M8 ccd sensor not working

Nora Charney

What's the point of your questions?  To justify spending $7000+ on a camera that might not last more than 10 years?

You can answer your own questions by doing the math yourself.  But if you're buying film, processing yourself, and scanning it for posting online, I'd say around 35000 images or more.  That's assuming you already own a film camera.  If you load film in bulk, you're probably closer to 50000 images.

2 hours ago, CSGreene said:

What's the point of your questions?  To justify spending $7000+ on a camera that might not last more than 10 years?

I simply don't recall how expensive film can be. I don't take photos for my job anymore but i easily take more than 5,000 pics per year and i cannot imagine how i could spend less than $ 0.5 per shot and probably more with film, so the way you calculate 50,000 shots is a total mystery for me sorry. Never mind my intent was not to bother you in any way :cool:. 

• 10 months later...
On 9/2/2019 at 2:45 PM, 84bravo said:

Aftermarket batteries for the M8/.M9 have been problematic for many users. They are plentiful now, but eventually Leica batteries and aftermarket will be very hard to find. Have you tried to purchase a Digilux 2 battery lately?

I don't expect any camera manufacturer to support sensors after fifteen years, even if the camera was $7000 new. Analog cameras are a different story because any skilled repair person could keep it running long past it's introduction. Digital cameras require proprietary tools and equipment to maintain repairs. Most of those repairs are not repairs at all, but replacement of assemblies, no different than a computer.

Now if Leica is still repairing or maintaining cameras at twice the cost of purchasing a used working camera, good for them. However, as a professional user I don't see that as a good ROI if I'm paying $2000+ in repairs for a camera that has a resale value of well less than $1500. YMMV.

Just a point about batteries - I have a Nikon D1X and as far as I know new Nikon original batteries are no longer available. There is however one big difference in that the Nikon can be run with an external power source. 

I have my Nikon set to use a Quantum Turbo battery with a Quantum D1,D1X,D1H lead and it works perfectly.

The Leica M8 has no such facility and therefore if new batteries becomes unavailable then it is a paperweight unless of course some DIY work is done to adapt a Quantum Battery to run the camera.

BTW I find the Chinese Ebay batteries for the M8/M9 work OK only they don't report the battery condition as per OE batteries.