Anyone using Arca Clamp with Q2 Lims case?

1 hour ago, BulaBarry said:

My Q2 LIMS Design case is outfitted with a built in Arca dovetail in its base plate.  I would like to attach an Arca quick release clamp to my Gitzo Traveller Tripod’s ball head to mate up with the camera case. Any suggestions?

That’s exactly what I did. I used s RRS BH-30 ballhead with a quick release clamp. It works great. Make sure you have plenty of threads holding the ballhead and use locktite to ensure it does not unscrew. I discarded the Gitzo plate. It served no obvious purpose and greatly reduced the number of threads into the ballhead base that the stud screws in to  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Leica Guy
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Leica Guy said:

That’s exactly what I did. I used s RRS BH-30 ballhead with a quick release clamp. It works great. Make sure you have plenty of threads holding the ballhead and use locktite to ensure it does not unscrew. I discarded the Gitzo plate. It served no obvious purpose and greatly reduced the number of threads into the ballhead base that the stud screws in to  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks for your reply!  You have a very nice setup. I might go that route. My initial thought was to try to keep the very small profile of my collapsed tripod. I have the Gitzo G1155T Traveller which collapses to 14” with ball head. They don’t make these anymore. I was thinking of just adding an Arca clamp to the current ball head plate’s 1/4” 20 bolt. Now, you’ve got me thinking of adding several inches more length for a far superior ball head. What to do??

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from vacation and the LIMS case was just brilliant.  I could use my RRS mini tripod (don't knock it - a pocketable tripod is very handy) with the little RRS Arca head or a small Gitzo with another Arca head.  It was great not having to worry about a camera plate.