Lightroom perpetual licence and MacOS Catalina

2 hours ago, marchyman said:

Works for me.  Catalina Version 10.15 (19A593).  Luminar 3 Version 3.1.3 (4280).

I haven't actually tried it on Catalina, but was going by what Skylum had stated. They'd suggested not updating to Catalina.

The inability to save edits was what interested me. But as Nik of Raw Photos has pointed that's not the way to go, i.e as a Mac Photos external editor.

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006289380-MacOS-10-15-Catalina-Compatibility-

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wellfleet

3 hours ago, russell said:

I emailed Datacolor to see if they offered an upgrade path from an older Spyder.  Nope.  Nada.

My upgrade path with be with an alternative product from a company other than Datacolor.  Any advise?

If you're looking for software you might check here to see if DisplayCal works for your spyder - https://displaycal.net

I'm using it with  XRite.

Edited by wellfleet

Adobe makes a similar statement in regards to Photoshop / Lightroom and Catalina.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

I have been an early adopter of macOS upgrades in the past.  But I won't be installing Calatina for the foreseeable future.  I have looked at my list of 32-bit apps.  But it is hard to know if these apps are used anymore.  I probably have cloned my system drive too many times.

16 hours ago, russell said:

I emailed Datacolor to see if they offered an upgrade path from an older Spyder.  Nope.  Nada.

My upgrade path with be with an alternative product from a company other than Datacolor.  Any advise?

I asked the same question recently in this thread: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/301275-screen-calibration-choices/

and received some excellent suggestions, including the one about DisplayCal.  I have not switched to DisplayCal yet as I am holding off the Catalina upgrade for now, but I have the page bookmarked for the inevitable need.

I have been having trouble with Photoshop lockups even with macOS Mojave, on two entirely different Macs.  I talked to Adobe customer support several times.  Each time they wanted me to turn off the "use graphics processor" option which I won't do.  (In fact Photoshop won't load for me right now.)  Rebooting solves the issue for a while.  I received a long survey asking for many aspects of when the lockups occur and other details.  So Adobe seems to be well aware of the problem, but it doesn't sound like it is fixed with Catalina.

I posted the Adobe URL for Photoshop and Catalina issues.  There is a similar URL for Lightroom and Catalina issues.

I don't use Lightroom so I can't comment on it directly.

20 hours ago, wellfleet said:

I haven't actually tried it on Catalina, but was going by what Skylum had stated. They'd suggested not updating to Catalina.

Interesting.  I primarily use Lighroom and have only played a bit with Luminar as I recently got it free through a promotion with SmugMug.  It works on my machine both standalone and as a Lightroom plugin.  I don't use Photos so haven't run into the "can't save edits back into Photos" bug.  Perhaps if I played more with it in standalone mode I'd run into the folder issue they mention.

Apple just released a Supplemental version of Catalina 10.15, just one week after Catalina's official release.  It's hard to know what problems were fixed and what problems still are there.  10.15.1 beta is already in developers hands.  I'm still sticking with Mojave for now.

2 hours ago, marchyman said:

Interesting.  I primarily use Lighroom and have only played a bit with Luminar as I recently got it free through a promotion with SmugMug.  It works on my machine both standalone and as a Lightroom plugin.  I don't use Photos so haven't run into the "can't save edits back into Photos" bug.  Perhaps if I played more with it in standalone mode I'd run into the folder issue they mention.

I'll be curious to see what happens to 3 after 4 has been released. They're big on promises with little follow thru. I won't be buying four, which is looking less and less interesting.

Raw Power has a big update coming before the New Year, so they're going to be my go to converter. Nik Bhatt of Raw Power used to be one of the lead engineers/designers(?) for Aperture which had been my go to software until Apple made the "announcement," so I'll stick with him, and use Affinity when needed. 

Edited by wellfleet

1 hour ago, zeitz said:

Apple just released a Supplemental version of Catalina 10.15, just one week after Catalina's official release.  It's hard to know what problems were fixed and what problems still are there.  10.15.1 beta is already in developers hands.  I'm still sticking with Mojave for now.

Thanks, just downloaded it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just updated to Catalina and I left Lightroom 6.14 on the computer and removed the 32 bit Adobe Manager. Lightroom works fine as before so I wait until I subscribe or change to another program. I have had Lightroom from the beginning and I am reluctant to change until there is an alternative with a  good DAM.

• 1 month later...

Lightroom 6 will work on macOS Catalina if it's already installed.  But if you buy a new computer with Catalina already installed (like the 16" MacBook Pro I'm typing this on), and you like to do fresh installs of software on a new computer... you're out of luck.  the Adobe installer is 32-bit and rather than fixing that, Adobe looks at it as an opportunity to push you towards their subscription model.  No thanks.

My solution for the time being is to run Lightroom 6, Photoshop 6, and Dreamweaver 5 out of a virtual machine, running High Sierra.  I've used VMWare Fusion for many years as my virtualization solution, but switched back to Parallels for this.

I don't blame Apple for dropping 32-bit support.  64-bit software has been around for a long, long time, and Apple announced cessation of 32-bit support quite awhile back.  I do blame all the firms who chose - oftentimes out of blatant, naked self-interest - who should have updated their software back in 2010.  Like the aforementioned Adobe.  Or Hasselblad... who have deliberately orphaned FlexColor, leaving their uber expensive Flextight line of scanner customers holding the bag.  Hasselblad will never again see a dime from me. 

The good news in all this is gaining some insight into many of the companies in our industry... and their prevailing philosophies and sentiments towards their customers.

I'm now convinced Adobe is a lost cause and my longer term approach will be to move away from all their products.  

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 3:01 AM, Jager said:

I'm now convinced Adobe is a lost cause and my longer term approach will be to move away from all their products.  

I saw this coming a few years ago and carefully scraped Adobe software from my Mac OS machines.  The only Adobe apps left standing are the stand-alone Flash Player (need it for legacy animations I need to present) and Adobe DNG Converter (lossless RAW compression to DNG).

Everything else went.  Photoshop?  Affinity Photo.  Lightroom?  Capture One Pro.  Premiere… was difficult to replace, but made do with iMovie (yes I know) and am currently looking at the paid-version of Davinci Resolve.

Adobe were once giants. Now I'm just looking forward to never giving them any more money for the rest of my life.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, AZN said:

Adobe were once giants. Now I'm just looking forward to never giving them any more money for the rest of my life.

+1.

Lightroom has been my most-used photographic program, by far, for many years.  I'm now on day three of a deep-dive into Capture One - their 30-day free trial makes evaluating it very easy to do.  

I've been an avid fan of Photoshop and Lightroom since version 1 of those programs.  But, yeah, Adobe's hubris and arrogance have been on public display for quite a few years now.

The hard part is laying aside all that hard-fought knowledge that comes from literally thousands of hours spent with a program.  But once you've committed to it, and opened your mind to a slightly different philosophy/paradigm, it becomes much easier.

I can already tell I'm going to like Capture One.  I used it a bit, back in the day (Leica bundled a Capture One license with their M8).  It now seems to be a very polished product.

Edited by Jager
  • Like 1