Close-up lens and Q/Q2?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica does not include Q/Q2 in the list of what can be used with the Elpro-lens.

Anyone who uses this combination?

Maybe it is merely unessesary and complicated to use it anyway? Depth of field gets too short and instead one easily can crop afterwards with larger depth of field reamained.

Edited by Strmbrg
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TK! said:

Vignetting?

tnx

tk

19 hours ago, Strmbrg said:

How close do you get?

No vignetting that I could see.
As far as how close, haven't a clue. I do macro so seldom and not seriously, so I can't pass on any specifics, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Strmbrg said:

Hopefully even older ELPRO-lenses can be used with the Q2 (together with size-adapter of course). New-prices are very high compared to used ones.

Any experiences of that?

Price is a minor concern compared to the availability of these lenses.. I have been looking for one for at least half a year now and they are constantly sold out everywhere..

Edited by zampelis

On 8/17/2019 at 9:48 PM, Strmbrg said:

Leica does not include Q/Q2 in the list of what can be used with the Elpro-lens.

Anyone who uses this combination?

Maybe it is merely unessesary and complicated to use it anyway? Depth of field gets too short and instead one easily can crop afterwards with larger depth of field reamained.

You’ll get very close to your subject doing macro on a 28 mm lens. 

Yes, but perspective will be extremely steep. It is great for model photography as the result will look like life-size, but to render objects naturally, you will need focal lengths between 60 and 200 mm sdepending on the magnification.. For insects, 300 is even better.

I just called a dealer in Stockholm. He mounted the ELPRO 52 on a Q2 and reported that the closest distance is about 8 cm. (Compared to the known 17 cm in macro mode without ELPRO.)
When focusing on a horisontally placed ruler, the length that fills viewfinder/sensor is:
Normal mode: ~30cm
Macro mode: ~15cm
Macro+ELPRO 52: ~8cm (8cm/3,6cm gives 1:2,2)
He also reported that there was a certain cushion-shaped distorsion whith ELPRO attached.

My personal conclusion is:
That I will not buy the ELPRO. (Or any other close-up-lens.)
The price is very high, the depth of field becomes troublesome and the resolution/sharpness of the camera as it is, allows for certain cropping whitout the decrease in depth of field.

Edited by Strmbrg
  • Like 1

I wouldn't be discouraged by what the Stockholm dealer reported.

I know that the new Elpro is supposed to be the cat's meow (kind of dates me, right?). But it's also fun to play around with old elpros through step-up/down rings and they can be got for a song (if a song cost $20) on ebay, KEH, etc. I've got a double stacked marumi, which has been terrific (thanks to zampelis/Dimitrios), but it's a lot of fun playing around with others as well. And, as Dimitrios references, distortion is easily fixed in post.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bags27 said:

I wouldn't be discouraged by what the Stockholm dealer reported.

I know that the new Elpro is supposed to be the cat's meow (kind of dates me, right?). But it's also fun to play around with old elpros through step-up/down rings and they can be got for a song (if a song cost $20) on ebay, KEH, etc. I've got a double stacked marumi, which has been terrific (thanks to zampelis/Dimitrios), but it's a lot of fun playing around with others as well. And, as Dimitrios references, distortion is easily fixed in post.

+1 on Ken’s comments. I don’t worry at all about distortion outside the center 50%. I expect it to be soft. However the closer focus and with such a sharp lens / sensor on the Q/Q2, it’s very rewarding and fun. Add a ring flash and it’s even better. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Strmbrg said:

I just called a dealer in Stockholm. He mounted the ELPRO 52 on a Q2 and reported that the closest distance is about 8 cm. (Compared to the known 17 cm in macro mode without ELPRO.)
When focusing on a horisontally placed ruler, the length that fills viewfinder/sensor is:
Normal mode: ~30cm
Macro mode: ~15cm
Macro+ELPRO 52: ~8cm (8cm/3,6cm gives 1:2,2)
He also reported that there was a certain cushion-shaped distorsion whith ELPRO attached.

My personal conclusion is:
That I will not buy the ELPRO. (Or any other close-up-lens.)
The price is very high, the depth of field becomes troublesome and the resolution/sharpness of the camera as it is, allows for certain cropping whitout the decrease in depth of field.

I think you will get as good or better results with a Canon 500D close-up lens (58 mm, step ring if needed)