yet another "which lens" thread- sorry!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, Jeff S said:

Zeiss makes quality lenses, albeit innately  high contrast, but I believe in sticking with native lenses, regardless the system.  The native lens line is a core reason for my choosing a system in the first place (along with viewing/focusing quality, ergonomics and handling and control interface).   But we each have different needs and preferences. It helps to have a clear idea what those are.

Jeff

while i fully intend to explore various native leica lenses, is there any particular reason you stick only to them? 

4 minutes ago, White Buffalo said:

while i fully intend to explore various native leica lenses, is there any particular reason you stick only to them? 

They invariably work best (in big and small ways), with the respective system, as the manufacturer designed.  And for Leica, it’s a core strength, especially for the M system, honed over many decades. Plus there are many fantastic choices and rendering alternatives ... no need to introduce more.  YMMV.

Jeff

Leica M is not through the lens viewing, so big lens may have side effect as hiding a good portion of the viewfinder.

When not M user can't imagine that hiding, wanting big finder blocking lens as only lens may be a bad choice.

I'm long time M user and loved big Noctilux, Summilux lenses but now I changed my view to better framing with lenses that don't hide  1/4

of the M viewfinder, and then I must imagine what was hiding to complete me framing.

7 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

Live view.

Visoflex EVF.

Sorry, JD

we are talking about the future M-A of White Buffalo, here.

So not option for EVF 😇 or LV

Zeiss/Leica lenses f/1.4 can hide a good portion of OVF in M-A.

So I insisted on the pre-asph. compact Summilux-M 1.4/35mm for his M-A.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Sorry, JD

we are talking about the future M-A of White Buffalo, here.

So not option for EVF 😇 or LV

I think you can look through the lens if you open the shutter and the back of the camera. 😊

• Haha 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Indeed, one of the amazing things about M lenses is that they are optically superb AND come in such a small package relative to their specs. Size is a big reason for the high cost; much harder to achieve.

This interview with Karbe, that I’ve linked  before, demonstrates the challenges using the 50 Summilux ASPH as an example....

https://www.shutterbug.com/content/leica-lens-saga-interview-peter-karbe

BTW, I still enjoy this lens.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Lately I have been using my 28mm Nikon 1.8G a great deal for up-close portrait work, utilizing the distortion for creative effect. Please see some examples here: https://imgur.com/a/h0ncks9

I would like to know if you guys can recommend a good wide angle lens by Leica which also has the ability to focus very close to the subject (within one foot or less of their face). The 28mm above I use around that distance (one foot), but would like to get a wider lens with more distortion since the effect is not prominent enough for my liking. Would a 21 or 24 be drastically more distorted or just a little bit? Also it doesn't have to be a super fast lens- 2.8 or even 3.5/4 is ok for this use for me. 

Perhaps the Super-Elmar 21 3.4 ASPH? Just not sure of focus distance. 

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Indeed, one of the amazing things about M lenses is that they are optically superb AND come in such a small package relative to their specs. Size is a big reason for the high cost; much harder to achieve.

This interview with Karbe, that I’ve linked  before, demonstrates the challenges using the 50 Summilux ASPH as an example....

https://www.shutterbug.com/content/leica-lens-saga-interview-peter-karbe

BTW, I still enjoy this lens.

Jeff

There's actually a Summilux 50 ASPH for sale locally (like new) for a pretty good price that I've been thinking about, but I've read some things about it being quite a dated design at this point due for an upgrade and I'd hate to get it only to have a newer version come out in the next month or so. I realize I shouldn't look at it this way as it'll always be a great lens regardless of whatever comes out... I'm also aware that whatever benefits an updated design would bring might be less apparent on film- iirc, most of the qualms with the Summi 50 were to do with its pairing to a digital sensor, which is irrelevant to me. Anyways, I'm quite actively considering it... Cool that it's APO and FLE as well. I'm also very intrigued by the expensive Cron 50 APO... anyways, several great recommendations have been made to me in this thread in recent posts (thank you, Arnaud), so I have plenty of homework to do... 

Edited by Guest

Super Angulon 21/3.4 minimum focus distance is a bit less than 0.4m/16”, Tri Elmar 16-18-21 will focus up to 0.5m/20”.

In any case, the rangefinder will disengage at about 0.7m, so scale focus for smaller distances.

SA 21/3.4 protrudes deeply inside the body and will not allow proper light metering on analog M bodies. 

1 minute ago, White Buffalo said:

There's actually a Summilux 50 ASPH for sale locally for a pretty good price (like new) that I've been thinking about, but I've read some things about it being quite a dated design at this point due for an upgrade and I'd hate to get it only to have a newer version come out in the next month or so. I realize I shouldn't look at it this way as it'll always be a great lens regardless of whatever comes out... Anyways, I'm quite actively considering it... Cool that it's APO and FLE as well. I'm also very intrigued by the expensive Cron 50 APO... anyways, several great recommendations have been made to me in this thread in recent posts (thank you, Arnaud), so I have plenty of homework to do... 

I couldn’t care less if a new version arrives.  Mine is limited only by me.  

But just to see what the fuss was about, I rented a 50 APO Summicron last year to compare.  Both are superb optically, but I preferred the Summilux ergonomically with its fully knurled focus ring and tighter aperture detents (which can be repaired, but a pain and all too common... same with 2 other dealer samples).  Much better to try and quickly move on than to survey others or analyze to death.  Just tools for a task.

Jeff

@White Buffalo -

JMHO, but it seems to me that you are way overthinking this decision. 

Prices seem to be a consideration, so decide what focal lengths you want/need and buy accordingly. 

You said you are not that big on using a 50mm lens.  Perhaps consider a 28mm or 35mm and a 90mm as your two starter lenses, since you use an 85mm Nikkor a lot.  The 35mm is a good all-around focal length for those who do not use a 50mm much.  The 35mm f/2.4 Summarit would be a lens to consider, as would the 35mm f/2 Summicron.

If you use a short tele a lot, maybe think about getting the APO 90mm f/2 Summicron ASPH.  It's not bargain priced, but it is a superb lens.  A lot of people will use a 28mm and a 90mm as a two lens kit.  If 90mm is one of your primary needs, think about the 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit to pair with the 90mm APO.

Whether you are buying an Elmarit, a Summarit, a Summicron, a Summilux or a Noctilux, you are not giving up image quality or lens quality with the less costly lenses.  You are simply trading lens speed for affordability. 

All current production M lenses offer spectacular craftsmanship, build, reliability and image quality.  The only question is how much lens speed are you willing or able to pay for?

13 minutes ago, ckuwajima said:

Super Angulon 21/3.4 minimum focus distance is a bit less than 0.4m/16”, Tri Elmar 16-18-21 will focus up to 0.5m/20”.

In any case, the rangefinder will disengage at about 0.7m, so scale focus for smaller distances.

SA 21/3.4 protrudes deeply inside the body and will not allow proper light metering on analog M bodies. 

With M-A no meter to worry about.

I have Super-Angulon 4/21 and 3.4/21 , results are nice on film, much better than on sensor.

Those old style S-A 21mm can not be duplicated by modern "retrofocus design", they are really unique.

When I use S-A 21mm to 40cm focus can be estimated, or sometimes I use kind of "calibrated cord marking every 10cm 40cm to 60cm" , M couple RF to 70cm only not nearer.

Maybe the OP refered to Super-Elmar-M 3.4/21 asph. that is modern 21mm (focus to 70cm), some people says the nicest 21mm.

13 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

With M-A no meter to worry about.

I have Super-Angulon 4/21 and 3.4/21 , results are nice on film, much better than on sensor.

Those old style S-A 21mm can not be duplicated by modern "retrofocus design", they are really unique.

SA 3.4/21 results on film, B&W or color, are very nice and unique indeed, I am very fond of it.

• Like 1

guys, can you please have a look at the summilux 50 1.4 asph i'm considering buying:

https://imgur.com/a/U1uZJ3t

i asked for the serial, which told me it's a 2011 model. would this have the apo as well as fle? the seller told me "leica nj told me summilux never come with apo or fle", yet all that i've read about these says that the asph in fact has all three things going for it; asph, fle, apo. 

just want to make sure a 2011 would be the latest/current spec. 

thanks. 

i think i will go this route as it's quite a good deal for a like-new lens with box and everything (works out to around $2650 usd). 

That's the latest lens. It has been the same since 2004. It has ASPH in the test on the lens. Although it definitely has a floating element and is rumoured to have APO correction, those items are not mentioned in the name. APO correction is generally associated with telephoto lenses where it is generally a problem. Nevertheless, this lens has the three things you are looking for; ASPH, FLE, APO.

On 8/26/2019 at 7:53 AM, White Buffalo said:

Lately I have been using my 28mm Nikon 1.8G a great deal for up-close portrait work, utilizing the distortion for creative effect. Please see some examples here: https://imgur.com/a/h0ncks9

I would like to know if you guys can recommend a good wide angle lens by Leica which also has the ability to focus very close to the subject (within one foot or less of their face). The 28mm above I use around that distance (one foot), but would like to get a wider lens with more distortion since the effect is not prominent enough for my liking. Would a 21 or 24 be drastically more distorted or just a little bit? Also it doesn't have to be a super fast lens- 2.8 or even 3.5/4 is ok for this use for me. 

Perhaps the Super-Elmar 21 3.4 ASPH? Just not sure of focus distance. 

I don't think you'll get anything as seamless and at close distance.  I know excatly what you mean, it was the same with me with the Nikon 20mm F1.8G and the Fujinon 16mm F1.4, both of which I now miss, particularly the Fuji.  Might have to consider a Sigma 24mm f1.4 to go with my DSLR because I just love those close wide angled fast aperture portraits. 

Edited by Ray Vonn

The Karbe interview I linked should tell you all you need to know, from the guy who designed it.

I would buy from a reputable Leica dealer with warranty.  Be sure the focus is smooth throughout the range; some samples can exhibit some sticky focus action. DAG fixed mine.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S