Jump to content
twogun

Leica M6 TTL light meter - what's the official verdict w/repairability?

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has Leica ever officially confirmed that M6 TTL light meter is not repairable by them? I've read mixed information in this forum and elsewhere where "some" owners have sent the camera for light meter repair and some have had it repaired and others have received a response from Leica that they can't fix it. What specifically is so unique about the M6 TTL light meter vs the M6 classic light meter that makes it so complex for repair.

Obviously I'm interested in purchasing an M6 TTL in great condition - found one specifically with a 0.58x viewfinder which is very important to me since I wear glasses and shoot primarily 28mm and 35mm. I enjoy the in-camera light meter and hoping that in a few years down the line ...the M6 TTL does not turn into M4-P if the light meter malfunctions for any reason. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not go for an M6 Classic or an MP with 0.58 magnification?

Edited by dsj

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good point - M6 Classic is an option but the .58 versions are not as easy to come by ...and MP is a bit over my budget currently.

The M6 TTL .58x  happened to be available for me to purchase at this time and thought it would be worth considering it as an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, twogun said:

Good point - M6 Classic is an option but the .58 versions are not as easy to come by ...and MP is a bit over my budget currently.

The M6 TTL .58x  happened to be available for me to purchase at this time and thought it would be worth considering it as an option.

I know it doesn't answer your question but I have had my M6TTL .58x since 2001 and it still performs perfectly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems it is the circuit board, rather than the light meter itself, that is non-repairable. Therefore, if your light meter ceases functioning  because of a faulty circuit board, Leica can not provide a replacement.

However, if it is not the circuit board, but a broken wiring connection or electrical component (resistor, diode, etc) in theory, it should be repairable.  Finding a technician who can diagnose the fault and repair it is another matter. 

In short, it’s a risk. If you want to rake that gamble, go ahead with the TTL. If not, save up for an MP 0.58. I have one, and it is a wonderful camera. The 0.58 is a real treat with a 28 or 35mm lens, and you are completely justified in pursuing it. 

Best of  luck in your search!

J  

Edited by Mute-on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps consider an M7 with .58x viewfinder which is repairable in the event of failure. I thought the classic M6 (non-ttl) was only available with .72x and .85x viewfinders?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If the M6 TTL circuit board is no longer being made, similar parts for the (even more complicated) M7 could not be far away from "going away" as well.

The original/non-TTL/Classic M6 is the most likely "somewhat distant" future secure as one one get in terms of parts availability, so long as production of some version of the MP is being made. At 57 years old myself, I couldn't see either my 52 year-old M4 or Wetzlar (already 33 year-old) M6 not outliving me. If the day comes the meter dies, replacement spd cells and/or finder diode parts supply dries up and it becomes a glorified M4-P, so be it.

The world supply of 35mm film might dry up before these cameras die.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Mute-on said:

It seems it is the circuit board, rather than the light meter itself, that is non-repairable. Therefore, if your light meter ceases functioning  because of a faulty circuit board, Leica can not provide a replacement.

However, if it is not the circuit board, but a broken wiring connection or electrical component (resistor, diode, etc) in theory, it should be repairable.  Finding a technician who can diagnose the fault and repair it is another matter. 

In short, it’s a risk. If you want to rake that gamble, go ahead with the TTL. If not, save up for an MP 0.58. I have one, and it is a wonderful camera. The 0.58 is a real treat with a 28 or 35mm lens, and you are completely justified in pursuing it. 

Best of  luck in your search!

J  

Thanks for the information about the electrical component . I agree in that its a risk - I'm still 100% sure if its worth to save up for the MP but food for thought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the end of the day, we managed to take good and well exposed photographs without TTL..If the TTL is what your heart desires, buy it, you can always use a handheld light meter,   L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, lykaman said:

At the end of the day, we managed to take good and well exposed photographs without TTL..If the TTL is what your heart desires, buy it, you can always use a handheld light meter,   L

TTL in this case refers to flash TTL metering. All M's with meters have TTL metering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

TTL in this case refers to flash TTL metering. All M's with meters have TTL metering.

Hi, I understand that, I was remis in not making myself clearer.. as I said, No TTL does not stop the camera being used in all and any circumstances.. L 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, twogun said:

Thanks for the information about the electrical component . I agree in that its a risk - I'm still 100% sure if its worth to save up for the MP but food for thought. 

If your budget won’t stretch to the MP, and you intend on using a 28mm lens with glasses, then the 0.58 M6 TTL is arguably worth the risk. The 0.58 viewfinder is really worthwhile IMHO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

I have actual information directly form Leica about repair light meter in M6 TTL. There is one M6TTL with faulty light meter for price around 600euro but with faulty lightmeter. Owner contacted leica and send camera to repair. Leica reply that it cannot be repaired (without any diagnostics send) and offer buy new MP for 2950euro. Owner dont want it and now is Leica on the back. I have tried contact another services and they say me has to see it and confirm it what Leica said. There are no longer another spare parts for Leica M6TTL. But maybe can be repairable without changing spare parts.

So I have to do decision if I buy it and try to fix it.. or use without lightmeter (M6TTL 0.85, original owner from 2002)...

Edited by jakham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I've tried to be realistic and objective in my decision to get the a "mint" M6 TTL with .58x finder & decided to go ahead and purchase it. 

1: Budget/Cost - At the moment I'm not willing to stretch the budget to accommodate for an MP 0.58x even if I'm able to do so.  Maybe in the future I will change my mind:)

2: .58x finder - fits my 28mm focal length shooting style and glasses that I wear. M7 is not appealing to me because of the additional electronics as well as other bodies Like the CLE or Zeiss Ikon etc

3: I trust Leica durability:  I will use the M6TTL at the moment and enjoy what I capture with it instead of worrying about it going bad. If I end up with the light meter problem I will either continue to use it or decide to sell it. I will consider the $$$ (loss from the sale) as my rental fee for using it. :) 

 

 

Edited by twogun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jakham said:

. There is one M6TTL with faulty light meter for price around 600euro but with faulty lightmeter.

€600 for an M6TTL without a working light meter seems like a very good deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wattsy said:

€600 for an M6TTL without a working light meter seems like a very good deal.

Why not just use the funds on an M3 (as a 0.85 substitute)? One certainly wouldn’t proceed with the M6 on the assumption that it is repairable. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vor 10 Minuten schrieb Mute-on:

Why not just use the funds on an M3 (as a 0.85 substitute)?

And a M3 you can combine easily with a Leicameter, the M6 TTL doesn't allow this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Mute-on said:

Why not just use the funds on an M3 (as a 0.85 substitute)? One certainly wouldn’t proceed with the M6 on the assumption that it is repairable. 

 

But the OP wants a 0.58 not 0.85. slightly different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jakham said:

Hello,

I have actual information directly form Leica about repair light meter in M6 TTL. There is one M6TTL with faulty light meter for price around 600euro but with faulty lightmeter. Owner contacted leica and send camera to repair. Leica reply that it cannot be repaired (without any diagnostics send) and offer buy new MP for 2950euro. Owner dont want it and now is Leica on the back. I have tried contact another services and they say me has to see it and confirm it what Leica said. There are no longer another spare parts for Leica M6TTL. But maybe can be repairable without changing spare parts.

So I have to do decision if I buy it and try to fix it.. or use without lightmeter (M6TTL 0.85, original owner from 2002)...

It's a bargain! Just get a handheld meter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Similar Content

    • By Clook
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Clook
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Vise
      Hi everyone,
      I'm new to this forum and I'm new to Leica world.
      Yesterday I received my first Leica, a Black Classic M6. I thought it was a "bargain" at first, but now, after checking It all around, I see a misaligned of the top plate.
      How serious do you think it is? Is it solvable? I have not yet contacted the seller, I wanted to ask you first and then my trusted repairer. I hope it is nothing serious... Before taking it, the seller told me that the shutter had been serviced a few months earlier
        Thanks!   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!    
                 
    • By S.L.Dixon
      Hi,
      I have had a M6 (serial number is in the 1665000 range) for about 7 years now and to be honest, haven't used it a lot in the last few years, but fired it up again recently and noticed that I think the light meter is functioning odd. In the past, I could press the shutter button when the film wasn't wound on and the light meter would activate, briefly, and then I could set the exposure. Now it doesn't do that, but when I wind film on, it will activate the light meter and not turn off until a photo is taken.
      I ran a roll of film through and it works fine - i.e the exposures were fine - it just seems to activate differently that it used to. Is this a common thing anyone knows about?
      I live in Melbourne, Australia and it's tough to get a repairer here who will look at an M6.  Any advice would be REALLY helpful. 
      Thanks in advance!
      Scott
      (Also, I added a photo of my camera just 'cause it's a nice looking thing.)

      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By ThomasSmithDP
      Hey Guys,
      I wanted to buy a used leica since months now. But I am still unsure if I should go with the M6 or the M4? The only big difference is that the M6 has a lightmeter and the M4 not. But since I work in the film industry. I wanted to buy a separate light meter anyway at some point. So is it better to go with the cheaper M4 and get also a good lens instead of spending a lot on the M6?
      Looking forward to your replies
      Best
      Thomas
       
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Read more about our Privacy Policy