APO Telyt R Modular System … listed in London

dkCambridgeshire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just seen an APO Telyt R Modular 280-800mm lens listed in London for £15.5K comprising: 

• Leica R Module Kit: 280/400/560 and 400/560/800 APO-TELYT-R, focus module f2.8/280/400, f5.6/560/800, 1.4X and 2X APO-Extender-R

… Thus following combinations possible:  280/2.8, 400/2.8, 560/5.6, 800/5.6. 1120/11, 1600/11 … plus a few others which 'overlap'  

And , if two tripods used with stacked 1.4x and 2x APO extenders:  2240/15.4 … which might seem a little extreme but experienced astro photographers would not have a problem supporting the lenses if using an astronomical tripod/pillar

£15.5K / 6 = £2583 for each combination … which seems ££reasonable … and, £15.5K / 7 = £2214 for each provided a heavy duty support used for the 2240/15.4  

Currently a little outside my budget.

I'll have to 'make do' with my Telyt R 560/6.8 and 2x APO R :) 

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/299884-male-azure-damselfly-with-caddis-fly-prey/?do=findComment&comment=3790261

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
typo
  • Like 1

That sounds like both heads and the 1x and 2x focussing units, so those are the focal lengths possible excluding APO extenders.  The two heads plus 1.4x unit adds 400/4 and 560/4....

I shot the January eclipse with the APO 800/5.6 and M(240), the required shutter speed was too long to really freeze the planets ( I has shooting 3 seconds wide open at 1600ISO)

john

• Thanks 2

^^^ not a problem if using a guided astronomical mount … or a Panasonic S1 which has a usable high ISO capability e.g. ISO 12800 … which would reduce required shutter speed to c.0.3 second 

dunk 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb dkCambridgeshire:

Just seen an APO Telyt R Modular 280-800mm lens listed in London for £15.5K comprising: 

• Leica R Module Kit: 280/400/560 and 400/560/800 APO-TELYT-R, focus module f2.8/280/400, f5.6/560/800, 1.4X and 2X APO-Extender-R

… Thus following combinations possible:  280/2.8, 400/2.8, 560/5.6, 800/5.6. 1120/11, 1600/11 … plus a few others which 'overlap'  

And , if two tripods used with stacked 1.4x and 2x APO extenders:  2240/15.4 … which might seem a little extreme but experienced astro photographers would not have a problem supporting the lenses if using an astronomical tripod/pillar

£15.5K / 6 = £2583 for each combination … which seems ££reasonable … and, £15.5K / 7 = £2214 for each provided a heavy duty support used for the 2240/15.4  

Currently a little outside my budget.

I'll have to 'make do' with my Telyt R 560/6.8 and 2x APO R :) 

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/299884-male-azure-damselfly-with-caddis-fly-prey/?do=findComment&comment=3790261

dunk 

Out of curiosity, where did you see this listed? - Matti 

vor 24 Minuten schrieb dkCambridgeshire:

^^^ Aperture Photographic 

dunk 

Thanks!

Not an unreasonable price for this wonderful set but whether it is reasonable to own it is another question :) 

A win in a lottery or something similar would be required for financing... 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The lens has just one missing attribute … AF :) 

For less ££ it's possible to buy a Canon or Nikon 800mm AF lens which likely have equal performance

And the M4/3 PanaLeica 100-400 is only a 1/3 stop slower 

But, the Apo Telyt R modular has charisma  … it's a charismatic dinosaur 

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/800mm_f/5.6_APO-Telyt-R_Module

dunk 

vor 3 Stunden schrieb dkCambridgeshire:

The lens has just one missing attribute … AF :) 

For less ££ it's possible to buy a Canon or Nikon 800mm AF lens which likely have equal performance

And the M4/3 PanaLeica 100-400 is only a 1/3 stop slower 

But, the Apo Telyt R modular has charisma  … it's a charismatic dinosaur 

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/800mm_f/5.6_APO-Telyt-R_Module

dunk 

...and an elegant dinosaur, I would say. 😉

• Like 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The red Moon of July 2018, taken with my own dinosaur 😉

(800 mm modul on a SL)

• Like 2

And my efforts, M(240) with 800 APO Telyt

• Like 2

On 8/25/2019 at 6:46 PM, John McMaster said:

And my efforts, M(240) with 800 APO Telyt

Please excuse my ignorance but what's the black mark on the moon in the second picture, which doesn't appear on the moon in the first picture?

Pete.

• 1 month later...

I have been very pleasantly surprised how acceptable the Leica 500MR Telyt is. My expectations were quite low and yes it does have weird doughnut shaped bokeh but on the plus side, it has next to no chromatic aberration and thus works reasonably well with my APO 2X Extender. I would have said its resolution is at least equal to and maybe a tad better than my far longer Modular Tele-Tessar outfit. When that lens is used at 1200mm (f16), there is an awful lot of glass between the camera and the subject, I think it is 22 or 23 elements. 

Wilson

• 5 weeks later...

It's too bad the 1.4x module is missing, as the 400/4 is the best combination optically, and the 580/4 is also a useful configuration.

I use mine on my Nikon Z6 and with focus peaking and great high ISO performance, they are easier to use than they ever were with my R8.

Nikon Z6, 560mm/5.6 APO

• Like 2