Cl Telephoto options

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm sorry if I offend any of the members that use this forum on a daily basis.  I don't mean to offend.   I have just done a search for telefoto options for the leica Cl digital (Which I own, using the 18-56,  summaron 35 f3.5 and a Summicron-C.  I couldn't find anything that suggested longer lens for my CL. Help me with finding a good longer reach lens that will pair well with my CL.  Thank you is advance.

Jim

What do you mean by "longer lens"? 

The Leica APO-Vario-Elmar-T 55-135mm f/3.5-4.5 ASPH is a dedicated lens that, on the APS-C format, nets a classic FF 80-200mm zoom range. Beyond that, you can get the Leica APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280mm f/2.8-4, another native mount lens that obtains a FF equivalent 135 to 420 mm zoom range, and a stunning performer as well. 

135mm is a longer lens than I use most of the time on the CL, but I have longer lenses as well. I use adapted Leica R lenses: Summicron-R 90mm, Elmarit-R 135mm, and Elmar-R 180mm. I can also fit the 180 (or 135) with a 2x Extender-R teleconverter. This covers FF equivalents 135, 200, 260, and 360 mm FoVs. I can also use my ancient, cheap (and crappy) Sigma 600mm f/8 mirror tele, for an equivalent 900mm f/8 FoV. 

They all work great (well, except that old Sigma, but even it does okay when the light is right). 

Along with Ramarren, the choice quickly splits between AF lenses (L type only) or adapted lenses. For AF, needs to be an L mount (unless someone finds a good adapter for another kind of lens).

For manual focus, the M and R are lenses are easy and work very well. And that's a lot of lenses over a long time to chose from.  

In addition, one of the joys of the CL is that if accepting manual focus and aperture, you can pretty much mount anything.  Heck, I've put a Rollei Zeiss 250 on the CL, which is about as esoteric as one can find. Use adapters, and the world is pretty much wide open. 

• Like 1

I have adapted several long lenses:

Leitz 200 f4 Telyt, in Visoflex screw mount, even longer Viso lenses aren't that expensive.

90 f2.8 Elmarit, 1st version, nice lens. Came with its lens shade, which is necessary on some older single coated lenses.

For obscure, a 135mm f4 Schneider Retina lens from a Kodak Retina Reflex camera. Ok lens, again needs a lens shade.

From my Canon FD days:

90-180 f4.5 Vivitar Flat Field Macro, I find myself using this a lot because I like macro photography and I find a long macro more useful.

200 mm f4 Canon, Ok lens but I hear the f2.8 is better. I have put a 2x extender on this and made a mediocre 400 f8. 

If you need an auto focus lens, there is a Panasonic 70-200 in L mount, sharp Leica certified but not Leica build from the reviews I have read.

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, DenverSteve said:

Although this thread is 3 years old, the 55-135 is an L-mount lens and requires no adapter for use with the CL camera body.

Of course, however FD6 wasn't asking about a lens mount adaptor,  but a teleconverter of which there is none.