Where do you sell gear?

eleven24

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For years I've always sold off gear on eBay, and never had a problem.  Having read an article on PetaPixel about the woman who sold a Sony camera, was paid for it and then had the buyer swap out what she sent and take a picture of a much lesser camera in the same box as a means to obtain a refund for the wrong product delivered... I'm skeptical of selling through eBay now.  Not just this article of course, but it scams on things like camera gear are more likely than before.

So selling a Leica, and in my case it's my SL body, is troublesome.  For awhile now I've grabbed the M and left the SL sitting on the shelf & I always think I should sell that to someone who could use it as it's going to waste just sitting there.  I'm sure others are in the same boat as me, so where do you go to sell your gear?  Especially one with a name like Leica?

I have also sold almost all my photo gear on eBay over the last 20 years or so and never had a problem. I had one person return my Contax 645 camera but I quickly resold it. I even sold my Phase One back on eBay when I switched over to Leica several years ago now.

The story you relate would give me pause too. I don't know the outcome but I must remind myself that this is an exception to the rule and I think I will still go back to eBay when wanting to sell gear. I try to follow eBay's best Seller and Listing practises but I am still always a little hesitant when I put something up for sale. But my safety net is having my gear fully insured so if anything goes wrong I am covered.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree with Popflash being a very good alternative. I have purchased with them a few times too. The only negative for me living in Canada is shipping items down to the US and most likely having to reimburse Popflash for incurring import duty costs. But using them is certainly hassle free.

I've sold very little, but I have sold on commission with Ivor at Red Dot (who support this Forum). Their commission rates are very reasonable, and their service is excellent. I also was very happy with the now no more due to retirement of the proprietors, Photo Design Studio, who were based in the south-west of the UK if I recall correctly.

In the past I’ve mostly sold on Rangefinderforum without any problems. I used to list here at the same time, but I think it only worked for me once(?) and I was finally scared off by a really strange and drawn-out encounter with an established member who insisted over a period of weeks that money had been sent, or was about to be sent, or he needed to visit his bank, and so on.

In the end he abruptly stopped communicating with me, but continued to post on the forum as normal - I never really understood what happened there, as several times he’d assured me that payment had been made and it was fine for me to send him the lens I was selling.

Recently I had no takers on RFF for a whole bunch of equipment, so I contacted Ffordes and they sold it on commission - in every case valuing the equipment in a much more realistic way (I tend to price very low), and getting me more than I’d originally asked for.

I’ve bought plenty of equipment on eBay - but almost entirely from established stores - and never had any problem, apart from a private seller last year, that I described in another thread.

2 hours ago, eleven24 said:

Wow, now there's a site I haven't heard in such a long time!  I was a member back when he was selling Photoshop actions & things like that.  Maybe in the early 2000's?

It's still going on strong that site., matter fact I just sold my Q past weekend there 😃

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2019 at 12:18 PM, jaapv said:

I tend to use Meister - AKA Leica Store Berlin.

+1

I had a 28mm Summilux that was a hard sell at home, and I contacted Meister in Berlin. End of it all, I received 20 % more than I tried to sell it for, and a hand shake.