Rodenstock-Heligon 35mm f2.8 A, M mount.

Guess

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have some here but nothing special :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

Back on the subject of Leica screw to bayonet adaptors, I just bought this one. Really just because it is only marked 13.5cm. Would I be right in thinking it is an early version made before the M2 camera came out with the 35mm frame ?

Does anyone collect these adaptors and make a study of the variations in engraving and cutouts ?

This one is engraved in upper and lower case lettering with the focal length in centimetres whereas the others shown in this thread are in uppercase only and in millimetres without mm or cm after the number.

Are they worth a thread of their own? (As well as the thread inside them !)

Never saw one with focal in cm... but see in JC picture that alo the "5cm" variant exists... 

On 4/11/2020 at 4:13 PM, luigi bertolotti said:

Here ìs my Super Angulon 21 f4 in Bayonet Mount, with the factory adapter removed....

I have an adapter which looks identical to this. It came mounted on a custom mount for a Mountain Elmar. I'm starting to wonder if the 'M' Mountain Elmar isn't just a one off amateurs made item after all. I will have to post some pictures.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, luigi bertolotti said:

Never saw one with focal in cm... but see in JC picture that alo the "5cm" variant exists... 

here's two of my 50-75 adapters, one on the left in cm while on the right is in mm

Wonder which one is earlier - can we tell by the inscriptions ie

LHS: Ernst Leitz GmbH Wetzlar Germany DBP (GmbH inscription commenced around 51 & DBP changed from DRP round 52)

RHS: LEITZ WETZLAR GERMANY DBP (all caps)(was GmbH dropped later, if so then this is the more recent one thus cms predated mms)

Edited by romualdo
  • Like 2

followed by two 28-90 adapters one in cm & the other in mm

• Like 1

I wonder about the 28-50 adapter above, given that the M3 does not have 28mm frame lines. Could this be an early example of creative far east fakery?  I have an adapter out at my French house marked 28mm with the Leitz brand on it that from the quality, I am sure never saw Wetzlar. The thread pitch is  I suspect, 1mm instead of 26 tpi, so on newer cameras gets progressively tighter as it is wound in. 

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is my 'custom' Mountain Elmar. It consists of the lens head, a focus mount and an adapter which looks identical to the one Luigi showed fitted to his 21/4 SA. I've checked and an 'ordinary' LTM to M adapter fits which puzzles me. Why go the the bother of using an unusual factory adapter when others were available. I wonder if the focus mount is made up from Leica parts too? The RF is coupled but not accurate (Malcolm Taylor checked) and may be off a 135 lens perhaps. So is this a custom build, made from factory parts (perhaps even by a Leica employee or repairer?) or some odd test set up? Any suggestions gratefully received.

• Like 1

Have you noted the last one on right top raw, it is made for a 13.5 cm with his serial number.

• Like 1

983945 is not listed under 1951/2 Hektors where it might be expected to fit. The serial number predates the M range so the adapter must have been supplied later. Perhaps it was ordered with the serial number engraved? Would Leica do this?

5 hours ago, pgk said:

983945 is not listed under 1951/2 Hektors where it might be expected to fit. The serial number predates the M range so the adapter must have been supplied later. Perhaps it was ordered with the serial number engraved? Would Leica do this?

... but there is a big batch of 3000 Hektors rather close (from 984100).... 😉

On 10/31/2020 at 10:51 AM, jc_braconi said:

Have you noted the last one on right top raw, it is made for a 13.5 cm with his serial number.

Hello Jean Claude.

Very nice.

The serial number appears to be for a 40cm, Telyt, F5, Version I from 1952.

Best Regards,

Michael

• 2 years later...

This Rodenstock Heligon 35mm f2.8 arrived today. Very similar in style to my Chiyoko Super Rokkor 45mm f2.8

And this is the only thread I can find about the Heligon, a few people posting a picture taken with one but no discussion?

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Pyrogallol:

This Rodenstock Heligon 35mm f2.8 arrived today. Very similar in style to my Chiyoko Super Rokkor 45mm f2.8

And this is the only thread I can find about the Heligon, a few people posting a picture taken with one but no discussion?

As I own and use both I can say both are very fine lenses, although totally different in lens-design. The Heligon is a double-Gauss-design like the Summaron or Xenogon and performs on equal level, very compact and fine lens.

• Like 1

vor 45 Minuten schrieb wlaidlaw:

Might the Rodenstock have been designed as a medium format lens, given this was their speciality, also for large format. 

Wilson

At least on their home market in Germany Rodenstock offered a couple of very good lenses for a broad range of cameras, Leica, Exakta, Kodak-Retina, M42 aka Pentax-screw-mount and more.

I don‘t think the Heligon was originally for medium or even large format: with 35mm it would have been a very strong or even extreme wide angle for the larger formats and you couldn‘t expect f/2.8 then.

Though there is not much information about this lens: was it a special design for LTM or are there 35mm f/2,8 lenses from Rodenstock for other cameras? When was it produced? There are some lists about Rodenstock serial numbers on the web, though I don‘t trust them: your  23xxxxx would be from the early fifties then, which I don‘t believe. If Rodenstock really had a f/2.8 35mm so early it would have been a very strong contender to the Leitz Summaron which only had f/3.5 but the fact that it is a rather rare lens speaks well against this assumption. The Zeiss Biogon was never sold by Zeiss with LTM - and for the Contax it cost twice as much as the Summaron. Any idea about the Heligon‘s original price?

One more practical question: I think it has a very small filter thread, and you don‘t find filters in this size. Will Leitz A36-filters fit?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, UliWer said:

There are some lists about Rodenstock serial numbers on the web, though I don‘t trust them: your  23xxxxx would be from the early fifties then, which I don‘t believe. 

It also says "Made In Germany" - not East or West. How does that compare with an early 50s date?

Rodenstock was - and still is - working in Munich, which was - and still is - West-Germany. Products from West-Germany were always labeled „Made in Germany“ after 1947 or even 1945 (look at Leitz Wetzlar). So the „Made in Germany“ doesn‘t say anything about whether it was produced early in the 50s, or only in the last years of this decennium. 

what Kadlubek says, and I trust this source
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, UliWer said:

I don‘t think the Heligon was originally for medium or even large format: with 35mm it would have been a very strong or even extreme wide angle for the larger formats and you couldn‘t expect f/2.8 then.

Though there is not much information about this lens: was it a special design for LTM or are there 35mm f/2,8 lenses from Rodenstock for other cameras? When was it produced? There are some lists about Rodenstock serial numbers on the web, though I don‘t trust them: your  23xxxxx would be from the early fifties then, which I don‘t believe. If Rodenstock really had a f/2.8 35mm so early it would have been a very strong contender to the Leitz Summaron which only had f/3.5 but the fact that it is a rather rare lens speaks well against this assumption. The Zeiss Biogon was never sold by Zeiss with LTM - and for the Contax it cost twice as much as the Summaron. Any idea about the Heligon‘s original price?

One more practical question: I think it has a very small filter thread, and you don‘t find filters in this size. Will Leitz A36-filters fit?

Yes, A36 filters and hoods fit. I will use a hood from a 35mm Summaron.

• Thanks 1