CL for trip to Morocco?

eab

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The CL will be just fine. If time allows plan for a full day trip to the Atlas mountains. There are plenty of interesting and colorful street scenes in the cities but bear in mind that most locals do not appreciate their pictures being taken. For street a discrete camera can be useful and the CL with the CV 15mm zone focused could be the ticket for some nice shots.

M9 & 24 Elmarit in Marrakesh:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ecaton said:

The CL will be just fine. If time allows plan for a full day trip to the Atlas mountains. There are plenty of interesting and colorful street scenes in the cities but bear in mind that most locals do not appreciate their pictures being taken. For street a discrete camera can be useful and the CL with the CV 15mm zone focused could be the ticket for some nice shots.

M9 & 24 Elmarit in Marrakesh:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I politely asked and gave a woman some money to take photo's of her feet covered in henna. I also did the same with some kids in cambodia. I wonder if that's common or a no no. But I agree. Discretion will be of upmost importance. Muslims think you steal their soul when you snap a photo, I was told. 

Not that simple:

https://islam.stackexchange.com/questions/869/is-drawing-or-photographing-people-prohibited-in-islam

There are pros and cons to giving money. On one side it is a friendly gesture, on the other it promotes the hounding of tourists. Personally I never do it, preferring not to take the photograph.

• Like 3

I've done it twice in my life. And frankly, the snaps weren't really worth it. Haven't done it since. But I proceeded carefully each time, and made sure I was respectful. But if we are going to be respectful, shooting street scenes, or street photography, also carries moral implications. I sometimes call it guerrilla portraiture. Although in the US you don't have an expectation of privacy in public, it still is an invasion. 

The eternal dilemma for photographers - to give $ or not......

When I was in Myanmar with a local guide, his opinion was not to give money to the local children as they could end up earning more money from tourists than their parents working and that would upset the whole social balance (e.g. the parents might decide not to let their children go to school but to earn tourist tips instead). He preferred to bring gifts not offered as a contractual bargain for photos but he would go politely ask if it's ok to take photos and when everything was done, he would thank them by giving them cold mandarins. People were always appreciative of the respect, politeness and thoughtfulness.

My personal method is to bring a fuji mini instax camera and take photos of them to give to them - the wonder and smiles I get in return are priceless. In my experience all peoples(whatever culture and economic situation) always light up when you give them an instant photo - from Paris to Myanmar. Again, I don't bargain with them - I merely approach anyone respectfully to take their photo and after that ask if they want an instant photo. It works as a joyful fair and equal exchange.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, g2van said:

The eternal dilemma for photographers - to give $ or not......

When I was in Myanmar with a local guide, his opinion was not to give money to the local children as they could end up earning more money from tourists than their parents working and that would upset the whole social balance (e.g. the parents might decide not to let their children go to school but to earn tourist tips instead). He preferred to bring gifts not offered as a contractual bargain for photos but he would go politely ask if it's ok to take photos and when everything was done, he would thank them by giving them cold mandarins. People were always appreciative of the respect, politeness and thoughtfulness.

My personal method is to bring a fuji mini instax camera and take photos of them to give to them - the wonder and smiles I get in return are priceless. In my experience all peoples(whatever culture and economic situation) always light up when you give them an instant photo - from Paris to Myanmar. Again, I don't bargain with them - I merely approach anyone respectfully to take their photo and after that ask if they want an instant photo. It works as a joyful fair and equal exchange.

Yes! For several trips in Africa we carried a battery-operated printer that would produce snaps from our SD card. It finally broke and I've been meaning to update it. What I would do is take a photo of someone willing, or even my wife, then print out the image. After that EVERYONE wanted to be photographed.