Q2 instant death

sls

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had a Q from day of release and it was faultless, even with some accidental mistreatment. I am on my first proper travel trip with a brand new Q2. Have taken about 200 shots. On my first day on this trip it was working fine and then 30 seconds later completely dead. No power, changed batteries, SD card, just a lump of inert metal. 

Anyone heard of such a failure?

More to the point, any ideas of a possible fix? 

Sorry to hear about that, what a bummer!  I've not seen a similar issue on here, though I've heard of a few lockups.  You could try leaving it with the battery out overnight. If that doesn't fix it then I think it is probably really dead.

Wow, talk about "infant mortality" failures- in the early life of a product adhering to the bathtub curve, the failure rate is high but rapidly decreasing as defective products are identified and discarded, and early sources of potential failure such as handling and installation error are surmounted. In the mid-life of a product—generally speaking for consumer products—the failure rate is low and constant. In the late life of the product, the failure rate increases, as age and wear take their toll on the product. Many electronic consumer product life cycles strongly exhibit the bathtub curve.

Cheers Stan

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sturkel said:

Wow, talk about "infant mortality" failures- in the early life of a product adhering to the bathtub curve, the failure rate is high but rapidly decreasing as defective products are identified and discarded, and early sources of potential failure such as handling and installation error are surmounted. In the mid-life of a product—generally speaking for consumer products—the failure rate is low and constant. In the late life of the product, the failure rate increases, as age and wear take their toll on the product. Many electronic consumer product life cycles strongly exhibit the bathtub curve.

Cheers Stan

That’s a bit too philosophical for me and doesn’t fix the Q2 problem, which is still moribund. My backup camera has nice curves but nothing relating to a bathtub, it’s a Leica III still working perfectly after 85 years.

My comment was to explain how concerning this is to have this type of early event.  We are a small sample here on this forum and the number of issues reported for the number of users shpuld be a concern.

Wish best of luck with a replacement.

Cheers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, LexS said:

any news already?

Still dead. Leica mystified.

Of course they mentioned the dreaded water damage, but after losing a camera to the Indian Ocean a few years ago I never go near water and the Q2 is meant to be water resistant, not that I plan on testing it in the shower. I cannot test it here as I’m in Morocco and it’s 44 in the shade. Plus the thing was working and dead 30 seconds later. We are near a river that is bone dry. So even if I wanted to throw it in the river out of sheer annoyance - and I am annoyed - it would be pointless as instead of a splash I’d get a dull thud and a goat would probably walk off with it.

So once I’m back in the UK seems like it’s off to Germany.

This camera is capturing more Airmiles than images at the moment.

Edited by sls

44 in the shade, huh?  I wonder whether your problem is heat related?  The battery will only charge if the ambient temperature is below 30*C and the camera itself will only work up to 40*C.  If the camera got hot enough to turn itself off?  And, for some reason, isn’t re-setting?  Did you mention the temperature to Leica support?  Not because you did anything wrong, but maybe they could tell you some way to reset things if a temp protection circuit kicked in?

1 hour ago, Jared said:

44 in the shade, huh?  I wonder whether your problem is heat related?  The battery will only charge if the ambient temperature is below 30*C and the camera itself will only work up to 40*C.  If the camera got hot enough to turn itself off?  And, for some reason, isn’t re-setting?  Did you mention the temperature to Leica support?  Not because you did anything wrong, but maybe they could tell you some way to reset things if a temp protection circuit kicked in?

It was under 30c when I was using it in the evening and our hotel room is cool. I’ve used the Q when it was 46c in the shade, in Seville in August. I used the Q and an M Monochrom at -15c with a big windchill, when a Sony packed up. 

I asked Leica if there is a magic reset. Apparently not.

Using this backup camera is always fun, I forgot my snippers, found a barber and borrowed a razor blade but almost had to get a haircut. They do odd haircuts here. Then some fisherman wanted a tip for a picture and I assumed the price included the fish. I realised my mistake, I should have haggled to buy the fish and asked for a photo afterwards.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

On 8/17/2019 at 10:52 AM, sls said:

It was under 30c when I was using it in the evening and our hotel room is cool. I’ve used the Q when it was 46c in the shade, in Seville in August. I used the Q and an M Monochrom at -15c with a big windchill, when a Sony packed up. 

I asked Leica if there is a magic reset. Apparently not.

Darn

• 2 weeks later...

Took the Q2 to Leica Duke Street and was shipped to Germany and repaired under warranty in 9 days. Is that a record?

Seems to have been a very rare electro-mechanical failure, I had the Q for 4 years and it was bullet-proof, one reason for getting the Q2.

Edited by sls
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, sls said:

Took the Q2 to Leica Duke Street and was shipped to Germany and repaired under warranty in 9 days. Is that a record?

Seems to have been a very rare electro-mechanical failure, I had the Q for 4 years and it was bullet-proof, one reason for getting the Q2.

Very encouraging!

• 5 months later...

Q2 failed again. This time malfunctioning that was intermittent, made it pretty useless, and it did it in front of two Leica salespeople in Duke Street. Camera went to Germany who thought it was OK, but  I suggested if it was returned to me, as it was only 6 months old I'd just take it to the store and ask for my money back. Sale of Goods Act 1979 and all that stuff.

Thanks to some very good people at Leica in London, I have just received a replacement. All in, inside three weeks. 

Thank you Leica. 

Think this was a one-off manufacturing fault, personally I think it was in or around the shutter button. I'll never know, but pleased to have it back and V2.0 was icing on the cake.

40 minutes ago, sls said:

Q2 failed again. This time malfunctioning that was intermittent, made it pretty useless, and it did it in front of two Leica salespeople in Duke Street. Camera went to Germany who thought it was OK, but  I suggested if it was returned to me, as it was only 6 months old I'd just take it to the store and ask for my money back. Sale of Goods Act 1979 and all that stuff.

Thanks to some very good people at Leica in London, I have just received a replacement. All in, inside three weeks. 

Thank you Leica. 

Think this was a one-off manufacturing fault, personally I think it was in or around the shutter button. I'll never know, but pleased to have it back and V2.0 was icing on the cake.

Glad to hear you’re back in business. 

Shit happnz,
i had several of this issues with several manuafcturers and gear including a brand new ASUS laptop.

Instant child death, electronic gear usually breaks immediately or then after a long time.

Important is that LEICA first fixed and then replaced the camera, thats the correct behaviour of a a prime camera manufacturer.

Chris