Jump to content
sls

Q2 instant death

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had a Q from day of release and it was faultless, even with some accidental mistreatment. I am on my first proper travel trip with a brand new Q2. Have taken about 200 shots. On my first day on this trip it was working fine and then 30 seconds later completely dead. No power, changed batteries, SD card, just a lump of inert metal. 

Anyone heard of such a failure?

More to the point, any ideas of a possible fix? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about that, what a bummer!  I've not seen a similar issue on here, though I've heard of a few lockups.  You could try leaving it with the battery out overnight. If that doesn't fix it then I think it is probably really dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed, battery out for a (long) night.

If it works after that, don't forget to set the date and other settings....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, talk about "infant mortality" failures- in the early life of a product adhering to the bathtub curve, the failure rate is high but rapidly decreasing as defective products are identified and discarded, and early sources of potential failure such as handling and installation error are surmounted. In the mid-life of a product—generally speaking for consumer products—the failure rate is low and constant. In the late life of the product, the failure rate increases, as age and wear take their toll on the product. Many electronic consumer product life cycles strongly exhibit the bathtub curve.

Cheers Stan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, sturkel said:

Wow, talk about "infant mortality" failures- in the early life of a product adhering to the bathtub curve, the failure rate is high but rapidly decreasing as defective products are identified and discarded, and early sources of potential failure such as handling and installation error are surmounted. In the mid-life of a product—generally speaking for consumer products—the failure rate is low and constant. In the late life of the product, the failure rate increases, as age and wear take their toll on the product. Many electronic consumer product life cycles strongly exhibit the bathtub curve.

Cheers Stan

That’s a bit too philosophical for me and doesn’t fix the Q2 problem, which is still moribund. My backup camera has nice curves but nothing relating to a bathtub, it’s a Leica III still working perfectly after 85 years.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My comment was to explain how concerning this is to have this type of early event.  We are a small sample here on this forum and the number of issues reported for the number of users shpuld be a concern.

Wish best of luck with a replacement.

 

Cheers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, LexS said:

any news already?

Still dead. Leica mystified.

Of course they mentioned the dreaded water damage, but after losing a camera to the Indian Ocean a few years ago I never go near water and the Q2 is meant to be water resistant, not that I plan on testing it in the shower. I cannot test it here as I’m in Morocco and it’s 44 in the shade. Plus the thing was working and dead 30 seconds later. We are near a river that is bone dry. So even if I wanted to throw it in the river out of sheer annoyance - and I am annoyed - it would be pointless as instead of a splash I’d get a dull thud and a goat would probably walk off with it.

So once I’m back in the UK seems like it’s off to Germany.

This camera is capturing more Airmiles than images at the moment.

Edited by sls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

44 in the shade, huh?  I wonder whether your problem is heat related?  The battery will only charge if the ambient temperature is below 30*C and the camera itself will only work up to 40*C.  If the camera got hot enough to turn itself off?  And, for some reason, isn’t re-setting?  Did you mention the temperature to Leica support?  Not because you did anything wrong, but maybe they could tell you some way to reset things if a temp protection circuit kicked in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jared said:

44 in the shade, huh?  I wonder whether your problem is heat related?  The battery will only charge if the ambient temperature is below 30*C and the camera itself will only work up to 40*C.  If the camera got hot enough to turn itself off?  And, for some reason, isn’t re-setting?  Did you mention the temperature to Leica support?  Not because you did anything wrong, but maybe they could tell you some way to reset things if a temp protection circuit kicked in?

It was under 30c when I was using it in the evening and our hotel room is cool. I’ve used the Q when it was 46c in the shade, in Seville in August. I used the Q and an M Monochrom at -15c with a big windchill, when a Sony packed up. 

I asked Leica if there is a magic reset. Apparently not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Using this backup camera is always fun, I forgot my snippers, found a barber and borrowed a razor blade but almost had to get a haircut. They do odd haircuts here. Then some fisherman wanted a tip for a picture and I assumed the price included the fish. I realised my mistake, I should have haggled to buy the fish and asked for a photo afterwards.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2019 at 10:52 AM, sls said:

It was under 30c when I was using it in the evening and our hotel room is cool. I’ve used the Q when it was 46c in the shade, in Seville in August. I used the Q and an M Monochrom at -15c with a big windchill, when a Sony packed up. 

I asked Leica if there is a magic reset. Apparently not.

Darn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was 48*c and humid in Marrakech yesterday. Too hot to take the lens cap off. Cannot be good for film?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took the Q2 to Leica Duke Street and was shipped to Germany and repaired under warranty in 9 days. Is that a record?

Seems to have been a very rare electro-mechanical failure, I had the Q for 4 years and it was bullet-proof, one reason for getting the Q2.

Edited by sls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear it let you down while you were traveling, but it’s great that you got it back so quickly.  Here’s hoping the rest of your Q2 time is painless and glitch-free.  I got mine also because the Q was so bulletproof and dependable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sls said:

Took the Q2 to Leica Duke Street and was shipped to Germany and repaired under warranty in 9 days. Is that a record?

Seems to have been a very rare electro-mechanical failure, I had the Q for 4 years and it was bullet-proof, one reason for getting the Q2.

Very encouraging!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Read more about our Privacy Policy