would you...?

nwphil

Advertisement (gone after registration)

😉 Noctilux is so unique that even between f/1.0 and f/0.95 they are different,

worse yet one can not replace the other one,

so many people prefer f/0.95 while other (...can be same people ! ) prefer f/1.0 or f/1.25 in 75mm lens.

No other lens can do same thing (=give same fingerprint) as one of the Noctilux (50mm in 0.95/1.0 and 75mm at f/1.25 ).

Only way to know is using it (them) to judge that oneself.

Just do it

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 6:38 PM, nwphil said:

So, if you were considering become a single lens use with the M, would you really go this route and grab a noctilux (50mm)?

I'm afraid not sorry. I dislike big lenses on compact bodies and i don't recall having missed a shot for lack of light with a 50/1.4. Also i hate portraits with one eye sharp and the other soft but YMMV :cool:. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One benefit with the Noctilux is that you can photograph from a slightly longer distance and still have a good portion of background blur. In a way it behaves like a longer telephoto lens, while you still can have the perspective from a shorter lens. I think this makes the Noctilux very versatile. 

• Like 2

@nwphil

Phil,

I can only relate my own experience and hope it is of some use to you.

Around 20years ago I managed to afford a 50/1.4 Summilux asph and it quickly became the lens that you would need to pry out of my cold, dead hands to take it from me.  Every time I thought about a f/1 Noctilux (no f/0.95 then) or saw its alluring pictures I convinced myself that there was no convincing reason to own one for all the valid reasons that others have expressed here.

Eventually after some years the pull became too strong - for no reason that I can or could rationally explain - and I traded lenses and a body to acquire one.  It has since become my 'cold, dead hands' lens and the 50/1.4 Summilux asph is being loved by another owner.  The Noctilux is not my only lens, nor would it ever be, but it offers me pictures that no other lens can offer. I tried the f/0.95 Noctilux in parallel for six months but released it back into the wild because, although it's an astounding technical marvel, its pictures don't contain the character that the f/1's pictures have baked into them.  

My taste in pictures has matured since I had had the Summilux and a certain amount of character in a lens is preferable to me than a 100% aberration corrected 'reference' lens that is scalpel sharp, vignette-free, and distortionless but I feel sure that many won't share my view.  The f/1 Noctilux can be a harsh mistress and if I haven't used her for a little while it takes a little time before I'm comfortably nailing focus wide open (although that might have a little to do with wearing varifocal/progressive glasses), and I wouldn't consider the Noctilux to be a one lens kit.

I hope the above is helpful to you.

Pete.

• Like 7

There are few other lenses in the entire history of photographic lenses that generate as much polarised opinion as the Noctilux does.  The thing is, every Leica M user who has ever spared a few seconds considering Noctilux ownership should stop wasting everyone's time and just get on with it. 

From that point on, you'll fall into one of two camps.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, evikne said:

One benefit with the Noctilux is that you can photograph from a slightly longer distance and still have a good portion of background blur. In a way it behaves like a longer telephoto lens, while you still can have the perspective from a shorter lens. I think this makes the Noctilux very versatile. 

Indeed you can. Here's a shot I quickly grabbed off to the side when another photographer was photographing a wedding couple in Florence. Even from a distance the background is blurred nicely. Shot @ f0.95 w/3-stop ND filter.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

There are few other lenses in the entire history of photographic lenses that generate as much polarised opinion as the Noctilux does.  The thing is, every Leica M user who has ever spared a few seconds considering Noctilux ownership should stop wasting everyone's time and just get on with it. 

From that point on, you'll fall into one of two camps.....

valid point, but first of all I don't consider that anyone wasted their time on me, but I get the gist :). It's not looking for a validation of worst asking someone to make the decision for me; still is a chunk of money, a very specialized lens...and yet another lens to the pile. The thread has been diverting a bit about both models,which is ok, and has been providing great info and insights.  The debate about which one...well, another story.

and yet, despite which camp I will fall (I assume you are talking about 1.0 vs 0,95), I will like either;  don't really need to sell the other lenses, but debating more if I should keep them and processing the reasons to keep them.

Thanks

46 minutes ago, nwphil said:

and yet, despite which camp I will fall (I assume you are talking about 1.0 vs 0,95)

I interpret it as: "any Noctilux vs. no Noctilux at all". 

… To Noctilux or not to Noctilux, that is the question. 😊

• Like 2

Let's see thing as equations 😉

- your want need = Noctilux

-  you don't have money = let it there or later

or you can afford it = just do it

a while after spending this big money for Noctilux, second hand is better , you'll know why when you want to sell

- not to keep it = sell with small lost = Noctilux lenses keep their value for a while

- if it pleases you = all is good again = happy beginning of new life with Noctilux

• Like 1

3 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Let's see thing as equations 😉

- your want need = Noctilux

-  you don't have money = let it there or later

or you can afford it = just do it

a while after spending this big money for Noctilux, second hand is better , you'll know why when you want to sell

- not to keep it = sell with small lost = Noctilux lenses keep their value for a while

- if it pleases you = all is good again = happy beginning of new life with Noctilux

good advice.

The starting point is many Leica owners hit the crossroads of whether or not to get a Noctilux. Some decide very quickly one way, many don't find it that easy. So you are "normal".

I believe that with M lenses, if you are patient in selling/buying, you won't lose that much money (unless you bought all brand new). So if you are always pre-occupied with the Noctilux thoughts, go try one. Sell all your existing lenses - they are easily found on the used market. Down the road, if you don't like the Noct, sell it and get back some of your old lenses. 

I have the Noct 1.0 and never seriously thought about the 0.95 because it was just beyond the size/weight line for me. When I got the 1.0, it was within my limit and every time  I try it next to my friend's 0.95, I'm still glad I stuck to the 1.0.  But the main reason I got and kept the 1.0 was because the rendering/signature look was what I preferred over the 0.95.

Better yet, keep the Noct and then as spare gear money becomes available, slowly buy those other focal lengths you like. My lens accumulation is based on best for my favourite focal length and the peripheral I am happy to settle for something less - I love 35 and 50 so I have an FLE, pre-asph Lux for the 35 and the 1.0 for the 50 while for 21 I'm happy to have the CV 21/4 and at 90, the tele-elmarit.  So down the road if you want other focal lengths, you can go for 35 cron v3 (instead of v4), Voigt 35/2, or 7artisans 35/2 etc.

Also the Noct 1.0 will most likely keep appreciating in value and that builds your gear net worth, if that's important.

The beauty of owning Leica gear is that it's relatively liquid and lots of choices are available. So any major decision isn't cast in concrete. It's easy to go back to what you had or a mixture and down the road, you WILL have other ideas regarding your lens line-up. 

13 minutes ago, g2van said:

The starting point is many Leica owners hit the crossroads of whether or not to get a Noctilux. Some decide very quickly one way, many don't find it that easy. So you are "normal".

I believe that with M lenses, if you are patient in selling/buying, you won't lose that much money (unless you bought all brand new). So if you are always pre-occupied with the Noctilux thoughts, go try one. Sell all your existing lenses - they are easily found on the used market. Down the road, if you don't like the Noct, sell it and get back some of your old lenses. 

I have the Noct 1.0 and never seriously thought about the 0.95 because it was just beyond the size/weight line for me. When I got the 1.0, it was within my limit and every time  I try it next to my friend's 0.95, I'm still glad I stuck to the 1.0.  But the main reason I got and kept the 1.0 was because the rendering/signature look was what I preferred over the 0.95.

Better yet, keep the Noct and then as spare gear money becomes available, slowly buy those other focal lengths you like. My lens accumulation is based on best for my favourite focal length and the peripheral I am happy to settle for something less - I love 35 and 50 so I have an FLE, pre-asph Lux for the 35 and the 1.0 for the 50 while for 21 I'm happy to have the CV 21/4 and at 90, the tele-elmarit.  So down the road if you want other focal lengths, you can go for 35 cron v3 (instead of v4), Voigt 35/2, or 7artisans 35/2 etc.

Also the Noct 1.0 will most likely keep appreciating in value and that builds your gear net worth, if that's important.

The beauty of owning Leica gear is that it's relatively liquid and lots of choices are available. So any major decision isn't cast in concrete. It's easy to go back to what you had or a mixture and down the road, you WILL have other ideas regarding your lens line-up. 

I am not going to sell the lenses, at least not for now - really don't have to do it, unless I decide to do a drastic downsizing/cleanup.Been finding my self spending too much time revising/resizing  which kit to take when going out, and yes, the Leica does go on day hikes or backpacking trips once in a while - hence willing to hold to the kit. But as same time, is not forcing to get out of my comfort zone and be more creative and explore in a different way.

Thanks for your input

Thank you everyone to listen to my ramblings and taking time to provide insights and feedback. Looking at some of you posted pictures on some threads ( in special the " Show us your Noctilux wide open shots') just reinforced my resolute of acquiring a Noct

Selling the current kit is now a placed aside idea, sort of frozen till further notice. Not that I intent to change the lineup, but really there is no need to get ride of them either.

The thing is, I like the rendering on both Noctilux - no, I won't get two LOL, and yes, it's not that I have to remain stuck to either choice.

So, first I need to relax a bit and enjoy upcoming vacations and then will chase down one

Regards,

Phillip

• 5 weeks later...

$4,999 for a lux f/1 v3

already tagged withe seller, but still working numbers.....

" Leica Noctilux 50/f1 lens E60 made in Canada.
The lens presents some used marks on the body, letters are a bit fading out, glass is super clean, no scratches, haze or fungus, the blades have few marks but also clean.
Comes with both original caps, original snap on hood and one lens case..

should I be worried with that oil residue on blades? does it warrant a lower price, or it's about fair for condition?

thanks for feedback

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

22 minutes ago, lct said:

Does the seller accept returns?

Did not ask, but he has a good solid reputation as seller and forum user - 252 positive since 2010

what would be the justification for a return? ( not liking the rendering is not really one IMO, as he is not a testing/renting facilitator)

Edited by nwphil

56 minutes ago, nwphil said:

Did not ask, but he has a good solid reputation as seller and forum user - 252 positive since 2010

what would be the justification for a return? ( not liking the rendering is not really one IMO, as he is not a testing/renting facilitator)

Too much oil on the blades for instance. I never buy to people refusing returns personally, let alone at that price level. But perhaps you are covered by some e**y or paypal guarantee i don't know. Otherwise this lawyer would not accept a description like "blades have some marks too but also clean" in case of oil on the blades. FWIW.

• Thanks 1

It's nice that the chandelier is perfectly in focus even if nothing else is.  It makes it difficult to tell whether its oil, oil plus dust, or perhaps even just wear on the blades.

I agree with LCT; I wouldn't be interested if the seller doesn't accept returns particularly with the description you've included with the picture where something doesn't quite tally.

Pete.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, lct said:

Too much oil on the blades for instance. I never buy to people refusing returns personally, let alone at that price level. But perhaps you are covered by some e**y or paypal guarantee i don't know. Otherwise this lawyer would not accept a description like "blades have some marks too but also clean" in case of oil on the blades. FWIW.

not an expert but indeed the "marks' look more like oil than just wear.....could be a +/- $150 CLC at places like DAG, if indeed is the only issue (aside of off on the estimate)

PP and Amex always served me well - but nothing beats an honest man word. Yeah, I am bit apprehensive with description. Seller it's borderline a flipper/reseller, but not the highest volume I ever see, and that also does not change the facts/evidence :)

probably that's why he's not having any interest despite being lowering the price in that couple weeks.

Thanks