would you...?

nwphil

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Phil,

It's too late!  The noctilux is under your skin, it's in your head! You lust for it. It will not leave you alone.

You cannot steer clear of Scylla and Charybdis. It's over!  

Should it be your only lens? Not so sure about that, but if you love shallow depth of field you will be enamored with it. Of all the photos I have snapped as a hobbyist, I always come back again and again to look at those from the Noctilux.  

(Buy it pre-owned for the right price and you'll not likely lose any money).

Good luck with your decision. 

Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ropo54 said:

Phil,

It's too late!  The noctilux is under your skin, it's in your head! You lust for it. It will not leave you alone.

You cannot steer clear of Scylla and Charybdis. It's over!  

Should it be your only lens? Not so sure about that, but if you love shallow depth of field you will be enamored with it. Of all the photos I have snapped as a hobbyist, I always come back again and again to look at those from the Noctilux.  

(Buy it pre-owned for the right price and you'll not likely lose any money).

Good luck with your decision. 

Rob

Thanks Rob - "putting out fire with gasoline" uh? 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Sam said:

Sell a kidney if you have, but get it. You know you're not going to rest until you do.

Renting first is an excellent option but it's money you could be putting toward your dream lens.

I have walked with one on an M240 during many weeks of travel, so I know very well what it's like carrying the beast. And it's a cannonball on an M.  Large and heavy lenses on my Canon 5DMIV feel less heavy, and it could be because the camera body w/grip is so large and they balance better. The Noctilux 0.95 on an M feels heavy and unbalanced, but it's the price you pay for the magical photos it delivers. You have 2 kidneys anyway.

Don't forget you'll need a 3-stop ND filter for shooting @ f0.95 during bright days. Figure that cost into the equation.

I use the Rock N Roll strap made with 50 or 60 individual pieces of leather (sorry I forgot the model) and its springy/stretchy action lessons the load and makes for as comfortable carry as you're going to get. I would not like to carry the Nocti on a rigid strap.

It's an art lens and it's definitely not for everyone. Your hit rate goes way down @ f0.95, and I got best results with a EVF, although they are painfully slow on the M240. On my M10 focus accuracy is better and I can get good results @ f0.95, but if I *really* want to be sure I will nail it, I'll use an EVF.

can't sell a kidney - like too much red wine, brandy and lately TOS bourbons....all in moderation mind you.

I have several nd's of different sizes - don't ask how much 86mm cpls and nd cost.....

I do like R&R straps - have two actually. Yes, aside of surprisingly comfortable, that leather smell is another treat

yes, it will - was not great with the nokton, and even at 1.4 you can not cough....

I think the novelty of shooting everything at f0.95 will wear off quicker than the desire to walk around everywhere with a 700 g lens on your camera. You can achieve a similar depth of field with a smaller, cheaper and longer lens if your 90 mm can't already do it.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mark T said:

I think the novelty of shooting everything at f0.95 will wear off quicker than the desire to walk around everywhere with a 700 g lens on your camera. You can achieve a similar depth of field with a smaller, cheaper and longer lens if your 90 mm can't already do it.

Thanks Mark - it is indeed a good point, and probably the reason some people ended selling their noctilux after a short time. For some might have been the lure of lens itself, or the street photography thing. For the last, many would say (with way more experience than me) the noc is not the best choice, but ofcourse it can used; so expectations can just go in fumes very fast

The weight thing is indeed quantifiable, and different people will have different tolerances. In my case, I have hiked and backpacked with a 1Dx with a 16-35mm or 24-105 attached, in a sling over my shoulders. I have walked around with the otus 28 too, and altough the nokton is not as heavy as the noctilux, surely is not a light weight either.

In sum, as of today I can handle the weight, and tolerate some discomfort, or quite a bit if highly motivated - I confess that sometimes a low dose aspirin is needed lol

Now, regarding the dof and longer lens thing, I don't see it that way - which is fine we differ. After all, if we all had same opinion, would be very boring.

The only longer focal I would consider would be the 75 noctilux, and a wide angle (at 0.95 if that even could exist) would be really impracticable, from my experience of using the otus 28mm, and even with fast lenses one ofcourse does not have to soot wide open all the time - we all know that anyway :); is just taht it is a bit of "waste" using a 1.4 lens to shot  often at f/8 

(swoosh-pluck  - opening a can of worms) ...then there is the unique rendering of the 0.95 or even 1.0. To me it's a combination of the lens potential, characteristics and specifications that lures me - yes, I do like to shoot wide open, do see ( or at least believe I can see) the leica "glow" and different color rendering, and don't really do much of the street photography thing.

Thank you for your perspective and sort of ''get-you-feet-on-the-ground' reminder

1 hour ago, nwphil said:

Thanks Mark - it is indeed a good point, and probably the reason some people ended selling their noctilux after a short time. For some might have been the lure of lens itself, or the street photography thing. For the last, many would say (with way more experience than me) the noc is not the best choice, but ofcourse it can used; so expectations can just go in fumes very fast

The weight thing is indeed quantifiable, and different people will have different tolerances. In my case, I have hiked and backpacked with a 1Dx with a 16-35mm or 24-105 attached, in a sling over my shoulders. I have walked around with the otus 28 too, and altough the nokton is not as heavy as the noctilux, surely is not a light weight either.

In sum, as of today I can handle the weight, and tolerate some discomfort, or quite a bit if highly motivated - I confess that sometimes a low dose aspirin is needed lol

Now, regarding the dof and longer lens thing, I don't see it that way - which is fine we differ. After all, if we all had same opinion, would be very boring.

The only longer focal I would consider would be the 75 noctilux, and a wide angle (at 0.95 if that even could exist) would be really impracticable, from my experience of using the otus 28mm, and even with fast lenses one ofcourse does not have to soot wide open all the time - we all know that anyway :); is just taht it is a bit of "waste" using a 1.4 lens to shot  often at f/8 

(swoosh-pluck  - opening a can of worms) ...then there is the unique rendering of the 0.95 or even 1.0. To me it's a combination of the lens potential, characteristics and specifications that lures me - yes, I do like to shoot wide open, do see ( or at least believe I can see) the leica "glow" and different color rendering, and don't really do much of the street photography thing.

Thank you for your perspective and sort of ''get-you-feet-on-the-ground' reminder

FWIW, you don't have to shoot the Noctilux wide open, so it does not have to be a "one-trick pony". This one taken @f 6.8.  From my perspective, it's a terrific and versatile 50mm option (that does wide open better than just about anything else).  

I think most gripes are because it is bigger, heavier, and expensive and there are more portable and less expensive terrific 50mm options. On the SL 601, the balance is not a big issue and the evf is superb so that f0.95 is quite doable. Rob

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

On 8/22/2019 at 6:38 PM, nwphil said:

Keep coming back to this same questioning regarding the 50mm noctilux - should I get it?

no really need for it per se, but love the shallow DOF, rendering, etc.
I do have a nice kit with the M240, but feel less motivated to use it (I do have two other cameras, non-RF), hence thinking of making the M a one-lens rig just with one special lens.

To that extend, I would have to sell the Voigt 12mm v1, 21sem, 35 cron v4, 50 cron v3, and a 90 macro-elmar, otherwise it would never be the special  one lens kit.

Kills me a bit getting rid of theses lenses too

So, if you were considering become a single lens use with the M, would you really go this route and grab a noctilux (50mm)?

Thanks for listening...

Phil

Phil,

Noctilux 50mm can hardly become a one-lens-kit-M .

For M kit, it's too heavy and big and not easy to use or carry all day long, I know the thing well when I did try to use as one-lens-M, I failed.

Lighter Summilux-M or Summicron or even my now favorite Summarit-M that I can have "35/50/75" for hardly at Noctilux price or weight .

Then I can carry/use at will one-lens-kit with M + 35/50/75 ...one of those each time, of course .

I keep Noctilux as special purpose lens though.

• Like 2

If forced to choose one and only one lens--then the answer would be yes to a 50mm F/1. I shot with a Noctilux exclusively for 9+ months. I found the artificial imposition of restricting myself to one lens improved my compositional maturity and experimentation. As pointed out previously, I did not confine myself to only using it wide open. Great lens at F4 and F5.6 as well. Heavy by M standards but that never bothered me (but I used to lug a Hasselblad 501CM around for years before I moved to Nikon digital and ultimately Leica).

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, tom0511 said:

On the SL for me the 50/1.4 SL is more useful lens.

tom0511:

I'm not sure that I understand:  Why would the 50 1.4 be "more useful" than the Noctilux  (which has the added usefulness of the aperture range from f0.95 -1.4)?  

If you are referring to having auto focus, I understand.

Thanks,

Rob

Edited by ropo54

2 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Phil,

Noctilux 50mm can hardly become a one-lens-kit-M .

For M kit, it's too heavy and big and not easy to use or carry all day long, I know the thing well when I did try to use as one-lens-M, I failed.

Lighter Summilux-M or Summicron or even my now favorite Summarit-M that I can have "35/50/75" for hardly at Noctilux price or weight .

Then I can carry/use at will one-lens-kit with M + 35/50/75 ...one of those each time, of course .

I keep Noctilux as special purpose lens though.

That's a valid point ofcourse; I could mount the otus on the M (looks ridiculous), but it's not the same rendering....If I was shooting only with the M, by all means, would make more sense having summarits and maybe a lux for more unique situations.

But it's not the case, meaning I could indeed carry the M with Noct mounted inside the bag, and shoot along with a m4/3 or the 1Dx, pulling it out as needed.

When I build up my kit, I went thru some experimentation with lenses; had voigts and zeiss too, and ended with the f/2 range for it's size and yet still great output.

I am sort of silly I would say, because the Otus does indeed motivate me to be more focused and look for a special capture....I am pretty sure the Noct will have similar effect  :)  (of making me more silly?or maybe not)

vor 9 Stunden schrieb ropo54:

tom0511:

I'm not sure that I understand:  Why would the 50 1.4 be "more useful" than the Noctilux  (which has the added usefulness of the aperture range from f0.95 -1.4)?  

If you are referring to having auto focus, I understand.

Thanks,

Rob

Yes, I mean AF since I have kids and a dog etc., and I feel with a precise AF I can catch moments better with more precise focusing.

• Thanks 1

I bought a noctilux f1 1st version in 1998 and I'm sure I will never sell it even though now I also have the f0,95 that I exchanged for an apo 50. maybe I could sell 0,95 but not f1. I used it for all occasions and in my travels, weight was never a problem. The only problem, when I used it with film, was that at the time of development I saw that often the focus was  a few centimeters behind! but even this is resolved with experience. lately I sent it to the Leitz to get it coded and put in new. it's fantastic and when I compare it with 0.95 I conclude that the f1 version is more engaging.
0.95 is easier to use because it is more predictable.
I use my lenses on SL, monochrome mm and m10d.
an economic alternative I find that it is the canon ltm f1.4
the noctilux f1 is however unique.
I also have the summilux 50 SL that I use if I need perfection and the speed of autofocus.
ps. another lens that I believe I will never sell is the 35 summicron M first 8-lens version.
if I were you I would take the F1, I would sell the lenses you use less and then over time I would see what I really miss

• Thanks 1

I have a 50 Noctilux f/1 and I love it. And I know I can stop it down to f/1.4 and have a "Summilux". But nevertheless I have also got a 50 Summilux (pre-asph). Even though I love large apertures, it cannot trump a smaller and lighter lens, which I find much more useful and closer to the real "Leica feel". That's why I need both.

• Like 2

The use of “you,” in the title, makes this a personal question, so, personally, no, I do not presently contemplate acquiring any current or previous version of the 50mm Noctilux-M lens. My Summilux-M 50mm ASPH was the lens that attracted me to the Leica-M system; I love its signature/character, and it is plenty large enough, for a fifty. Because I have a “character” fifty, I would be more interesting in adding an APO Summicron-M 50mm ASPH, to complement my Summilux, if I want to spend that much money. (There is no hurry, as I also have a pre-APO, pre-ASPH 50mm ‘Cron.)

The uncommon Leica-M lens that stirs my interest is the Summilux-M 75mm, which some have asserted is much like a 50mm Noctilux, in character.

If I would wish to use it with a LEM/LER adapter, it would be nice to own a Summilux-R 80mm lens.

It is quite possible that I would strongly desire to possess the rumored, future 35mm Noctilux, if it reaches fruition. I will emphasize that I do not obsess over this rumor, and I will not be disappointed if it never comes true.

I am not trying to persuade, convince, or convert, any person.

Edited by RexGig0
  • Like 3

The only lens I did not regret in trading was the 50mm Elmar, I did not think it suited my needs in the weather I visited.  

The rest of the lenses I traded for getting something new, was always making the situation worse. I understand your urge to go one lens. I had the same urge with my Nikon gear about 25 years ago.

If I had not traded all the lenses I did trade to acquire other gear, I estimate, that the value rise alone could have been over € 15000,- /20.000. I " created " about € 4000,- at  the time ( the worst time, just before the M8 ).

I'm now at the moment, that I realise that every lens I own has it's own " preciousness " . If I really wanted a Noctilux so bad, I would wait and put small amounts of money aside and buy it some months later. And what's the hurry. Many be it's healthy to delay your pleasure a little longer.😊:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_gratification

If you really want to sell your lenses, do it 5 years after you have bought the Noctilux and be surprised of the steadiness of their price. It's better than money in the bank at the moment. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, indergaard said:

Thank you - you know I really do value opinions based on experience, and this is more than gear lust or gas - both the .0 and 0.95 can achieve great results in the right hands, but no doubt they both provide different outputs.  I am sure I want an ultra shallow dof lens, a bit insecure on the 50mm, but above all it's the fact that I actually like the rendering of both lenses, and even if I had cash for both, to me it would not make sense have both. So it's having to decide between one of them that is "killing' me. Why do I think about selling the other lenses? because would make me focus literally into a single lens, a special one, for everyday or every time I want to go out and simplify things. 

The 0.06 is the one that suits my style best, and that's why I do consider the 1.0 a contender - because would make me get out of my conformity. OTOH, keeping 5 other leica mount lenses, will not force me to use it so much, because it's so easy to pocket the small lenses - and then I have plenty of choices in other formats.

So, helps to hear (most) of other people opinions even if light-hearted. and I am getting too many lenses because I have a hard time getting rid of them . Takes me a long time to make a decision,  often almost trying to convince myself that really don't need it, instead of trying to justify why should I get it. They are just tools, and don't have sentimental attachment to any of them, but do appreciate the joy of using them and results they bring; after all this is just a hobby for me, and if one does not get some sort of direct on indirect satisfation out of it may as well call it a job LOL

Thanks for sharing your article - very interesting reading

"(...)I would not sell all my lenses and cameras to get it.If you do, I think you will be disappointed(...)"  It''s so amazing to see and hear that this lenses seems to on of the most controversial one's out there, and yet one can understand that either opposite view has indeed valid points.

44 minutes ago, Paulus said:

The only lens I did not regret in trading was the 50mm Elmar, I did not think it suited my needs in the weather I visited.  

The rest of the lenses I traded for getting something new, was always making the situation worse. I understand your urge to go one lens. I had the same urge with my Nikon gear about 25 years ago.

If I had not traded all the lenses I did trade to acquire other gear, I estimate, that the value rise alone could have been over € 15000,- /20.000. I " created " about € 4000,- at  the time ( the worst time, just before the M8 ).

I'm now at the moment, that I realise that every lens I own has it's own " preciousness " . If I really wanted a Noctilux so bad, I would wait and put small amounts of money aside and buy it some months later. And what's the hurry. Many be it's healthy to delay your pleasure a little longer.😊:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_gratification

If you really want to sell your lenses, do it 5 years after you have bought the Noctilux and be surprised of the steadiness of their price. It's better than money in the bank at the moment. 

That's why I ended with way too many lenses, because do recognize each one has is "preciousness" ( not in monetary value). I have been delaying  the purchase of the Noctilux for a couple years, and probably would survive delaying a couple more, but do agree that might be a good thing to delay the sale of the other lenses.

For instance I do have the canon 180 macro,  and gave preference lately to a 100mm or even 50. Started thinking that might as well sell a lens that is just collecting dust, but let's give a try before throw it out. Well,  I have forgotten how well it behaves and renders. Sure  not perfect, does not have IS, but now I am not selling it :) it's a keeper indeed

• Like 1