Edit on the go or wait to get home

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 minutes ago, NZDavid said:

No, why? Gotta be careful but it saves time later. Couldn’t do that with film. I still try to be discriminating but digital does encourage you to shoot more.

To each his own, but I think deleting pics in camera, or even in post, would encourage sloppiness and more shooting. I try to exercise similar discipline to film days, with the result that I shoot only slightly more digitally (yes, I researched). The difference for me is the ability to shoot color and b/w together, and to check the histogram (especially DNG on the MM) for particularly important shots to avert blown highlights.  But even there, years shooting slide film promoted careful technique.  The biggest benefit of digital for me is the convenience and flexibility of PP compared to darkroom days, without the smell, chemical concerns and setup/cleanup time.  In the end, though, whatever works.

Jeff

• Like 1

Not at all, I look back and decide do I really need that picture? Often I take one subject from different angles with slightly different exposures and would do the same with slide film. But I would only need to keep a few of them.  

6 minutes ago, NZDavid said:

Not at all, I look back and decide do I really need that picture? Often I take one subject from different angles with slightly different exposures and would do the same with slide film. But I would only need to keep a few of them.  

Understandable Rationale - 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NZDavid said:

No, why? Gotta be careful but it saves time later. Couldn’t do that with film. I still try to be discriminating but digital does encourage you to shoot more.

It’s bad for the environment 

Another poxy day in wet windy Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1 minute ago, NW67 said:

Another poxy day in wet windy Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

That's Scotland for You... Laddie, put a raincoat on and get out there,,,

53 minutes ago, NZDavid said:

A few spots on the sensor, alas. I can see them on my MacBook. Not sure if you can spot them in low res. Always a pain. 

At least there's no smoke from smoke-belching vehicles thundering across the landscape!

There were quite a few Harley’s thurndering accros the Scottish highlands yesterday.......love the sound of a Harley coming and going

Another one shot out of the car window in horizontal rain

33 minutes ago, NW67 said:

Another one shot out of the car window in horizontal rain

Must be the horizontal rain that’s causing the chromatic aberration and soft focus, Neil.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, NZDavid said:

Has been held responsible for corrupted cards, I think the delete process is not so robust as on a hard drive in a computer.   Better to download and then format the card in camera.

Gerry 

• Thanks 1

That is what the Internet keeps telling us. I have, as far as I can recall, never heard of a single instance of a card being corrupted by deleting. I've had the (bad?) habit for many years without one mishap.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, gyoung said:

Has been held responsible for corrupted cards, I think the delete process is not so robust as on a hard drive in a computer.   Better to download and then format the card in camera.

Gerry 

I'm not about the robustness of the delete process.

The deleting a file - on a computer anyway - doesn't erase the data, it just tells the file management system to ignore the file and free up the space for a new file. The data will still exist on the drive until it is written over. This is why data recovery applications work when a user accidentally deletes a file.

I've deleted files in-camera before and never had a problem. If anyone has a good explanation as to why it's supposed to be so bad, I'd like to hear it.

20 minutes ago, ianman said:

I'm not about the robustness of the delete process.

The deleting a file - on a computer anyway - doesn't erase the data, it just tells the file management system to ignore the file and free up the space for a new file. The data will still exist on the drive until it is written over. This is why data recovery applications work when a user accidentally deletes a file.

I've deleted files in-camera before and never had a problem. If anyone has a good explanation as to why it's supposed to be so bad, I'd like to hear it.

Never seen a technical reason, in theory all should be well, but there is lots of anecdotal evidence on forums, and personally long and sometimes bitter experience of removable storage media, floopy disks, optical, zip, jazz etc  as well as SD drives means I have had more reliable service ehen reformatting in the device to be used and avoiding the Delete key.

Gerry 

11 minutes ago, gyoung said:

floopy disks, optical, zip, jazz etc

were all mechanical drives and formatting once in a while was a good idea for defragmentation purposes. SSD do not require this, but if it works for you, it's fine. Just remember that it will probably decrease their lifespan.

12 hours ago, NZDavid said:

You obviously are ignorant of the possibility of messing up the card directory by doing what you do.  I agree,  there's a good chance you'll save editing time later. :D

1 hour ago, ianman said:

were all mechanical drives and formatting once in a while was a good idea for defragmentation purposes. SSD do not require this, but if it works for you, it's fine. Just remember that it will probably decrease their lifespan.

I'd still rather start off with a nice clean empty file allocation table each time, and no 'left over' data from deletes, no matter how the data is written to the media. 

Gerry 

Edited by gyoung