shoots, I wonder if the Fuji Godox trigger would work on both cameras.  Or, I wonder if the Godox lights can be triggered optically... hmm

I heard mixed stories on which version of the Xpro to get and checked the Canon version before buying it. Some of the uncertainty comes from other triggers (e.g. Pocketwizards) where you needed the right version: Pocketwizards in Canon shape didn't work - you needed the Nikon one. These mismatches may have been sorted now.

21 hours ago, justbananas said:

On the cL, what’s your wireless flash trigger of choice?

I have an ancient Cactus V2 trigger pair and a slightly less ancient Cactus V5 trigger set. No dedicated anything, just simply RF triggers. They work fine on the CL (and have on every camera I've fitted them to since about 2008, but one: the V2 caused RF interference which somehow mucked with the sensor on one of my Panasonic bodies way back when). 

23 hours ago, ramarren said:

I have an ancient Cactus V2 trigger pair and a slightly less ancient Cactus V5 trigger set. No dedicated anything, just simply RF triggers. They work fine on the CL (and have on every camera I've fitted them to since about 2008, but one: the V2 caused RF interference which somehow mucked with the sensor on one of my Panasonic bodies way back when). 

The cactus could work.. eventually I would like to be able to control the flash power manually from the unit on the camera.  This would require a matched set I guess.  Like Godox trigger to Godox flash/strobe...

Check prices - buying a Godox controllable system was far cheaper than the simple Pocketwizard trigger/receivers I owned before. Remote control makes life easy: I switched systems when I wanted 2-3 strobes to illuminate a dance floor, with the lights on a balcony above the floor where I was with the camera.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear it, thanks.

That's more money than I suspect my flash needs justify, however. I'll probably stick with what I have and/or add the SF-40 to my kit eventually (so I can have one fully dedicated flash unit). I've only used flash with the CL on two occasions in the past year and some that I've owned the camera. 

Here's a test shot.  I genuinely feel the off camera flash adds a lot of depth to shots that would other wise be rather flat in tone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ramarren said:

LOL! Of course it does ... There's little worse than 'on camera flash' to make a portrait look flat and banal. :) 

An exception might be a well managed ring light. Google ring light portrait. Of the many examples we cam see a few where the photographer modulated the effect quite well.

I tried using a ring light for portrait fill light some years ago. I found the effect somewhat unappealing to me; I don't pretend to be a master of the technique, but it didn't seem to me that light concentric with the lens axis was really the way to go after a few experiments. I'm sure others found a way to work it to their expectations/desires.... :)