Firmware 3.6 for the SL has also appeared today.

scott kirkpatrick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It mostly claims to solve issues that arise in supporting L-mount lenses from other makers, but I installed in my SL in case there was some secret sauce as well, and because I believe in keeping current.  It stopped to do a lens update for my 35 and 75 SL Summicrons, taking about 5-10 minutes each, but they still read as firmware 1.0.  It updated the lens firmware for the 16-35 Leica SL zoom, which now reads that it has firmware 1.1.  That update was said to make the zoom quieter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info, Scott.

Here are the improvements:

Leica SL FW 3.6

Compatibility with existing and upcoming lenses from L-Mount Alliance partners

• Improvement on compatibility with existing and upcoming lenses from L-Mount Alliance partners.
  • Improvement on compatibility with L-Mount lenses that are equipped with an AF/MF selection on the lens.
  • Improvement on compatibility with L-Mount lenses that are equipped with an OIS mode switch on the lens.

Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90 f/2.8-4 ASPH. FW 1.2

• For the Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90 f/2.8-4 ASPH. FW 1.2 reduces the noise from aperture drive while zooming.

APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280 f/2.8-4 FW 1.1

• For the APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280 f/2.8-4 FW 1.1 reduces the noise from aperture drive while zooming.

vor einer Stunde schrieb scott kirkpatrick:

... to do a lens update for my 35 and 75 SL Summicrons, taking about 5-10 minutes each, but they still read as firmware 1.0.  It updated the lens firmware for the 16-35 Leica SL zoom, which now reads that it has firmware 1.1.

The interesting part is that the instructions specifically only refer to FW updates for the 24-90 and 90-280, but similar to your observation updates were started (and completed) on the 16-35 and the Summicron SL90 (but also reads still as 1.0 after update). Since the updates for lenses do start automatically after camera FW update at the first time the lenses are mounted again it might be better to get this done in one effort with the camera update to avoid surprises "in the field", when maybe every second counts and one misses a great shot.

Edited by hofo100
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hofo100 said:

The interesting part is that the instructions specifically only refer to FW updates for the 24-90 and 90-280, but similar to your observation updates were started (and completed) on the 16-35 and the Summicron SL90 (but also reads still as 1.0 after update). Since the updates for lenses do start automatically after camera FW update at the first time the lenses are mounted again it might be better to get this done in one effort with the camera update to avoid surprises "in the field", when maybe every second counts and one misses a great shot.

If the lens says 1.0 before and 1.0 after it is not being updated

I suspect the "updates in progress" messages were merely an elongated checking process about whether an appropriate update exists

vor 2 Minuten schrieb colonel:

If the lens says 1.0 before and 1.0 after it is not being updated

I suspect the "updates in progress" messages were merely an elongated checking process about whether an appropriate update exists

Could well be - but the irritating part is that an update process is started (and says completed) which blocks the camera for a couple of minutes. Did not observe this behavior on earlier camera FW updates.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, hofo100 said:

Could well be - but the irritating part is that an update process is started (and says completed) which blocks the camera for a couple of minutes. Did not observe this behavior on earlier camera FW updates.

I personally don't like when the lens FW is combined with the camera HW. Prefer to know where I am and what I am updating ...

36 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

How else can you update firmware in a lens?  Making it optional or letting you postpone is always possible, but I sympathize with Leica's firmness in keeping us all uptodate.

Like some other manufacturers there are two other techniques:

1. Lens firmware is published separately per lens. It is updated like camera firmware, i.e. put on SD card and do through camera menu - I prefer this

2. Have Mac & PC software which updates the camera and attached lens when tethered

In both cases the camera is merely a vehicle for updating, rather then the target

Like the Sigma USB dock

Edited by colonel

14 hours ago, colonel said:

Like some other manufacturers there are two other techniques:

1. Lens firmware is published separately per lens. It is updated like camera firmware, i.e. put on SD card and do through camera menu - I prefer this

2. Have Mac & PC software which updates the camera and attached lens when tethered

In both cases the camera is merely a vehicle for updating, rather then the target

Like the Sigma USB dock

I assue one could download SSLens01.plf file and use it as a standalone firmware to update SL lens firmware. Although this file is not necessary for those updating SL 3.6 firmware, it could be used by those who don't want to update SL camera firmware, and by S1/S1R camera owners using SL lenses. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by su25

Well, anyway, job done.  I don't know what "reduces the noise from aperture drive while zooming" means in English.  I assume that the aperture changes (to keep it constant) as the vari-focal zoom zoom across their range.

Shame that they didn't fix some of the compatibility issues with the S1/R that the Summicron seem to have (eg, the 35mm Summicron seems to be constantly hunting for focus when the camera is idle). No doubt this is a Panasonic issue.

More potentially serious are the focus shift issues that Digilloyd and Adam de Wilde say that they have come across, although I have not experienced them myself, so don't know what they are.

2 hours ago, jrp said:

More potentially serious are the focus shift issues that Digilloyd and Adam de Wilde say that they have come across, although I have not experienced them myself, so don't know what they are.

...... and neither does anybody else.

If it was a 'real world' issue ..... if it actually exists, that is ..... some of us would have spotted it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, thighslapper said:

If it was a 'real world' issue ..... if it actually exists, that is ..... some of us would have spotted it.

One thing that I have noticed is that the 35mm Summicron appears to be hunting for focus all the time on the S1R, even when it’s not up to my eye. Maybe this is a DFD optimisation, but the clicking is a bit irritating. 

The Leica engineers devised firmware upgrade process is completely thoughtless. I upgraded the SL body first, then three lenses. Each time the upgrade runs through its paces, in my case 4 times, (almost) all user settings get wiped out. Ridiculous.