Leica APO summicron 50 SL vs Summilux 50 SL?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm not sure that this lens is sold already or not. I have owned the summilux 50 SL

that was a good lens but too heavy for me that  why i decided to sold it in that time. 

As we knew this lens is fantastic in term of quality as the APO summicron 50 M mount. 

If you own the Summilux 50 SL, will you buy the APO summicron 50 SL? 

which lens do you prefer? 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

F/1.4 gets you twice the likes than f/2, and f/2 gets you twice the likes than f/2.8. 

Yes the Summilux is heavy, still I walk around with it, photo's are gorgeous. Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Tom0511,   I found the new 50 SL-Cron bokeh and color to be IMO, similar to the M 50mm APO-Cron.  The lens resolves again IMO, higher than the M 50 APO-Cron from my results.  The detail it renders is incredible.  I can only image what the SL lenses will do with the upcoming SL2.  The 50 SL-Lux bokeh, is softer and definitely a cross between the M 50 Noctilux and M 50 APO-Cron.  Jono Slack has some photographs on his article in the SL forum thread that might give you an idea of what the SL 50 APO

Posted Images

Oudjunk,  I just received a 50mm APO-Summicron-SL and own the SL 50mm Lux.  Over the weekend I took a good number of photographs with the SL 50 APO-Cron and my copy is superb and results show it resolves better than my M 50 APO-Summicron.   I found the SL 50mm APO-Cron draws/renders superbly for my tastes and exceeds expectations.  The SL 50 Lux that I also have, is a keeper for me.  IMO, it is a cross between a M 50 APO-Cron and 50 Noctilux and it draws in a beautiful way.  Despite its weight and size,  I will keep it for special purpose photographs, mostly for people and landscapes.  You will find the SL 50 APO-Cron to be a superb lens.  There are several photographs taken by other photographers who now own the SL 50 APO-Cron on the forum that you might check out.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10

As an M user of decades, I couldn't get my head around the size & weight of the 50 Lux. The SL is large and heavy enough on its own, compared to the M10
So yesterday I sold the 50 lux & picked up the 50 cron.
I have no regrets, and I have an M mount 50 lux and a Canon SM 50 1.2 if I absolutely need anything more wide open, and having had the M 50 AA, I know the SL version will be incredibly good.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 10 Stunden schrieb LeicaR10:

Oudjunk,  I just received a 50mm APO-Summicron-SL and own the SL 50mm Lux.  Over the weekend I took a good number of photographs with the SL 50 APO-Cron and my copy is superb and results show it resolves better than my M 50 APO-Summicron.   I found the SL 50mm APO-Cron draws/renders superbly for my tastes and exceeds expectations.  The SL 50 Lux that I also have, is a keeper for me.  IMO, it is a cross between a M 50 APO-Cron and 50 Noctilux and it draws in a beautiful way.  Despite its weight and size,  I will keep it for special purpose photographs, mostly for people and landscapes.  You will find the SL 50 APO-Cron to be a superb lens.  There are several photographs taken by other photographers who now own the SL 50 APO-Cron on the forum that you might check out.  r/ Mark

Would you mind to describe a bit the difference of rendering between the 2 lenses. I also have the 50/1.4 but have ordered the 50/2.0 because of the smaller size/weight.

I really love the rendering of the 50/1.4 though. If you shoot both at f2.0, would you see any differences (boke/color/...) between the 2 lenses?

Tom0511,   I found the new 50 SL-Cron bokeh and color to be IMO, similar to the M 50mm APO-Cron.  The lens resolves again IMO, higher than the M 50 APO-Cron from my results.  The detail it renders is incredible.  I can only image what the SL lenses will do with the upcoming SL2.  The 50 SL-Lux bokeh, is softer and definitely a cross between the M 50 Noctilux and M 50 APO-Cron.  Jono Slack has some photographs on his article in the SL forum thread that might give you an idea of what the SL 50 APO-Cron can do.  I have the SL 50 APO-Cron for landscape photography.  I used the SL 50 Lux for that purpose for a while but found the M 50 APO-Cron worked better for my expectations and my clients liked my photographs rendered with the crisp detail better.  I use the SL 50 Lux for people photographs.  The SL 50 APO-Cron from what I see, resolves even higher detail.  Depending on what your genre of photography, you will find the SL 50 APO-Cron to resolve most excellent detail with smooth bokeh.  Last, if you have used/own(ed) the superb M 50 APO-Cron,  you will find the SL 50 APO-Cron to be even better resolution and color, bokeh being IMO, the same.  I hope this helps.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10

I wonder if the AF in the new SL 50 Apo is better than in the other primes. Especially regarding continuous AF. So has anybody had the chance to make a comparison (Summicron SL 50 Apo vs Summilux SL 50 is probably the most interesting, or maybe also compared to the Lumix 50mm or the humble Sigma 2.8/45)

Is it possible to use it for taking pictures of children e.g. when they are running around in the garden ?  Or are the zooms (24-90, 24-105) still better (faster) at that ?

Of course the camera is also important. The S1/R is probably faster, but with the SL I am also interested in the AF speed. Maybe other users as well ?

Edited by caissa
1 hour ago, caissa said:

I wonder if the AF in the new SL 50 Apo is better than in the other primes. Especially regarding continuous AF. So has anybody had the chance to make a comparison (Summicron SL 50 Apo vs Summilux SL 50 is probably the most interesting, or maybe also compared to the Lumix 50mm or the humble Sigma 2.8/45)

Is it possible to use it for taking pictures of children e.g. when they are running around in the garden ?  Or are the zooms (24-90, 24-105) still better (faster) at that ?

Of course the camera is also important. The S1/R is probably faster, but with the SL I am also interested in the AF speed. Maybe other users as well ?

I have an SL and S1R and the 90 SL and SL 50 1.4 I cannot see a difference of speed between the 2 cameras with either lens. I would suspect the 50 APO will focus as fast as the 90 which is very good. I don’t find the 50 is too slow, at least for what I use it for including street.

I also am happy with the speed (after the firmware upgrade of the SL50). But some users said they had difficulties taking pics of their (grand)children playing in the garden. So I wonder if there is a lens for SL that can do that ...  Or if a Sony is needed for that ...   😋

From older times I still have a EF 1.8/50 STM and a Canon 5DS, and this is faster focusing (but not always very precisely).

Edited by caissa
2 hours ago, caissa said:

I find the zooms' AF faster and more precise than the crons (I have 75 and 90). Not a 100% fair comparison on precision though as the two zooms have IS and the crons don't 

46 minutes ago, canlogic said:

I have an SL and S1R and the 90 SL and SL 50 1.4 I cannot see a difference of speed between the 2 cameras with either lens. I would suspect the 50 APO will focus as fast as the 90 which is very good. I don’t find the 50 is too slow, at least for what I use it for including street.

I agree and in fact I find the AF of the 50 slower than the cron but more precise (probably also due to more DoF)

13 minutes ago, caissa said:

From B&H you can now get a bundle. SL plus Apo Summicron SL 50 for only 7995.-  (in stock)

interesting. I was talking to a few dealers today (I was on the queue for the lens and I decided to pass for now) and they were not getting crazy amounts of requests, especially in comparison to the queue for the 35 APO. Sounds like a few customers decided to stick with the SL Lux 50 at least for now. I have done the same and would love to try one before deciding

Edited by Fedro