White balance settings when using ND filters

Advertisement (gone after registration)

34 minutes ago, andybarton said:

If you really need one you could call Wilkinson’s in Preston to see if they have one in stock and drive there to pick it up. Ditto Leica Manchester 

Or any camera dealer in the NW

All open today

Cheers Andy. 

When I get back to the hotel I will search camera shooed in the Lake District and like you said drive to them and pick it up. I’m heading to the LD on Monday 

cheers 

neil

2 hours ago, NW67 said:

Problem not solved.......... how do I get a 486 delivered on Monday in the UK when it’s a bank holiday?

neil

Well, most of us get decent photographs without using an ND filter. For the type of photography you are posting on the forum, the results would be better without it. Use your new Q2, or your M10 naked.

My advice would be experimenting with the use of the filters when you get home and enjoying your holiday right now.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, NW67 said:

Cheers Andy. 

When I get back to the hotel I will search camera shooed in the Lake District and like you said drive to them and pick it up. I’m heading to the LD on Monday 

cheers 

neil

You’ll be very lucky to find one. The LD isn’t that kind of place. 

Plenty of shops to sell you boots though. 

34 minutes ago, andybarton said:

If you really need one you could call Wilkinson’s in Preston to see if they have one in stock and drive there to pick it up. Ditto Leica Manchester 

Or any camera dealer in the NW

All open today

Cheers Andy. 

cheers 

neil

53 minutes ago, jaapv said:

My advice would be experimenting with the use of the filters when you get home and enjoying your holiday right now.

Aye you’re probably right Jaapv 

funny I hardly used the Q2 in Scotland. I will use it more in the LD

eil

2 minutes ago, andybarton said:

Andy I wouldn’t go  anywhere near Edinburgh driving from Dundee to LD. 

I will just do what I do best and that is improvise with what I got and go and take some amazing pictures 😀😀

Neil

On 8/22/2019 at 9:56 AM, NW67 said:

I’ve noticed that when using a 10 stop BW filter on my Noctilux 095 the picture is considerably warmer than without the filter both shot at auto WB. Not sure if the problem is with the Auto who’re balance or a crappy filfer 

neil

I think it's a matter of the spectral absorption of the filter outside the range of visible light.

My tests with a 10 stop B+W ND filter showed that it is virtually transparent to near-IR, which influences long digital exposures more than you might think with long exposures although not so much as with the more normal range of exposures shorter than 1 second. Other ND filters I tested are less transparent to near-IR and give more balanced exposures in the long range when shooting.

The IR component influences both total exposure and white balance. 

34 minutes ago, ramarren said:

I think it's a matter of the spectral absorption of the filter outside the range of visible light.

My tests with a 10 stop B+W ND filter showed that it is virtually transparent to near-IR, which influences long digital exposures more than you might think with long exposures although not so much as with the more normal range of exposures shorter than 1 second. Other ND filters I tested are less transparent to near-IR and give more balanced exposures in the long range when shooting.

The IR component influences both total exposure and white balance. 

Thanks for the confirmation :)

9 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Neil,

that sounds reasonable to me.

Best Regards,

Michael

Micheal  the problem I have is if I change the filters to 60mm theIR will ne off again.. I think the best was to parochial this is to change to the q2 and forfebt abour thevnaughtylux

neol

1 minute ago, NW67 said:

Micheal  the problem I have is if I change the filters to 60mm theIR will ne off again.. I think the best was to parochial this is to change to the q2 and forfebt abour thevnaughtylux

neol

Hello Neil,

Well, that would certainly make things lighter & easier to carry around. Is that an important consideration for you?

Best Regards,

Michael