double_0_se7en

About to buy a summicron 35, need your advices

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

Currently I have the summicron 28 asph the latest version. I got a very good deal on a non 6 bit 35 summicron asph lens. It does not have the box, the caps and the papers and it is sold by the Leica store and CLAd at the factory in Wetzlar; but the friends at the store also mentioned that there is a small dust at the front element. So do you think that is it really necessary for me to get it? Some say that the non 6 bit asph 35 summicron is made for the film cameras and will not have the same results as the latest 6 bit 35 summicron which is made especially for the digital cameras ..  So do you think the 35 summicron has better capabilities at taking portraits than the 28 summicron? Is the 28 summicron a better lens than the 35 summicron as many think? If you can give me some advice on this I’ll really appricate .. 

IMHO it's just a different focal length. If you like 35 with a modern rendering, it is great.

I don't think there are practical differences between Summicron asph 35 from the pre-disgital and dgital era : it's the same lens, and the 6 bit coding can be added : for me it's now definitely MY 35... an excellent lens in any sense.  I don't have the Summicron 28.. but of course 28 and 35 are very different for portraits… and 28 is a sort of "risky focal" in this matter...

59 minutes ago, luigi bertolotti said:

[...] but of course 28 and 35 are very different for portraits… and 28 is a sort of "risky focal" in this matter...

Unlike one likes big noses that is :D. About digital vs pre-digital era lenses, LUF members complaining about the so-called focus shift of this lens had pre-digital samples if memory serves me well whereas the v1 i bought new with 6-bit coding in 2010 has no focus shift at all. Reason why i suspect calibration of film and digital copies may be different but i may be wrong.

The 35 summicron is great all around lens, thats including portrait

not that it is a better lens but more for a better focal length compared to 28mm

Kaan, my suggestion to you would be (as a person who uses close focal lens setup like 35/50), to get a 50mm lens, especially if you are looking for portrait shots. With 35, it is difficult to fill the frame with should/head shot, you’ll be looking for 3/4 of the body, good if that’s your thing. However a 28/50 setup will give you a good separation to try different things.

speaking of film digital lenses, if a lens construction is the same, there cannot be any difference. Also if you don’t print big and large, hardly you’ll see those minute differences.

with 35, you can have a single lens setup and sell your 28. It will be a compromise between 28 and 50, in my honest opinion.

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 hours ago, double_0_se7en said:

Hi,

the latest 6 bit 35 summicron which is made especially for the digital cameras ..  

Not really.....

Optically the current 35mm f2 ASPH has been around since the later 1990’s when film Leica M’s were all you could buy, far from any “made for digital” designs. The current version II only differs in the aperture mechanism design and, of course, the new type hood.

The 35mm f2 ASPH was the first new Leica lens I ever purchased in 1997......$1,495 was the price. I also recall at that time the 50mm f2 (still current non-APO) being the only Leica M lens, at $995, still (barely) available new for less than $1,000. How times have changed......

Edited by Gregm61

6 hours ago, Gregm61 said:

Not really.....

Optically the current 35mm f2 ASPH has been around since the later 1990’s when film Leica M’s were all you could buy, far from any “made for digital” designs. The current version II only differs in the aperture mechanism design and, of course, the new type hood.

The 35mm f2 ASPH was the first new Leica lens I ever purchased in 1997......$1,495 was the price. I also recall at that time the 50mm f2 (still current non-APO) being the only Leica M lens, at $995, still (barely) available new for less than $1,000. How times have changed......

+1

If you can get it for a good price, buy it! It's a very sharp lens also on digital Ms. I recall reading a discussion on some forum back in the film days about whether this lens was too sharp and had too much microcontrast, compared to the v4 non-asph cron. No need to start that discussion again 😀

The small speck of dust will not be visible in your pictures.

I have found 35mm to be a very "natural" focal length on an M. Maybe even more so than the generally perceived "standard" focal length of 50mm.

On 8/27/2019 at 12:27 PM, mujk said:

If you can get it for a good price, buy it! It's a very sharp lens also on digital Ms. I recall reading a discussion on some forum back in the film days about whether this lens was too sharp and had too much microcontrast, compared to the v4 non-asph cron. No need to start that discussion again 😀

The small speck of dust will not be visible in your pictures.

I have found 35mm to be a very "natural" focal length on an M. Maybe even more so than the generally perceived "standard" focal length of 50mm.

Back in the film days forum? Like Yahoo message boards? What is the point to repeat this old myth again? :)

These days of the post Netscape internet why not just see it and decide for yourself?

https://www.flickr.com/search/?group_id=1316391%40N21&view_all=1&text=Leica M6

If I would have enough money, I'll get this lens over my Summarit 35 ASPH. On my M4-2.

Remember film is not for scans for prints. I never seen too sharp lens for the prints...

BTW, by any chance have you ever been at Qualitron, Lego office in Espoo? 

Posted (edited)

Let alone that sharper grains may look more natural in 35mm than 50mm ;). Just kidding but this reminds me of the photo lab i was using in the film days. They used to say that my Leica negatives were so sharp that they could recognize them just by running the finger over them. With asph lenses they would fear of scratching it i guess :D

Edited by lct