stephengv

Leica CL Thumb Support

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Guys, planning to get a CL. Is the CL Thumb Support worth it? Do you need it? I'm an M 240 user, and I can't live without the Thumbs Up on my M. 

Please read this forum. We have a dozen threads on the subject and counting.

2 hours ago, Marac said:

Simple answer, YES.

+1. The CL is too slippery otherwise and not everybody likes half cases. We've been discussing about this a couple times already. I had open a thread if memory serves as i had both the Leica and Match Technical versions. My feeling about the Leica was so so until i realized that it works perfectly (for me) when i use the index finger to rotate the left dial the same way as the shutter speed dial of M cameras.

Once again - YES - you need a thumb support - and the one to get IMO is the Thumbie - it stays put, gives good support and leaves the accessory shoe available for flash etc

It pairs very nicely with the Leica handgrip FYI.

With heavier lenses you will need Leica’s thumb support + Leica’s handgrip.

No need for the too rigid finger loop. 

With lighter lenses you can choose either one only. 

Thumb support adds 10g and changes the ergonomics. You will operate dials with index instead of thumb. 

Handgrip adds 90g and it is quite fast to remove. Thanks to its big hand operated screw. 

At least, you should get a handgrip. 

I think that we should not use any case in summer. Because the CL can get hot. 

Fortunately for me Nicci78 I live in England at nothing ever gets too hot here lol.

Seriously though, not had a problem yet using it in the case, I do have the grip and thumb grip as well as the Leica leather case and I like to switch between them, my main set up is in the case with a thumb grip, When I use longer lenses it helps to remove the case and initialise the grip..

On 8/17/2019 at 12:53 AM, lct said:

+1. The CL is too slippery otherwise and not everybody likes half cases. We've been discussing about this a couple times already. I had open a thread if memory serves as i had both the Leica and Match Technical versions. My feeling about the Leica was so so until i realized that it works perfectly (for me) when i use the index finger to rotate the left dial the same way as the shutter speed dial of M cameras.

Thank you. That convince me, I also use the index finger to rotate my shutter speed on my M cameras.