Lightroom perpetual licence and MacOS Catalina

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

Not being able to use my company's 25,000 dollar scanner on a current OS because Apple decides to remove support for something which they have supported concurrently with 64 bit for ages.

Shouldn't you be mad at the scanner company for not keeping its drivers current?  I would be.  Why does Apple get all the blame?   Why should they have to keep supporting old system libraries that may well contain security issues because a $25,000 scanner company is too cheap to have a programmer or three maintain their product?

FYI: Wacom has updated its tablet drivers to work with Catalina.  Only those running the beta will ever know that there was a short term issue.

Believe me, I am livid at Hasselblad...they have not updated the software for ten years, but were happy to sell the scanner until last year. If you search about this issue on the net, you will find that I am not the only one, and a bunch of FlexColor users tried to find a solution, even getting the scanner supported by Vuescan or Silverfast. But I am also mad at Apple. as there is no reason why they have to do this. They are doing this arbitrarily to goad their software designers to update, but it is having the effect of making things really inconvenient for users who do not have the option of upgrading. Perhaps they do not have the resources or desire to update their computer, hardware or software? Like in the case of people using the stand alone licences for the Adobe suite, or people who have an older calibration tool.  Or perhaps they rely on software from a defunct or intransigent software company, like in my case. 

Jaapv, thank you for reminding me of dual booting. It is an option, but the challenge with that is that it is a big hassle and waste of space. I bought my Mac Pro at a time when the SSD drives were extremely expensive so the boot drive is only 256 gb. Adding an entire OS on there and rebooting every time I need to make a scan and doing it again when I need to work the file...it does not seem worth it. At least not yet. Which is why I am certainly staying with Mojave for now...

Edited by Stuart Richardson

28 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

Jaapv, thank you for reminding me of dual booting. It is an option, but the challenge with that is that it is a big hassle and waste of space. I bought my Mac Pro at a time when the SSD drives were extremely expensive so the boot drive is only 256 gb. Adding an entire OS on there and rebooting every time I need to make a scan and doing it again when I need to work the file...it does not seem worth it. At least not yet. Which is why I am certainly staying with Mojave for now...

You could look at using virtualisation with VirtualBox (free, but not very good with Catalina at the moment and a little unstable with some usb devices) or Parallels (not free, but better with usb out of the box) and then you can use lots of different OS’s such as previous versions of OSX or even windows. You can also set it to use the minimum amount of disk space necessary to run eg. for leopard etc it’s around 20-30 GB (you may be able to get away with less) and can be run as an app like any other on your Mac, hence no dual boot and access to all of your other apps such as mail, browser etc.

Edited by Bobitybob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

Believe me, I am livid at Hasselblad...they have not updated the software for ten years, but were happy to sell the scanner until last year. If you search about this issue on the net, you will find that I am not the only one, and a bunch of FlexColor users tried to find a solution, even getting the scanner supported by Vuescan or Silverfast. But I am also mad at Apple. as there is no reason why they have to do this. They are doing this arbitrarily to goad their software designers to update, but it is having the effect of making things really inconvenient for users who do not have the option of upgrading. Perhaps they do not have the resources or desire to update their computer, hardware or software? Like in the case of people using the stand alone licences for the Adobe suite, or people who have an older calibration tool.  Or perhaps they rely on software from a defunct or intransigent software company, like in my case. 

Time to replace that SSD, I would say.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just received an email from Datacolor saying the Spyder4 will not work with 64-bit and offering a 'discount' on the latest SpyderX.  They don't bother to say why the SpyderX is better, if at all.  I don't think I want to stay with a company which uses software changes to abitrarily force the obsolescence of its products.

Might start a separate thread on screen calibration choices.

• 1 month later...

People on this forum spend tens of thousands of dollars on Leica lenses and cameras almost frivolously, yet complain bitterly when a $900 computer that they've used for eight years needs to be replaced with something newer or a $60 piece of software is no longer supported. 

That's what really doesn't make sense to me. 🤣

I've been irritated more and more at Adobe for the past five or more years and drew my line in the sand. I haven't used Photoshop since 2014, and LR 6.14 is the last version I'll use .. It will live forever on my mid-2012 Mac mini along with Mojave for when I need it.

I will soon order a new Mac mini, it'll come with Catalina, and I will configure it from scratch with other software that does the job I need done. The one and only 'unusual' piece of kit I have is my Xrite i1 Display Pro; I'll have to check the compatibility on that software. The rest of it, I'm ready and waiting to move to the new game. :D 

G

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 3

Printer drivers are my concern with Catalina, and Epson are silent on the issue. Unless you actually need any of the new features seem's best to stick with what you have until it plays out. Big issue with changing to a new Mac though, unless you go through loading 32bit OS of your choice. Agree with ramarren about LR, and you will need to upgrade sometime or look elsewhere. 

On 10/9/2019 at 2:44 PM, ramarren said:

People on this forum spend tens of thousands of dollars on Leica lenses and cameras almost frivolously, yet complain bitterly when a $900 computer that they've used for eight years needs to be replaced with something newer or a $60 piece of software is no longer supported. 

That's what really doesn't make sense to me. 🤣

I've been irritated more and more at Adobe for the past five or more years and drew my line in the sand. I haven't used Photoshop since 2014, and LR 6.14 is the last version I'll use .. It will live forever on my mid-2012 Mac mini along with Mojave for when I need it.

I will soon order a new Mac mini, it'll come with Catalina, and I will configure it from scratch with other software that does the job I need done. The one and only 'unusual' piece of kit I have is my Xrite i1 Display Pro; I'll have to check the compatibility on that software. The rest of it, I'm ready and waiting to move to the new game. :D 

G

I don't think it is the price Adobe is charging, just the sheer greed and lack of integrity.  Like others on this forum I am willing to spend on value for money (I don't know about "tens of thousands of dollars").  Old argument, so I'll stop there.

When you configure your Catalina machine what image processing software do you plan to use?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rob_w said:

When you configure your Catalina machine what image processing software do you plan to use?

I've been working with On1, Luminar, and RAW Power as LR replacements. I also have Affinity Photo, which is more a PS replacement. In terms of what fits my uses best, I'm not yet decided which is "best" but the notion of using RAW Power as a processing enhancement to Photos, and using Photos to do my overall image management stuff, is fairly appealing at present. And the fact that there are versions to run on iOS, iPadOS, and macOS means one system on all my devices. 

That's where my thinking is at present, anyway. I'm still developing the strategy. :D

G

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ramarren said:

I've been working with On1, Luminar, and RAW Power as LR replacements.

Thanks.  Yes, I've tried all those, and DXO and C1.  I thought Luminar was slightly better but not by much, and it still needs another one or two releases to get into the usable zone.  It has added basic library management; only basic, which is all I need.  I had the same thought about RAW Power and Photos, but just could not get along with RAW Power editing.

C1 is a quality product -- just that it is too much for the PP I mostly need to do.  If I were a fine art photographer using it all day long, it would be my first choice.  As an amateur I wouldn't use it enough to become sufficiently practised and fast with it. 

It took me a while to get my head around RAW Power's editing model, but I'm finally getting happy with it. I also have been using SnapSeed on my iPad Pro a good bit of the time ... I find it more intuitive than most of the the others, but I think it's iOS and iPadOS specific. (They used to have a macOS version but that's gone now.)

C1 is often ballyhooed as the best around. Every time I've tried it, I get totally frustrated by its weird, overly complicated UI and the way it take a half hour's study just to get started, never mind figure out all of its subtleties and nuances. Plus the fact that it's expensive, it always lags behind OS releases by months ... Just not for me. 

In the end, all of the current tools can do a good job. Whichever one suits your notions of workflow and easy of use, rememberability, is the one to pick. I've gotten a lot done with just Photos nowadays ... Apple keeps improving it. 

G

I think you just summed up my C1 experience as well.

Initially I was not too bothered about "AI" features in more modern competitors but now I am more open-minded.  There is so much repetition in the PP I do all the time, let's see if it really makes PP faster/easier.

On 10/9/2019 at 10:08 AM, pedaes said:

Printer drivers are my concern with Catalina, and Epson are silent on the issue. Unless you actually need any of the new features seem's best to stick with what you have until it plays out. Big issue with changing to a new Mac though, unless you go through loading 32bit OS of your choice. Agree with ramarren about LR, and you will need to upgrade sometime or look elsewhere. 

Both my Epson printers work with Catalina, those being a 3880 and XP-410 Expression. Epson just released new drivers for both of them on 10/8/2019.

Like Godfrey (Ramarren), I've been using Raw Photo and Mac Photos for most of my processing. I, too, have Luminar and Affinity, but they don't see much time. I do like the way Photos allows you to use almost any program as an external editor, plus its DAM works for me. Luckily I didn't have any 32-bit programs to keep me from upgrading to Catalina.

Has anyone tried out Exposure X5, formerly Alien Skin? That's on my to do list.

Edited by wellfleet

the LR style workspace in C1 is simpler to work with

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, wellfleet said:

Has anyone tried out Exposure X5, formerly Alien Skin?

Yes.   Unfortunately it did not work for me due to the number of B&W scans I have in my photo library.  I scan B&W using 16-bit Grey.   Exposure (whatever version was current in May when I did my trial) couldn't process those images unless I converted them to some color model.  By "couldn't process" I mean the app didn't even show previews of jpeg images with 

• Thanks 1

This posting appeared in a Mac Rumors forum.  Looks like a painful workaround to me:

"Photoshop CS6 with apparently latest updates (13.0.6) refused to launch for me - circle with a line through it icon.

So I had a poke in the package contents for Photoshop CS6.app and I was able to successfully launch it from the unix file and start doing things. Not tested extensively yet, but so far so good without a crash.

Two ways to launch it:

1. Right-click on 'Photoshop CS6.app' then click 'Show Package Contents'
2. Navigate via Contents -> MacOS
3. Open the unix file 'Adobe Photoshop CS6'

Or if you run this from a terminal:"

/Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS6/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS6.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS6 ; exit;