Rodenstock-Heligon 35mm f2.8 A, M mount.

Guess

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi!

Just a quick introduction, I've been in the camera repair business for almost 30 years. As you can imagine I've owned just about every kind of camera and lens out there. For the past year or so I've been selling off all my film cameras. All my Leicas are long gone, but I keep finding odds and ends in my stockpile. I just recently dug up this Rodenstock lens. As i no longer have any cameras to use it on I was going to sell it. The only problem is I can't find any info on this lens. I see quite a bit on the same lens in S mount, but nothing on the M mount. Hopefully someone here has some info, specifically, what is this lens worth? I see prices on Ebay and other sites for the S mount version selling for anywhere from $700 all the way up to $1300, just nothing on the M mount. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

M Bayonet Mount Heligon ? Never heard of… are you sure it's not an adapter tightly screwed onto ?  I know that, being you in the repair business probably you have already checked this obvious detail… but really I never have seen or read anything about this lens in M Mount… can you post some pictures ? what is its s/n ? Apart the flange mount, the look is like the usual Screw Mount Heligon ? I ask because I saw a Heligon in M Mount… but was a 50mm, not 35mm, and was originally a Kodak Retina lens, professionaly modified to M Mount (with RF coupling)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

is it m39 with an M adapter screwed on or a native M mount ?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

OK, I now really feel foolish! To be honest, I never considered the thought it has a screw mount with an adapter attached. That is exactly what it is! I tried to separate the two, but they were on there tight. Real tight. This morning with some nice padded rubberized gloves I was able to finally separate them.  No idea why it never occurred to me that's what it might have been. I had not seen this lens in over 4 or 5 years. Forgot I even had it. 

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/30/2019 at 1:36 AM, luigi bertolotti said:

OK, all clear now… probably it was used on a M3 , with external viewfinder : with that Leitz adapter (28-50) the 35mm frame is not activated in the VF of the M Leica which provide it (M2 M4 and over)  .

Which adapter you used for the Hektor 28mm f6,3? Many thanks.

Edited by Erato

4 hours ago, Erato said:

Which adapter you used for the Hektor 28mm f6,3? Many thanks.

This one (old original, with cutout) proved to be well usable : focus knob moves smoothly and clicks at the infinity block : of course, no 6 bit codable

• Like 1

4 hours ago, luigi bertolotti said:

This one (old original, with cutout) proved to be well usable : focus knob moves smoothly and clicks at the infinity block : of course, no 6 bit codable

Thank you so much.

14 hours ago, luigi bertolotti said:

In case someone wants to use this lens (the Hektor 28mm f6,3) on a body with frame lines for 28mm. The old original adapter for a 90mm lens would trigger the right frame lines.

Edited by Jul
add lens name
  • Like 1

If you want to use these older LTM lenses on modern Leica digitals with live view, like the M240, M10 etc, you will find that the Leica M3/M2 LTM to M adapter rings will give the "no lens detected"  message. From experimentation I have found that the black version of the Voigtlander adapter type 2 without cut out works and the Rayqual also. Both of these are high quality and I have checked them with a micrometer. They are 100% parallel and exactly 1.00 mm thick. 

Wilson

• Like 2

14 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

If you want to use these older LTM lenses on modern Leica digitals with live view, like the M240, M10 etc, you will find that the Leica M3/M2 LTM to M adapter rings will give the "no lens detected"  message. From experimentation I have found that the black version of the Voigtlander adapter type 2 without cut out works and the Rayqual also. Both of these are high quality and I have checked them with a micrometer. They are 100% parallel and exactly 1.00 mm thick. 

Wilson

Yes, me too have the Voigtlander, and it's really well done, : the only problem is that, having no cutout, with some old LTM lenses with focus knob,  if you screw in the lens with knof engaged in the infinity lock, it cannot be de-engaged and so you cannot focus : with a lens like the hektor 28 this indeed is a no-issue... DOF is such that you can mount the lens not engaged in the infinity lock... you have free movement fron minimum focus to "next to infinity"... which in practice is infinity for a 28mm 6,3... 😉; not so true of course for a lens like the Xenon 1,5...

• Like 2

Rayqual makes good quality adapters that are cutout only on the "7:00" side where the infinity lock is located, with an area on the other side for paint marking a 6-bit code. Since Voigtlander quit making their adapters, CameraQuest now carries Rayqual. I assume all 28s have 7:00 infinity locks. I have an 11:00 50 Elmar and no adapter works with the lock.

• Like 2

Thanks ! That's a smart solution, indeed... the cutout is needed just to de-engage the knob pushing it a bit : once that is "free" from the lock, its pin comes back to the normal position and does not interfere with the normal-width ring, even if for just a fraction of mm. I didn't notice this variant in recent adapters. Well... only the "11 o' clock" LTM lenses still would have the issue... but I don't think many people uses them...  😎 they are all 90 years old around... (me too just have an Elmar 50 "5 digits" that is 11 o'clock...) 

Robert White carry the Rayqual adapters in the UK. 

Wilson

PS: Like the Voigtlander rings used to come in before Voigtlander dropped them, I think the Rayqual rings also come in two flavours. With cut out and without. I have just checked and my 50/75 and 28/90 Rayqual rings both foul the infinity lock on my 1932 7 o'clock Hektor 50/2.5, as neither has a cut out. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

On 8/28/2019 at 8:34 PM, Guess said:

Hi!

Just a quick introduction, I've been in the camera repair business for almost 30 years. As you can imagine I've owned just about every kind of camera and lens out there. For the past year or so I've been selling off all my film cameras. All my Leicas are long gone, but I keep finding odds and ends in my stockpile. I just recently dug up this Rodenstock lens. As i no longer have any cameras to use it on I was going to sell it. The only problem is I can't find any info on this lens. I see quite a bit on the same lens in S mount, but nothing on the M mount. Hopefully someone here has some info, specifically, what is this lens worth? I see prices on Ebay and other sites for the S mount version selling for anywhere from $700 all the way up to $1300, just nothing on the M mount. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

In terms of "Rodenstock-Heligon 35mm f2.8 A", Ernst Leitz built for Leica M Camera -- M2 21-35 M3 135. ISOOZ Adapter Ring is a well-fitted.

Infinity focus precisely and the lens works perfectly as well.

I'd like to share some sample shot via M10-P later if you guys are fine for it.

The adaptor with the longest cutout I have is this one, intended I am told for the 21mm Super-Angulon f4,  but even that fouls the infinity catch on an 11 o’clock lens.

• Like 2

Same here.

3 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

The adaptor with the longest cutout I have is this one, intended I am told for the 21mm Super-Angulon f4,  but even that fouls the infinity catch on an 11 o’clock lens.

This one is really strange... the cutout is "super-long"... and the SA 21 f4 has a normal focus movement (180° ca. - just checked mine) : I think to have never seen one like this... indeed one can think that was made for 11 o'clock lenses... but if does not match them, I wonder what was it designed for... 🙄  The cutout is "extended" almost to the position of the red dot reference point for mounting... looks like designed for a lens with a very wide rotation for focusing AND a knob... the only such lens which comes to my mind is the special old Elmar 35mm "near focus" (0,5m)... (and could have a sense for re-using some old repro system with a M camera) ...or maybe some other special/lab item...