To EVF or Rangfinder

56 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

Rangefinder.

I wish I could but I just get better results using the EVF. I think it has to do with the optics with these particular lenses

15 minutes ago, knisely said:

If I am shooting wide open I prefer the EVF. I like the peaking to determine my exact focus plane. Is it the eye or the nose? I just can't see the difference using the rangefinder. 

That’s exactly the same reason I prefer the EVF. It would be great to just use the rangefinder but at nearly 62 I just find the rangefinder not user friendly. 

Neil

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, jdlaing said:

You must become one with the rangefinder.

A few questions:

Where is your lens focus ring parked when carrying?

Do you keep both eyes open when focusing?

Are you wearing glasses?

I normally park my car as close to where I’m taking the picture as I can

i think I close my left eye

yes I wear glasses 

Rangefinder.  

If you're having trouble focussing with the rangefinder but you're okay with the EVF then your rangefinder might be off and need adjustment.  I had this when I had my M240 and couldn't reliably focus my 50/1 Noctilux but after I took them to Leica (in Solms then) they took an hour to adjust the M240 and I could nail focus perfectly from then on.

Pete.

3 hours ago, NW67 said:

I normally park my car as close to where I’m taking the picture as I can

i think I close my left eye

yes I wear glasses 

Let me repeat unless you don’t get it.......is your focus ring all the way to infinity when you are carrying the camera?

Are your glasses progressive lenses? Ie: bi or tri focal?

Edited by jdlaing

53 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

Let me repeat unless you don’t get it.......is your focus ring all the way to infinity when you are carrying the camera?

You've piqued my curiosity. What does carrying the camera with the lens at infinity do? I often do this.

1 hour ago, dkmoore said:

You've piqued my curiosity. What does carrying the camera with the lens at infinity do? I often do this.

When you bring the camera up you only have to turn the ring in one direction to focus instead of back and forth and back and forth and back and forth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jdlaing said:

Ooh I missed that bit

the focus ring is always left at whatever position it was at when the previous picture was taken......... that’s why leica has the auto sleep function 

my glasses are prescription lenses so that I can read my phone, walk Donne the road without bumping into people and help me hit 280 yard drives 🏌️♀️🏌️♀️🏌️♀️🏌️♀️

neil

49 minutes ago, jaapv said:

One of the essentials of rangefinder focusing is to always return the ring to infinity. Otherwise you cannot know in which direction to turn and how far, slowing you down.

First time I ever heard that......... I will try it

7 hours ago, NW67 said:

Ooh I missed that bit

the focus ring is always left at whatever position it was at when the previous picture was taken......... that’s why leica has the auto sleep function 

my glasses are prescription lenses so that I can read my phone, walk Donne the road without bumping into people and help me hit 280 yard drives 🏌️♀️🏌️♀️🏌️♀️🏌️♀️

neil

You may be looking at that focus patch through the wrong part of the prescription lenses.

Try the focus ring from infinity in one direction. You might like it.

I have a feeling there are other things you heard for the first time too. 😀

Rangefinder for me .

I always start with the focus set to infinity and when taking the shot I lean slightly in and out whilst  taking a couple of shots of my subject in the hope that I am in focus on some of them.  Nearly every time it is my first shot that gets the focus so my eyesight etc is all working well for now !

9 minutes ago, Rupert Greenwell said:

Rangefinder for me .

I always start with the focus set to infinity and when taking the shot I lean slightly in and out whilst  taking a couple of shots of my subject in the hope that I am in focus on some of them.  Nearly every time it is my first shot that gets the focus so my eyesight etc is all working well for now !

HOPE

i prefer to make sure I get it write, so my go to with these lenses is now the EVF

thanks

neil

16 hours ago, jdlaing said:

When you bring the camera up you only have to turn the ring in one direction to focus instead of back and forth and back and forth and back and forth.

oh, I misunderstood what you were getting at. That is exactly what I do. Much faster.