M9 Color rendition on Nikon Df in LR 6?

Trielmar283550

• 1 year later...

I am still looking for a solution to "emulate" the M9 colors/look when using my Nikon Df/D4 alongside. Is the Adobe DNG Profile Editor the tool of trade? - Shoot the same subject with good variety of colors (if not a color checker target?) with M9 and with the Df/D4 with same focal length and aperture etc. and then tweak the values of the Df/D4 shot to match the M9's "interpretation" of the target colors? Then add a little clarity or sharpness to make up for the M9's lack of a low pass filter. Otherwise the Cobalt Image emulation software seems to do what I have in mind, as it profiles the color rendition of Camera A (or brings it up to a neutral target and then allows to "mount" emulations of Camera B etc. on this basis. However, it does not work with my still good LR6. Any experience with either the Adobe DNG Profile Editor? Is the Cobalt Image software any good so that it might become worthwhile to switch to the Adobe subscription version of LR?

On 8/28/2019 at 3:31 PM, adan said:

I've tried matching Canon and Nikon cameras/lenses to Leica digitals (and for that matter, the CMOS M10 to the M9). The bottom line was the Nikon (D600) with a 300mm f/4 PF Nikkor was just too "wrong" (red, contrasty-yet-desaturated) to really get close. The Canon (5D2) with Canon lenses was a bit closer, and a Canon 5D2 with adapted Leica R lenses got the closest - needed only a little tweaking of contrast and saturation and default white-balance.

Go to this edition of my magazine, and look at the ice-racing story to see some color examples of using Leica R lenses (400/180/21) on a Canon 5D2. Mixed with M9 pictures. Hard to tell which was which (except for the long teles, obviously).

'...

I use a Canon 5D with Leica R lenses. Compared to the R8+DMR it gives completely different results. I compared the DMR to a Nikon D800 fitted with a converted Leica Summicron 50 once. I had the same type of lens on the DMR(10 MP). Still a big difference. Lots of pixels from the Nikon(36MP), but more detail to be seen on the DMR ! Completely different approach of micro contrast. I liked the results from the Nikon better compared with the Canon with the same Leica lens. Files were more crisp on the Nikon. A good second place IMO, but not an option if you have lots of R lenses because you can not use them on the Nikon with a simple adapter. Nikon Z series can solve that issue, but then there is the SL series to compete with.

The M9 has the added complication of IR sensitivity, which is very difficult to neutralize in PP. So if you shoot the M9 without UV/IR filter, I can imagine it is impossible to mach the colors.

On 2/10/2023 at 10:38 PM, Trielmar283550 said:

I am still looking for a solution to "emulate" the M9 colors/look when using my Nikon Df/D4 alongside. Is the Adobe DNG Profile Editor the tool of trade? - Shoot the same subject with good variety of colors (if not a color checker target?) with M9 and with the Df/D4 with same focal length and aperture etc. and then tweak the values of the Df/D4 shot to match the M9's "interpretation" of the target colors? Then add a little clarity or sharpness to make up for the M9's lack of a low pass filter. Otherwise the Cobalt Image emulation software seems to do what I have in mind, as it profiles the color rendition of Camera A (or brings it up to a neutral target and then allows to "mount" emulations of Camera B etc. on this basis. However, it does not work with my still good LR6. Any experience with either the Adobe DNG Profile Editor? Is the Cobalt Image software any good so that it might become worthwhile to switch to the Adobe subscription version of LR?

LR 6 is obsolete by now. Virtually all algorithms have been improved and Adobe is taking its first steps into AI. If you want full colour control you will have to move into Photoshop and LAB processing. A steep learning curve. 

On 2/10/2023 at 9:38 PM, Trielmar283550 said:

Cobalt offer M9 emulation products (I’ve no experience with them) but these are .xmp RGB colour table solutions that will require adobe CC products to work.

DNG profile editor is occasionally useful but old hat now.. Lumariver has the functionality to design profiles (steep learning curve though)

The issue with making camera B render like camera A within adobe is that whatever WB the camera uses (be that AWB, a preset, a WhiBal derived value) is a key part of the maths that makes the colours and the camera’s WB algorithm maps un-white-balanced RAW colours to whatever neutral value that particular camera has and these values vary enormously between cameras, also cameras often have completely different native tones curves to one another.

or put another way, you’ll make a profile that makes cameras A and B render similarly on some pictures but completely differently on others.. (in much the same way that the M9 has a particular way of rendering say red, but red doesn’t look the same in every M9 picture)

If you’re shooting cameras A and B side by side personally I’d work on an image by image basis… if you’re not then applying edits to the target camera that you think would look like the base camera is probably the way forward.

To be honest it’s not really feasible to 100% match cameras A and B, just close the gap sufficiently to be happy enough and live with the differences… which you might want to do with a preset because the differences contract and elongate on a picture by picture basis and a preset is easier to tweak on the fly…

Eyeballing the WB in post would be the pareto point IME

• Like 1

@Trielmar283550

If you haven’t already… read the Lumariver user manual as it contains a lot of info about profile design and the compromises that all profiles have.

https://www.lumariver.com/lrpd-manual/

Also worth a read is Cobalt’s article about adobe profiles

https://www.cobalt-image.com/in-the-heart-of-our-basic-profiles/

In the above you should note that how adobe profiles went about their business in the M9 era (2009) is different than later cameras in 2012 and different again for today’s cameras…