matteolesinigo

Leica CL, buy now or wait?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I am an amateur with passion for technology and last year I sold my old Nikon D800 with few lenses.
At the time I was undecided between the CL and the Sony A7 III and I opted for the latter due to the supposedly superior technical specs. I had the occasion to use it few times but did not fall in love with it, the ergonomy is not engaging and the feeling with the camera is not great. Moreover with couple lenses I got back to a bulky set that I am rarely taking.

Considering again to sell everything to get the CL and targeting the 3 zoom lenses. I have seen good used deals for both the camera and the lenses but am a bit worried that a CL2 will come out this year given the upgrade lifecycle of the T/TL/TL2 for which maximum interval was about 2 years.

Any suggestions?

thanks a lot

Matteo

:Leica usually runs on 3-4 year cycles. Basically your question is: shall I start taking photographs with gear I like now or in a couple of years? There is no guaranty that a CL2 will be a sensible upgrade for you. See the Q2: plenty of owners sticking with the Q.

Posted (edited)

The CL as it is highly regarded. If a new model appears, it will be some time before readily available. Buy pre-owned at a good price!  The lenses are 'forever', so no worries there.

Edited by ropo54

The CL as it is performs well enough that I am not at all concerned if a new model appears. I'll probably stick with what I have, unless there's a HUGE improvement in one thing or another. I don't expect a replacement model, other than perhaps 'special editions' for at least two more years. 

What shall they upgrade? The sensor? Nothing new around the block, see Sony's newest milc announcement with the same 24MP sensor. 

Buy now if you have an enjoyable shooting experience with it. 

I agree with the advice given above.

I just bought a CL,  it's a great and extremely versatile camera. I can't see what significant improvements a CL2 would bring. Anyway why wait, life's too short, go out there and enjoy it.

I bought a mint used copy complete with TL 18/2.8 a few months back intent on using my 'M' glass via an adaptor. The little 18mm has barely been off the camera. It's a little peach of a lens and makes the camera truly pocketable. Buy, you won't regret it.

7 hours ago, matteolesinigo said:

At the time I was undecided between the CL and the Sony A7 III and I opted for the latter due to the supposedly superior technical specs. I had the occasion to use it few times but did not fall in love with it, the ergonomy is not engaging and the feeling with the camera is not great.

Same here , I have a Leica CL and a Sony A7R3 and never take the Sony when I dont need it, the ergonomic and esthetic are a disaster 

7 hours ago, matteolesinigo said:

Hi, I am an amateur with passion for technology and last year I sold my old Nikon D800 with few lenses.
At the time I was undecided between the CL and the Sony A7 III and I opted for the latter due to the supposedly superior technical specs. I had the occasion to use it few times but did not fall in love with it, the ergonomy is not engaging and the feeling with the camera is not great. Moreover with couple lenses I got back to a bulky set that I am rarely taking.

Considering again to sell everything to get the CL and targeting the 3 zoom lenses. I have seen good used deals for both the camera and the lenses but am a bit worried that a CL2 will come out this year given the upgrade lifecycle of the T/TL/TL2 for which maximum interval was about 2 years.

Any suggestions?

thanks a lot

Matteo

Leica lifecycles are slower that other camer manufacturers BTW ...

Only buy the Leica if you want something small and light and like the design/workflow. It is severely lacking prime lenses if thats your thing. The zooms are quite slow.

For any other reason the Sony A7 iii is vastly superior. If you dont get on with the ergonomics of the Sony try the Z6,or try the ultimate, a second hand Leica SL. A reasonably priced kit with the new excellent Sigma and Panasonic lenses, and the soon to be announced new SL lens roadmap

If you are desparete for APS-C also look at the new Sony A6600

You might love the size, weight and usage of the CL. You will be disappointed if you are comparing the IQ to the D800

Good luck!

I have to respectfully disagree with the above sentiment @colonel.

The image quality of all the cameras you mention is, of course, fantastic. That is a given these days. But the CL is also a wonderful camera IQ-wise when paired with the right lenses and @matteolesinigo specifically mentions ergonomics and feel as contributing factors. I'm sorry but the simplicity and thoughfulness of Leica design is second to none and in that regard I'm sure he would be very happy making the switch.

1 minute ago, ruskkyle said:

I have to respectfully disagree with the above sentiment @colonel.

The image quality of all the cameras you mention is, of course, fantastic. That is a given these days. But the CL is also a wonderful camera IQ-wise when paired with the right lenses and @matteolesinigo specifically mentions ergonomics and feel as contributing factors. I'm sorry but the simplicity and thoughfulness of Leica design is second to none and in that regard I'm sure he would be very happy making the switch.

I never said that it doesn't have great IQ

Its just not in the league of the aforementioned camera. Even less so considering the primes available, as a complete system includes lenses

If truly superior file quality (IQ ain't the same) is required, one of the new FF flagship Sony, Nikon, Panasonic makes would be the ticket. Anything below, including the A7III produces marginally better files. But I'd rather have "QI" (quality images) than file quality obsession. And Leica gear inspires and stays out of the way for the shooter to take QI.

Only upgrade worth having to 'improve' the CL is a Full Frame upgrade, but that would 'kill off the M, SL and most other cameras! the Sigma fp will be very interesting to see when it gets to the shops.

34 minutes ago, Valau said:

Only upgrade worth having to 'improve' the CL is a Full Frame upgrade, but that would 'kill off the M, SL and most other cameras! the Sigma fp will be very interesting to see when it gets to the shops.

The SL is the FF CL

The M is a rangefinder, a completely different category

There are many ways to improve the CL .....

Yes, but do you need/want it? To me things like weathersealing, improved video and a better eye sensor are not worth the money it would cost.

5 hours ago, colonel said:

I never said that it doesn't have great IQ

Its just not in the league of the aforementioned camera. Even less so considering the primes available, as a complete system includes lenses

I've had and used all of those cameras. The CL is just as fine a performer as any of them. 

The CL is perfectly good to use with nearly every Leica M and Leica R lens, with optimizing lens profiles, and all the R system lens accessories (bellows, extension tubes, doublers, microscope adapters, etc), as well as all of the SL and TL series lenses if you want native mount operation and AF. That's a system of lenses and accessories much larger than any of the other cameras.

The other cameras are not in its league. I know, because it's replaced all of them in my use. :D

If you like what the CL offers then buy a used body now. If you don’t like it someone else has already taken the depreciation hit so the cost would be minimal. If you like autofocus then the TL lenses are “currency” across 4 camera bodies and are future proofed for the CL2 whenever that arrives. People with L-mount cameras are going to keep needing them, and the number of lenses will keep increasing. If you prefer manual focus lenses then there is a bazaar full of new and used M lenses from Leica and others. They too are “currency” that can be traded and are future proof. 

You can wait but what does it gain you? It’s a cliché but “Carpe Diem” will allow you to spend more time enjoying photography and less time spent talking and worrying about what to buy.

4 hours ago, colonel said:

The SL is the FF CL

The M is a rangefinder, a completely different category

There are many ways to improve the CL .....

SL to big and heavy for comfortable photography, M is a very nice camera but optical viewfinder not as good as the CL's digital one and can be prone to 'black out' under certain lighting conditions, CL + FF goes back to the original Barnack idea of a small pocketable camera