How to shoot & post processing indoor with yellow light bulb?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a difficult problem with shooting in the coffee shop with yellow light bulb, all the images have yellow light and very hard to post processing with it, any tips and trick?

Below is examples with a pic in the coffee shop. Left is original from the camera, right is after i use a preset.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If, like here, you forget to use a card for colour balancing, then use the Lightroom white balance pipette tool and check various greys or whites in your picture: the white in the dress, the white of her eyes, her teeth. If none of those produces a satisfactory result, try the Auto White Balance setting in LR. If that doesn't work, you're into doing it yourself. Push the saturation slider to maximum; this will make it very clear which colour element is the problem: yellow-blue or pink-green, then adjust temperature and/or tint until it looks as neutral as you can get. Then reduce saturation to zero (or whatever value you wish). I find this approach usually gives me a slightly chilly image, so you may want to increase the temperature slider a bit (adding back in a bit of yellow warmth).

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, evikne said:

Get a WhiBal white balance card and shoot an extra picture where you hold this card in the same light as your main subject. Then use the LR white balance pipette on the card and copy and paste the WB values over to the other pictures. 

13 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

If, like here, you forget to use a card for colour balancing, then use the Lightroom white balance pipette tool and check various greys or whites in your picture: the white in the dress, the white of her eyes, her teeth. If none of those produces a satisfactory result, try the Auto White Balance setting in LR. If that doesn't work, you're into doing it yourself. Push the saturation slider to maximum; this will make it very clear which colour element is the problem: yellow-blue or pink-green, then adjust temperature and/or tint until it looks as neutral as you can get. Then reduce saturation to zero (or whatever value you wish). I find this approach usually gives me a slightly chilly image, so you may want to increase the temperature slider a bit (adding back in a bit of yellow warmth).

Thank you.

Grey card is always smart.

What you can also do, is the following:

Push the vibrance slider to 100, everything will look hideous. 

Now, you can adjust temperature and tint manually, until there is no yellow/blue (nor green/pink) shade to her skin anymore.

At that point, you put vibrance back to 0 and are greeted with a perfectly balanced colour temperaturr.

Just be careful about different light sources.always look at the skin and sometimes you'll have to accept yellow/blue backgrounds because of fluorescent lights and stuff like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mbphotox said:

Grey card is always smart.

What you can also do, is the following:

Push the vibrance slider to 100, everything will look hideous. 

Now, you can adjust temperature and tint manually, until there is no yellow/blue (nor green/pink) shade to her skin anymore.

At that point, you put vibrance back to 0 and are greeted with a perfectly balanced colour temperaturr.

Just be careful about different light sources.always look at the skin and sometimes you'll have to accept yellow/blue backgrounds because of fluorescent lights and stuff like that.

Wow, thanks for this great tips.

2 hours ago, Miltz said:

Why are you even using that preset? The Original looks much better...

I want to try the Orange-Teal preset, pretty cool with this preset.

Hi all, i can't edit the top thread so i post the RAW file DNG here, so you guys could help me post processing with this images:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xpEFp6HJhtRvkBXZmlJ7eKF9eHlqvkdY/view?usp=sharing

Then you could do anything in your style and please upload the result so that i could learn from that. I am very appreciated this.

I agree with everyone suggesting to set the white balance on the dress, eyes or teeth white. The only problem is that because you have two light sources (one the lights inside the shop and the other the natural light from the window), when you set the white balance on the white of the dress, the blue light from the window will get intensified.  For this reason I have decreased the saturation of blue channel.

I have attached the settings file for Adobe RAW, but due to the difficult lighting you may need to fiddle a bit deeper in Photoshop..

L1000642.xmp

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zampelis said:

I agree with everyone suggesting to set the white balance on the dress, eyes or teeth white. The only problem is that because you have two light sources (one the lights inside the shop and the other the natural light from the window), when you set the white balance on the white of the dress, the blue light from the window will get intensified.  For this reason I have decreased the saturation of blue channel.

I have attached the settings file for Adobe RAW, but due to the difficult lighting you may need to fiddle a bit deeper in Photoshop..

L1000642.xmp 5.14 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you,

Yes, 1st of all when i shoot this, i have no idea why it is so hard to post processing this, know i know because it so complex in lighting source.

2 hours ago, dusuacangmong said:

Thank you,

Yes, 1st of all when i shoot this, i have no idea why it is so hard to post processing this, know i know because it so complex in lighting source.

You can further improve the skin tones of the above image by adjusting the white grey and black points in levels panel and remove any colour inconsistencies by adding a couple of masks (floor, glassware) to block the warm hue caused from the auto white balancing on the extreme blue of the external light. Then you can adjust the saturation to your liking.

Edited by zampelis
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just a quick Lightroom edit, using my suggestion with the vibrance "cheat". I don't really mind the blue tint from the window, as long as the skin doesn't appear orange/green/yellow

And here's what I usually resort to with difficult lighting..  also, because I love monochrome images.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mbphotox said:

Just a quick Lightroom edit, using my suggestion with the vibrance "cheat". I don't really mind the blue tint from the window, as long as the skin doesn't appear orange/green/yellow

And here's what I usually resort to with difficult lighting..  also, because I love monochrome images.

Yes, black and white with Q always give great result.

On 8/31/2019 at 8:44 AM, zampelis said:

You can further improve the skin tones of the above image by adjusting the white grey and black points in levels panel and remove any colour inconsistencies by adding a couple of masks (floor, glassware) to block the warm hue caused from the auto white balancing on the extreme blue of the external light. Then you can adjust the saturation to your liking.

I think this looks nice. Try using an adjustment brush in Lightroom for the yellow arm, right side of face, and hair on right side. The color balance is excellent. 

• Like 1

Massive front arm distortion, and small head...thanks to 28mm close-up.  Colour is the least of your problems.  It really looks ridiculous, as shown by some other Q users too.

Step back and crop for a "close-up"...the Q isn't the right camera for a lot of assignments.

Edited by david strachan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, david strachan said:

Massive front arm distortion, and small head...thanks to 28mm close-up.  Colour is the least of your problems.  It really looks ridiculous, as shown by others Q users too.

Step back and crop for a "close-up"...the Q isn't the right camera for a lot of assignments.

Not disputing this assessment of the photo: you make a very good point. The face looks so attractive that I didn't really notice the exaggerated arm, but nevertheless, normally, step back and crop.

But this discussion brought up important considerations that some of us, at least (me!), need reminder of: consider using a grey card when shooting in challenging light or at least setting the grey point in Curves (Levels works, too) in Photoshop. 

• Like 2

On 9/3/2019 at 10:14 AM, david strachan said:

Massive front arm distortion, and small head...thanks to 28mm close-up.  Colour is the least of your problems.  It really looks ridiculous, as shown by some other Q users too.

Is there anyway to fix this in Lightroom, David?

1 hour ago, dusuacangmong said:

Is there anyway to fix this in Lightroom, David?

There really isn't. That's why there are different lens systems and zooms. With the 28mm close-ups can work for flowers etc because we don't see the distortion problems.  Perhaps I'm  a bit critical...the brain likes to see what it wants to see...don't fall in love with your images and learn to look at them objectively.

With your camera, as suggested step two paces back, and crop radically...you'll still get a good pic for printing and web. Just remember that for that camera...not too close for people, and no edge people either (oval faces).

I appreciate your attitude.

All best

• Like 3

6 hours ago, david strachan said:

There really isn't. That's why there are different lens systems and zooms. With the 28mm close-ups can work for flowers etc because we don't see the distortion problems.  Perhaps I'm  a bit critical...the brain likes to see what it wants to see...don't fall in love with your images and learn to look at them objectively.

With your camera, as suggested step two paces back, and crop radically...you'll still get a good pic for printing and web. Just remember that for that camera...not too close for people, and no edge people either (oval faces).

I appreciate your attitude.

All best

Thanks you for the advice, David.

• Like 1

• Leon_B. changed the title to How to shoot & post processing indoor with yellow light bulb?