Sign in to follow this  
Peter Wright

What is the best flash for the CL?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything:

I have found that in using my M240, I needed to use a flash either on manual or auto-thrystor (where the flash determines the exposure without any input from the camera) as the camera with my SF24D used in TTL mode was very unpredictable.  My work-around was to use manual (my Godox Oly remote and AD200 flash work very well), or to use the auto-thrystor mode on my SF24D or Oly 600R flash guns.  I had hoped that the CL would solve this problem, and I would be able to use the SF24D in TTL mode.  Alas no.  In some circumstances I just can't get the results I am looking for, no matter what I do.  I have used flash systems for Canon, Nikon, and Olympus cameras, but Leica seems the most problematic.  Indoors in a standard room it is fine, anything more challenging and who knows what will happen.  Or is it just that I have the wrong flash gun?  If you have been getting good (by which I mean consistent and controllable) results using the CL and TTL flash outdoors, large rooms, etc., I would like to know what you are using.  I notice that the current Leica flash guns do not include an auto-thyristor mode, and I don't want to spend the asking price and find I am no further forward. Am I missing something, or do I simply need to stick with manual and auto-thyristor?  Inputs appreciated.

I find the SF40 completely reliable on my CL. Possibly a bit limited for heavy professional work, but then, I am not a professional.

TTL flash are broken with all digital Leica. 

A shame. Every über expensive Leica branded flash are not reliable in TTL. 

Just use any manual cheap flash system. Manual flash is not hard to use. And consistent. If you need to compensate, just change aperture. 

by the way, do not use on camera flash. Wireless triggers are awesome. 

Looks like if I want up to date on-camera flash capability on my CL, I may have to just bite the bullet and get an SF40!  At least (from looking at in on B&H) the interface is very basic and easy to use – important for me 😄!