rumors SL2 with 36MP sensor only

nicci78

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For the love of photography and everything good in the world, Leica please don't compete with megapixels and even if you up the resolution keep the width and height even numbers like 6000x4000.

If anything needs to be upgraded to SL it'd be one more scroll wheel for ISO so all the controls are manual and if one can dream, work on the dynamic range and the quality of the grain.

I love to shoot Q and SL at higher ISOs because of the beautiful film like grain but I do hate the stripes that the sensor sometimes gives when pushed.

• Thanks 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb nicci78:

Could be the new Sony Sensor

When A7 IV and A9 II will be released with 36MP as Sony’s lower MP count. 24MP cameras will look lame. 

That can explained why Leica waited one more year before releasing SL2

A9 II and A7 IV will have an OLPF, no good. A7S III sensor with SL lenses would be some photographers’ wet-dream come true. Sony usually doesn’t offer their image sensors customized and Leica requires this for support of M and legacy lenses. So, this is very far fetched speculation. Fun to engage in it, though. 

Edited by Chaemono

Just repurchased a SL + 24-90 set for a smoking deal of $5,200, so I won't be upgrading for a while but I got the popcorn ready to follow the SL2 release closely.

Like I said earlier, a slightly smaller body, PDAF, and no LENR (in that order) is what I'd like to see. IBIS would be nice too, but not at the expense of a bigger body.

• Like 1

@Chaemono Sony offered every sensor customized. They bought years ago Toshiba sensor activity for this purpose. 

All Nikon sensors are customized. 

Fuji X-Trans are Sony sensor customized also. 

SL2 will be slightly smaller only. But design wise, it will different. Too many customers complained about actual sharp edges and straight hand grip. I hope for a small S body look alike. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Inferior pixels that are aided by algos. But the algos can’t always compensate well enough. Better pixels than more, please. It could be an issue from a marketing perspective for sure.

Totally agree.

I'm often astonished by just how good the previous generation of 24MP L-sensors can be under the right conditions.  36-40MP with a lower true base iso and an extra stop of range would be more than I likely ever need.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, caissa said:

Yes, 36 sounds a bit lowish for 2020. The camera will certainly not be available this year for the masses. But it is an opportunity to save money .... (and omit this camera)     The only problem I see, if sale numbers are too low, then there is maybe no SL3 anymore ...

So if 36mp is 4 years old, and 47mp is 2020, is it an exponential or linear progression? If Leica doesn't have 40Gp by 2030, is that the end of photography? I'm worried by how my grandchildren will perceive me with still on 24mp.

Confused, please help me.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

Totally agree.

I'm often astonished by just how good the previous generation of 24MP L-sensors can be under the right conditions.  36-40MP with a lower true base iso and an extra stop of range would be more than I likely ever need.

Don't worry, 24 MP will be rubbish as soon as a higher MP SL2 comes out. :lol:No matter that the increase in linear resolution  between 24 and 36 is so marginal as to be invisible in real life.

• Like 1

vor 24 Minuten schrieb hillavoider:

Then why have Leica spent the last 5 years making lenses big and huge to handle 100 mega pickles LOL 😆 🤪🙄

Maybe because legacy lenses don’t play well with 100 MPx. A second 100 MPx body in the future perhaps, the Leica C-M? And we know now what C stands for. 

6 hours ago, nicci78 said:

That can explained why Leica waited one more year before releasing SL2

The SL2, If announced in next month or two, will be four years from the initial launch.  This is the same 4 year time frame as the last few major M upgrades, as well as all the S models, assuming the S3 arrives soon.  Not exactly a year’s delay; more like a solid trend.

Jeff

16 hours ago, Agent M10 said:

I think I read somewhere that Leica has a tele-converter. They call it the CL.

That's what I use with an R 80-200 + 2x APO extender, but it lacks weatherproofing, autofocus, or any in-camera stabilization. And the only autofocus currently would be with the L 90-280, and 420 is hardly sufficient reach. We all pray for a Sigma Art lens, which still leaves the CL's own limitations. In the end, birding with a Leica always involves compromise that some are just unwilling to accept. 

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

The SL2, If announced in next month or two, will be four years from the initial launch.  This is the same 4 year time frame as the last few major M upgrades, as well as all the S models, assuming the S3 arrives soon.  Not exactly a year’s delay; more like a solid trend.

Jeff

It was a new version of every camera lines every 3 years before the M10, Q2 and now SL2 new 4 years span. 

M8 2006 -> M9 2009 -> M 240 2012

T 2014 -> TL2 2017

S2 2009 -> S 006 2012 -> S 007 2015

X1 2009 -> X2 2012 -> X 113 2014 (actually 2.5 years later in this case) 

vor 4 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

Don't worry, 24 MP will be rubbish as soon as a higher MP SL2 comes out. :lol:No matter that the increase in linear resolution  between 24 and 36 is so marginal as to be invisible in real life.

Indeed.

If you wan't to double the resolution of the current SL, you need 100Mpx.

Remember: as long as you don't crop and look at the whole picture, not just a part of it, 16Mpx is already fine. Except you've got eagle eyes......

1 minute ago, Agent M10 said:

But when has Leica ever used Sony for FF?

They used Sony sensor for every APS-C since 2009. What stops them from using the 24x36 one ? Everything is possible. Because there is an existing relationship between them. 

By the way Panasonic S1 24MP sensor is made by Sony. 

• Thanks 1