CL SF-40 and HSS ?

Neither the Leica CL nor Leica SF-40 instruction manuals make clear whether this feature is supported. It should be supported as there are no disclaimers saying otherwise.

If it is supported, it seems to be engaged automatically by just setting a high shutter speed. That's the most I can get from the manuals... 

• Like 1

I'm curious about it too because I have been considering purchasing one of these flash units, just so as to have one full-featured dedicated flash for the camera. 

Note that I would expect HSS to be engaged only in MANUAL or SHUTTER priority exposure modes. I would expect that in A or P modes, the camera will force the flash unit to operate at the nominal 1/60 second flash sync speed. AutoISO may also defeat the HSS operation in the same way. 

None of those would be a problem for me. I usually use dedicated flash units with the camera on Manual exposure and a fixed ISO setting anyway. I want the automation to apply to adjusting the duration of the flash itself only... :) 

Edited by ramarren

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wrote to Leica Store Miami to ask this question. The answer:

The Leica SF 40 syncs up to 1/250th of a second on the CL, but no faster. Only on the Leica SL can you use high speed sync with the SF 40.

I'll post this to the other thread as well. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ramarren said:

Check. :)

Not that I use HSS very much, or even a flash very much. The SF-40 seems a good match to the CL body. I'll probably get one eventually. 

G

I bought a new one on ebay and saved a hundred bucks.

15 minutes ago, cirke said:

and  ? with the CL you can confirm the limit of 1/250 ?

I'm not very flash savvy, but when I use it at ss faster than 1/250 and set on manual or on TTL it fires. Is that what you want to know?

2 hours ago, cirke said:

and  ? with the CL you can confirm the limit of 1/250 ?

1 hour ago, bags27 said:

I'm not very flash savvy, but when I use it at ss faster than 1/250 and set on manual or on TTL it fires. Is that what you want to know?

It should always fire, yes. :)

BUT: Is the whole frame illuminated without cut-off when you set, say, 1/500 or 1/1000 second? If so, then HSS actually does work. If you get a 2/3-exposed or 1/3-exposed frame at those two shutter speeds, then it doesn't actually do the HSS thing ... It just fires and whatever the open position of the shutter at that time records the flash exposure. 

Example ... using a simple non-dedicated flash unit on auto-flash for ISO 200, lens set to f/5.6...

1/250: 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1/500: 

1/1000: 

If the flash I used had HSS with the CL body, the flash tube would have pulsed for the duration of the shutter travel and caused all three to be exposed evenly across the frame, from top to bottom, the way the 1/250 second exposure was. 

(BTW: the deep vignetting you see in these exposures is because I just grabbed the camera with the 10mm lens on it. This Sunpak Auto 383 Super flash unit is designed to cover a 35mm FF lens's FoV and longer lenses without additional diffuser accessories. :) )

Edited by ramarren
  • Thanks 1

I tested the SF-40 flash with my CL and 18-56 lens at 26mm.

If you use Aperture-priority, the camera will always choose 1/60 shutter speed. 

I used Shutter-priority (the only way I could find to force the camera to use higher shutter speeds with the flash) and Auto ISO in TTL mode.  I don't really understand the algorithm that the SF-40 uses, but I tested all the way from 1/1000 to 1/8000 shutter speed (does anyone need more?), and it worked fine.

Here is the list of exposures made, which all looked exactly the same on my monitor:

1/1000, f/4.1, ISO 250

1/1250, f/4.1, ISO 320

1/2000, f/4.1, ISO 500

1/2500, f/4.1, ISO 500

1/3200, f/4.1, ISO 800

1/4000, f/4.1 ISO 800

1/5000, f/4.1, ISO 1000

1/6400, f/4.1, ISO 1250

1/8000, f/4.2, ISO 2000   This is the only shot for which the camera (slightly) changed the aperture.   All others stayed at 4.1 and only the ISO varied.

The photo posted is a completely unretouched JPEG file straight out of camera and it's the 1/8000 version at ISO 2000.   Please forgive the obviously un-artistic composition, a corner of my home office, but it's what was handy and it was kind of dark and I wanted to see how the flash would cover the frame (including into the attached bathroom).  Yes, it looks a little underexposed- all exposures looked this way.  Probably the camera's light meter was fooled to some degree, but you can definitely lift shadows and brightness in post and get a well-exposed final image.   Hope this helps.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by caigy

15 minutes ago, bags27 said:

right, sorry 🙂

the entire frame is visible when I fired at 1/800 in manual, but not in TTL. 

The person to ask in all this jaap, who has this same kit and is a lot smarter than I.

LOL! Don't worry about it, it's just a detail of operational behavior. jaapv may not ever have tested for HSS specifically. 

12 minutes ago, caigy said:

I tested the SF-40 flash with my CL and 18-56 lens at 26mm.

If you use Aperture-priority, the camera will always choose 1/60 shutter speed. 

I used Shutter-priority (the only way I could find to force the camera to use higher shutter speeds with the flash) and Auto ISO in TTL mode.  I don't really understand the algorithm that the SF-40 uses, but I tested all the way from 1/1000 to 1/8000 shutter speed (does anyone need more?), and it worked fine.

Here is the list of exposures made, which all looked exactly the same on my monitor:

1/1000, f/4.1, ISO 250

1/1250, f/4.1, ISO 320

1/2000, f/4.1, ISO 500

1/2500, f/4.1, ISO 500

1/3200, f/4.1, ISO 800

1/4000, f/4.1 ISO 800

1/5000, f/4.1, ISO 1000

1/6400, f/4.1, ISO 1250

1/8000, f/4.2, ISO 2000   This is the only shot for which the camera (slightly) changed the aperture.   All others stayed at 4.1 and only the ISO varied.

The photo posted is a completely unretouched JPEG file straight out of camera and it's the 1/8000 version at ISO 2000.   Please forgive the obviously un-artistic competition, a corner of my home office, but it's what was handy and it was kind of dark and I wanted to see how the flash would cover the frame (including into the attached bathroom).  Yes, it looks a little underexposed- all exposures looked this way.  Probably the camera's light meter was fooled to some degree, but you can definitely lift shadows and brightness in post and get a well-exposed final image.   Hope this helps.

Great, that indicates clearly that HSS on the CL with the SF-40 is supported. Alternatively, you could have set Manual mode and then just set a shutter speed and lens opening...  

I'll let the contact at Leica Store Miami know and point him to this thread.

Edited by ramarren

Was just thinking: 

Logic dictates that you can't do HSS with TTL mode because with TTL metering mode you have to be able read the whole scene while making the exposure to set the output level and make the exposure correct, whereas with HSS you have to set an output level before you start the shutter rolling and sustain it through the pass of the shutter slit. It's not possible to do both of these things at the same time. 

That's as far as my imagination goes in this direction... If some camera company says they can do HSS and TTL flash metering together, I'd have to see what they do to figure out how they do it. :)