Q + M -- does it make sense?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Q2 makes a lot of sense as a first Leica camera. I've been eyeing off the new Q2, but I'm not quite sure about it, given that I've already bought into the interchangeable lens system: I have some M lenses and two M bodies already. So, I have a bit of a dilemma here. I could always go buy more M glass, which is always a great investment and gives great results, or I could buy the Q2.

I'm curious as to how people are making a Q2 and M setup complement each other. How does it make sense for you?

The q2 only makes sense if your favourite lens is 28mm and your a fan of EVF photography.

I love the beautiful clear finder on an m rangefinder and although i have a 28mm lens for my m262 i only use it for about 10% of my pictures.

So for me it makes no sense at all.

The longer focal length on the ranger finder you go the smaller the frame and I feel that diminishes my M experience.

on the other end of the scale a 35mm would really make use of that lovely ovf yet it’s very close to the Q 28mm

so 28mm Q and 50mm M is the kind of combination I could go for. And it was the combination I carried in Venice.

Edited by dancook
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dancook said:

The longer focal length on the ranger finder you go the smaller the frame and I feel that diminishes my M experience.

on the other end of the scale a 35mm would really make use of that lovely ovf yet it’s very close to the Q 28mm

so 28mm Q and 50mm M is the kind of combination I could go for. And it was the combination I carried in Venice.

Same with me.  I sold my SL and Q1, and now have two cameras: M10-D and Q2.  I have 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and 90mm for the M10-D.  I decided to check lens usage on a recent trip to Skye and Harris & Lewis.  Roughly 50/50 between Q and M.

Approximate lens usage on the M was 24mm 0% (!), 35mm 25%, 90mm 25% and 50mm 50%.  For my next trip I will probably do as Dan says and just take the Q2 and M10-D with 50mm.  These two make a great combo.

• Like 2

Cropping 28mm to 35mm makes very little difference in angle of view. Yes you could crop to 50mm with considerable more loss. I accept the 2 body approach but try always to avoid it as it is not comfortable to carry 2 bodies. Why then not go for a fast zoom (24-70mm) on a classic body?

Edited by M10 for me

I just let go of my M10, and am using a Q2 now as my primary walk-around camera, a role that the M10 formerly played.

The reason for me is simple: I wear glasses, and the best lens for me on the M was a 50mm.  I could easily see all of the frame lines at once, and I think the amount of frame visible outside the 50mm framelines was just right for being able to “anticipate” and see a moment develop.  HOWEVER, over the last few years I’ve been shooting wider and wider, and I was just never comfortable with even a 35mm lens on the M10.  It was hard  for me to see all of the framelines while wearing glasses.

I did try putting a diopter on the M (-0.5 if I remember correctly).  That allowed me to see more of the finder, but created another problem: i was constantly taking off and replacing my glasses.  Really got in the way of my “flow.”  

So, the EVF is one of the things that makes the Q and the Q2 the right choice for me.  The weather sealing of the Q2 is something else I really appreciate.  If someday Leica makes an M with an integrated EVF, I’d probably get that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dancook said:

This is my set up too. Q2 + M9 and 50mm Summicron. Seems to be the most popular combo amongst the folks here.

Edited by omar.gurnah

I've been shooting an M 246 with the Cron 50mm APO as my primary set-up for a couple of years now but I recently added a Q2. Though "stuck" with one lens on the Q2, I find cropping to be a surprisingly workable compromise.  The monochrome captures from the Q2 are also quite nice and so I've started questioning whether I really need to hold onto the M246.  All I needed to do, however, is look through even many of the mundane images I've shot with the M246 and the 50 APO and I see some impressive Leica magic that the Q2 can't match.  But then again, the M246 can't match the Q2 color - or any color for that matter, LOL.

Thus, for me the Q2 plus M246 is a complimentary pairing and I can carry both (and a couple of M lenses) in a relatively small bag when the spirit moves me.  Also, I simply don't want to stop shooting with an M, I find it very enjoyable and deliberate, whereas the Q2 is convenient and versatile and fun to shoot in its own way.  Variety is good.

• 1 year later...
On 9/1/2019 at 6:26 PM, T25UFO said:

Same with me.  I sold my SL and Q1, and now have two cameras: M10-D and Q2.  I have 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and 90mm for the M10-D.  I decided to check lens usage on a recent trip to Skye and Harris & Lewis.  Roughly 50/50 between Q and M.

Approximate lens usage on the M was 24mm 0% (!), 35mm 25%, 90mm 25% and 50mm 50%.  For my next trip I will probably do as Dan says and just take the Q2 and M10-D with 50mm.  These two make a great combo.

I am using a Q2 now and considering a M10 /M10-P with 90mm. 

Is it hard to use M10 with 75mm / 90mm?

2 hours ago, charles tay said:

Yes to be completely honest.  90 mm is very difficult with M. I think so - 75 maybe a little easier.  I have 90APO but rarely use it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, charles tay said:

I don't have a M 75mm.  I eventually sold my M 90mm APO Summicron as I did find it hard to focus.  I now have a SL2 for anything longer than 50mm.

Provided you don't print large, the 75mm crop on the Q2 is fine.  I recently posted these photos of Corfe Castle, colour taken with SL2 and 75mm Summicron (47mp) and black and white taken with Q2M cropped to 75mm (6.5mp).  Proves my point . . .

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, charles tay said:

I typically have a 75 mounted to my M 262.  I do use a 1.25 magnifier, also.   That combo works quite well for me and lives in my camera bag next to the original Q.

• Like 2