Edit on the go or wait to get home

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We usually have late afternoon downtime when traveling.  However, I delete clear failures as I go.  Then, since I bring my 12" Retina display Mac I transfer files to it.  I go through the files writing down which ones to process.  Then I process.  Doing this daily keeps tedium at bay.

I use Leica’s Fotos for “on the go shots”. Sometimes I use the Afterlight app after I get an image into my phone. I’ve never felt “desperate” to share an iPhone photo with anyone.

“Real” photo editing goes on via  my IMac or MacBook Air with PhotoMechanic and Photoshop. 

3 hours ago, NW67 said:

Neither  wonder. It’s a tiny jpg

all of my pictures from my trip will be uploaded to my website where they can be viewed in full resolution at a later date. In the meantime may I sunset you view them on your phone (iPhone preferred)

neil

Above pic looks fuzzy overall, with distant focal point rather washed out, on my small iPhone 6s screen.

Jeff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

Above pic looks fuzzy overall, with distant focal point rather washed out, on my small iPhone 6s screen.

Jeff

Time to upgrade to the X-R Jeff........better than anything you’ve ever posted on here......... period

49 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I went to clean my spectacles. :D It is rather oversaturated too, the greens especially.

That’s subjective........... you should know better

4 minutes ago, NW67 said:

Time to upgrade to the X-R Jeff........better than anything you’ve ever posted on here......... period

I find that printing makes me a far more discerning editor.  People tend to get too excited with their latest creation, especially on bright and colorful screens.  No rush for me, and no need to rely on others to do my editing or to bolster my choices or to offer critique. I often live for weeks with work prints of decent pics, tweaking this or that, only to decide that a display print is not worth the time and expense. Social media also provides no interest. Editing on the go?  No need, and actually counterproductive for me.  To each his/her own.

Jeff

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, NW67 said:

Congratulations to have both

Well now, I suppose it is an extravagance having two Macs, but part of my job before retirement was covering sports all over Texas and Louisiana, and one can’t very well carry an iMac around in one’s camera bag, thus the MacBook Air.

• Haha 2

Where's the point of focus? I trash any pics with technical faults . You can  discern them on a small screen but sometimes you have to evaluate them later on on a bigger higher res screen. The exception being if it's a one-off news picture, say if you got snap of a spacecraft landing or the Loch Ness monster. (But those pics always seem to end up fuzzy for some reason.) 

38 minutes ago, NZDavid said:

Where's the point of focus? I trash any pics with technical faults . You can  discern them on a small screen but sometimes you have to evaluate them later on on a bigger higher res screen. The exception being if it's a one-off news picture, say if you got snap of a spacecraft landing or the Loch Ness monster. (But those pics always seem to end up fuzzy for some reason.) 

14 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I find that printing makes me a far more discerning editor.  People tend to get too excited with their latest creation, especially on bright and colorful screens.  No rush for me, and no need to rely on others to do my editing or to bolster my choices or to offer critique. I often live for weeks with work prints of decent pics, tweaking this or that, only to decide that a display print is not worth the time and expense. Social media also provides no interest. Editing on the go?  No need, and actually counterproductive for me.  To each his/her own.

Jeff

Editing on the go on an iPad is also saving the environment, you can’t imagine how much more fuel was burned to keep those plant killing iMacs and printers going while you spent hours processing them..........what about all that fine art printing papers you are using😂🤷🏼‍♂️😂🤷🏼‍♂️😂🤷🏼‍♂️

But only if your iPad is is powered by PVs... and it still depends on the fuel and its percentage you are burning yourself to keep running! 😉

But truly, no more power expended for using a higher res screen than a low-res smaller one. Printing is another matter entirely.

Edited by NZDavid