Best paper for printing on Epson SC-P800

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello!

Maybe any opinions and recommendations?

There are many papers for inkjet photo printers.

What was your experience - especially with regard to the quality of paper?

Printer EPSON SC-P800.

I would like to try some other paper.

Now I mostly use Ilford Galerie Prestige Smooth Pearl/Glossy, Gold Fiber Silk, Mono Silk and Tecco Matte Paper (Portrait).

Do you have any recommandations for paper especially for Black and white photo printing with Advanced Black abd White on Epson SC-P 800 (ABW).

and

for printing color photos.

I ask for your experience because I am new in this (printing).

Thank you.

I don't think that there is a "best" paper, but I do think that my Monochrom images come out quite well on Canson Infinity Baryta.

For colour I stick to Canon papers.

I use an Epson  XP-15000

In general I think your images come out best if you use a paper that you  know really well.

Agree with Jaap, including use of Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique (especially b/w).  Canson papers have largely replaced Ilford Gold Fiber Silk and Hahnenuhle papers as a frequent choice for various work. I use a few other brands/papers as well, but limit choices to gain time and experience.  

ImagePrint software helps a lot by providing excellent profiles for virtually all papers (including grey scale as well as different lighting conditions) and ensuring that all printer settings are optimized for their specific use.  It overrides my Epson P800 print driver and saves me the trouble.  And it works in continuous soft proof mode, which saves time and paper.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I used Canson Baryta Photographique until Platine Fibre Rag 310 appeared. After doing some comparison tests, we thought it really had an edge on detail definition and tonal reproduction. Shortly after these tests with some "printing" friends, Ming Thein issued an interesting review that matched our results and conclusions:

Pushing print limits. Ming Thein.

Now I have just bought before summer some of the new Canson Baryta Prestige 340 but I have had no time for testing yet. Somebody has been able to test it? Any comments about its acutance? Thanks in advance.

Edited by AlbertTRAL
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AlbertTRAL said:

I used Canson Baryta Photographique until Platine Fibre Rag 310 appeared. After doing some comparison tests, we thought it really had an edge on detail definition and tonal reproduction. Shortly after these tests with some "printing" friends, Ming Thein issued an interesting review that matched our results and conclusions:

Pushing print limits. Ming Thein.

Now I have just bought before summer some of the new Canson Baryta Prestige 340 but I have had no time for testing yet. Somebody has been able to test it? Any comments about its acutance? Thanks in advance.

I use both Canson Infinity Baryta and Platine.  Platine has a different stipple/texture, is warmer and has no OBAs.  Infinity Baryta is more similar to Ilford Gold Fiber Silk (at least before IGFS might have changed), both with very small amounts of OBA.  Different papers for different needs and objectives.

Jeff

18 hours ago, tom24 said:

Thank you

Canson Baryta has two types of paper - photographyque and prestige.

Prestige has slightly more OBA than Photographique and so is a bit cooler. I have not tried Prestige, being satisfied with Photographique.

If you are in the U.S., the Moab baryta is very good, too. It is worth getting their sample pack to discover which of their other papers you like, too.

For prints with matte ink, Canson Printmaking Rag is excellent for both color and b&w.

No such thing as best paper; depends on tastes and preferences, often specific to a picture as well as display conditions and goals. Framing, glass type, matting and lighting are often overlooked and can significantly alter the look of a print. Quality paper choices are abundant these days, including gloss (typically semi gloss), matte, warm, cool, different textures, etc, both within and between brands.  Best to experiment and then narrow down to learn and depend on a few over time. Custom profiles are recommended. Print longevity is another whole topic.

Most importantly, making a print ‘sing’ (assuming a worthy image to start), depends on user judgment (a ‘good eye’), technique and skill, just as in darkroom days. Getting from good to superb is not plug and play.  Printers and papers don’t ensure great results any more than camera gear dictates great lookalike work.

That said, I often use Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique for b/w and color, and  Iford Gold Fibre Silk for color.  I’m currently experimenting with Ilford Gold Fibre Gloss for color as well.  But I’ve tried and liked, and still have other stock from Canson, Epson, Hahnemuhle, Innova and others. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I am surprised no one has mentioned Epson's Exhibition Fiber.  I have always liked the results from this paper which has exceptional blacks.

Jaap, the problem with Canon's paper is that Canon does not make paper.  When contracts change, the supplier of the paper can change, potentially resulting in surprise results.  The studio / gallery I work with is also a value-added Canon iPF printer dealer.  The gallery refuses to use Canon paper.  There is not a single sheet / roll in the whole studio.

34 minutes ago, zeitz said:

I am surprised no one has mentioned Epson's Exhibition Fiber.  I have always liked the results from this paper which has exceptional blacks.

It’s among the Epson papers I referenced above (last sentence).  Nice paper, which I use occasionally, but I prefer Canson IBP as my go-to paper for broader use.  It has a smoother, warmer white base, which reminds me of look and feel of some old darkroom favorites. And it’s less expensive than the Epson.  Seems the Epson ‘Legacy’ line has tried to mirror the Canson  offerings.  

Jeff

• 1 month later...

I use a combination of Ilford Gold Fibre Silk/Canson Baryta Photographique -they're very similar- and Canson Platine, according to my feeling about how the surface texture will fit the photo I'm printing. I also like Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl sometimes instead of Platine for softer, less contrasty images. I'd also like testing Baryta Prestige, but my P600 is giving me some marks on the paper surface and I'm worried about using a 340 g paper. Looking forward to reading AlbertTRAL's findings.

I am also a loyal and enthousiast customer of Canson, after having tried Ilford FB papers, Hahnemühle, Tetenal, Harman Kardon Warmtone and several Epsons that came as a testpackage with the 3800. I now use the P800 and must say I’m much happier with that machine than with the 3800 because the ink stays fluid when you don’t print every week. I print every month. 
I use both Baryta Photographique and Platine. Platine solely for B&W because it’s a bit beige/ecru but not yet drowsy. The Harman Warmtone is good for nice espressoblack B&W prints but the surface is not that intriguing as Canson and it is so warm that it depends on the interior and the type of light whether it comes out nicely. And the subject is of course important, you can’t do anything on Warmtone. But I’m certainly happy that I worked with it for a while. It is the only serious paper I know that comes in A2+.

Why Canson then: first of all it turned out the sharpest of them all. That, in combination with the very natural paper quality made it my only brand that I use. Hahnemühle also has that natural appearance, but is not as sharp as Canson, as proven by a group of 4 friends in photography 😊 . Strange thing is that in the Netherlands there are hardly any shops that sell it, they all feature Hahnemühle, just like the printing labs here. So I go to Antwerpen in Belgium for Canson which is a great plus because it is a very photogenic city.

After spending a while trying different Canson, Hahnemuhle and Permajet papers, I now keep to Canson Platine Fibre Rag for lustre finish and Rag Photographique for matt. I don't play around with other papers unless colour is not critical, now that I am comfortable with my printing profiles. I have recently come across St Cuthbert's Somerset and Bockingford papers which I am curious to try - they come from the same storyline as Canson - a company making traditional papers on a historic mill site in Somerset. Has anyone else tried them? An alternative in the face of possible Canson shortages and cost rises after Br[@#*&!!].

Edited by LocalHero1953

On 10/18/2019 at 6:11 AM, oronet commander said:

I'd also like testing Baryta Prestige, but my P600 is giving me some marks on the paper surface and I'm worried about using a 340 g paper. Looking forward to reading AlbertTRAL's findings.

Which paper feed are you using?  Have you adjusted platen gap?

Jeff

• Like 1